Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting Thoughts

+4
scott elkins
sabrjay
fisherboy7
TheBig6
8 posters

Go down

Collecting Thoughts Empty Collecting Thoughts

Post by TheBig6 Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 am

I don't know about you but I am always re-thinking how I go about collecting these wonderful Cards we love so much. I have always been a Hof collector from day one and never changed. If I had a common I was looking to get rid of it.. I was such a staunt Hof collector that I once sold a Dogshead Stovey, but thats another story. While this strategy has kept me focused,
I'm always noticing some of the beautiful cards you guys post that i'm missing out on, whether it be minor league sets like T212's or beautiful commons in standard issues, etc.

I am just kinda scared to step off the ledge for where it might lead, being on a fixed income kind of limits the amount of cards I can buy. Although,I'm very tempted to put my toe in the water and see how it feels. Looks like it would be alot of fun.

NOW, Anybody got a salmon background SGC 50 Obak for sale?

Just Venting a temptation,

Anybody care to share their collecting thoughts

Last edited by on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Collecting Thoughts Empty Re: Collecting Thoughts

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:16 pm

I hear ya, Jerry. Some collectors enjoy having a defined focus so they feel like they are getting closer and closer to a goal with each pickup. Many others, like myself, don't set restraints like that. If I see a card that looks good and I really like, I go for it. Simple as that. If it's a rarity, that's a bonus too.

Maybe a happy medium would be a mini type collection. Say, if there's an Obak common you really like, buy it and cross Obaks off your list. Granted, you'll likely fall short of getting one example from every prewar set, but the appeal is that you only get cards you like a lot, and you also get a taste of all sorts of different sets without having to break the bank on big name HOFers.

This approach wouldn't mean dropping the work you've done already. You could have this mini type collection going in unison with your current HOF collecting pursuits. Could be fun Exclamation
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:59 pm

In the 80s, I was completely unfocused. I just bought what I liked or what appealed to me. Sure, I completed a lot sets, but there was never a sense of accomplishment, since I never really had a goal beyond buying anything I could.

this time around, my focus is the player set and even though I don't have anywhere near the number of cards I did in the 80s, my sense of making progress and getting something done is there.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:25 am

My collection consists of both. I have a focus on some rare T206 backs and T206 subsets. However, I love to collect cards with backgrounds I find attractive as well - from sunsets to pink backgrounds. This is when I usually buy cards simply b/c of their looks - not b/c they fit into what I am collecting.

One of the great things about collecting Pre War Cards is that there are so many ways to collect.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:48 am

I started out trying to get all the HOFers and buying some T202s and T206s. It evolved to getting all the T206 Cubs and then trying to finish teams as this evolved I was accumulating T202s to the point where I decided to go for the set. I then realized the HOFer thing was a pain in the ass and dropped that. As my T206 collecting evolved I decided to go for all but the Demmitt/O'Hare up. I completed the T202s in 4 years and the T206s in 5 years. I have bought and sold quite a few times in the interm and have tried to keep my focus on T206 Cycle 460 backs and trying to get all the T202 and there different backs (that may take quite a few years if even possible.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:14 am

HOFers, pink backgrounds, collecting by team, player sets, record holders and other set focuses are all theme sets. I prefer a theme that does not require that I only obtain top tier players, but does require some. This would include, for example, players who hit 4 hr in a game. Some are relatively no name players while others are household name caliber.

Selecting a theme is a popular approach, as is buying with an eye for appreciation and sale, set collecting, and others are all popular alternates.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:01 pm

I guess I would fall into the set collector category. Iv'e already finished the E90-1 set and am now looking for another
to start. Not sure which one yet though. It takes patience but the end result is well worth it.
Tony
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Of course you couldn't do it (well, that is, I couldn't afford to) put together a set like e90-1 in which all of the cards had equal value. But perhaps a lesser set could be assembled in which every card was graded so that at the time of assembly each card had approximately the same price. Say $250 for each card, or whatever is feasible. And then just sit back and watch them.

I think that would be a fun set.

Heckofa set tho. E90-1 = many classics. congrats
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:31 pm

Congrats on the e90-1 set. Not an easy set complete. If you are up to it, we'd love to see you post some or all of it in the virtual set area.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:45 am

tony, i hear the e107s is another nice little caramel set if u wanna go that route. seriously if i have the fund i might consider a VG-VG/EX t204 ramly set, only the johnson and maybe plank will set you back and there are a few guys on the board who can help you already.

i was almost tempted to say cracker jack but those are so blaise. everybody and their grandmas are working on the set Smile
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 am

Okay, as Jay requested I went ahead and listed my E90-1 set in Virtual Sets & Checklist's
in the 'Helpful Information for Collectors section" which can be found in Hobby Talk.
Hopefully the link was successful. Sgc's new Registy software is truly awesome.
Thanks, Tony
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Collecting Thoughts Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Collecting Thoughts Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 am

Works fine and looks great. Thanks.

Now I just need to talk you out of that Upp card Wink

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down