Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reports from the 2010 National

+15
the-illini
bowlingshoeguy
t206head
rholmes
terjung
Square_Frame_Ramly
cccc
jbonie
zouraspm
Jewish-collector
Tennisguy
sabrjay
Bosox Blair
crazylocomerk
fisherboy7
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Empty Re: Reports from the 2010 National

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:33 am

Sorry Brian, I had you on the list and just figured it was you, maybe the real Brian or Alan can clear up the Brian mystery.

Wish we could have met Ray and Brian (terjung), hope you had a good show.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Empty Re: Reports from the 2010 National

Post by the-illini Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:51 pm

I was at the National for two days - all day Thursday and Friday. I thought in terms of vintage material it was the best show I had been to. Certainly beat last years' National in my opinion.

Prices were high to downright laughable (750 bucks for an SGC 10 Star Player Candy common anyone?) but most dealers were willing to eat 10-20% of their sticker prices, and if they weren't, I just moved on to the next vintage-filled table. There were plenty of em.

I was able to acquire some really neat cards. Nothing I purchased was a steal, but I didn't feel like I had been held up either. When you are buying at a show, I think that is the best you can hope for. Here is a list of what I picked up

• 1926 Postcard of Grover Alexander in formal wear, with a notation celebrating the Cardinals World Series win that year
  • N 175 Gypsy Queen Tim Keefe - SGC A - labeled a "Salesman Sample". Full card that is extra thick; bought it from Terry Knouse.
  • E101 John Evers
  • N172 OJ Mcglone, tagging out a baserunner - just liked the pose
  • 1888 Studio Cabinet of Roger Connor in formal wear
  • Collins McCarthy Walter Johnson
All in all it was a really good show; I think having it on the east coast brought some new dealers/material to the show that had been missing for a couple of years. I do have to say that the facility the show was held at was disappointing though - nowhere to sit (saw people eating food while sitting on the floor) and the bathrooms were rough, to put it nicely. All in all a pretty good show though!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:59 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Sorry Brian, I had you on the list and just figured it was you, maybe the real Brian or Alan can clear up the Brian mystery.

Wish we could have met Ray and Brian (terjung), hope you had a good show.

Lee

No worries. Sounds like you had a great time too. I wish I could've picked up more than the two that I did, but it just wasn't in the cards... so to speak. I loved going to the live auctions, not only to watch whales battling it out, but also to see some of the incredible items that were for sale. Some things went much higher than expected and others much lower... so, all in all pretty typical auctions that way. Among the notable items was a Cap Anson game used bat that sold for $240k + vig. Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Icon_eek
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Empty Had a great time.

Post by nolemmings Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:08 pm

VENUE
I was very impressed with Baltimore and the venue, having never seen either before. It was my favorite of the National venues I've visited thus far, and although as a city Chicago may have more going for it, Baltimore had so much right there within walking distance that you would have to make an effort to have a bad time. I stayed at the Sheraton, about a 50 yard catwalk to the Convention Center. It was about a block from the Inner Harbor, with plenty of restaurants (Morton's was in my hotel), bars and shops, where they had outdoor live music on Saturday and throngs of folks just strolling around---nice police presence too. A little more than a block the other way was Camden Yards (the Hilton is closer), where I took in a game Friday night and part of a game Thursday--we went on a whim and paid a $10 "late arrival" charge to see the game from the bottom of the 6th to the end. It was 0-0 when we were buying our tix and ended 5-4, so plenty of action. I spent about 20 hours at the Show throughout my stay, and wanted to do other things. Surely there is so much more in the surrounding area, but even the few square blocks where I went were well worthwhile. Also, there were at least a half dozen hotels within walking distance of the convention cnter. Bring it on back here again, I say.

Board members
I really enjoyed meeting several board members. Time was too short as always, but I got to knock back a few plus a few more and then some more at the Hilton after the Friday night game with Lee and Peter, where I shot the breeze with many of our fellow hobbyists. Saturday's dinner was enjoyable, and should become a fixture in the future. Lee and I wandered and squandered throughout the surrounding area. Good thing the ATM was right next to the Convention Center--God forbid we come home with any $$$ in the wallet.

Show/Dealers
I thought the show was about the same as the other Nationals I've attended. There was a lot of ebay inventory present and not marked down. Prices were high to ridiculous for the most part, and haggling was expected. One guy actually raised his price on a Roush I wanted--on Sunday no less. Action built up every day until Sunday, by which time many dealers had left as is SOP. There were plenty of items to look at, and it's always cool to take a gander at the very high end stuff and full/near set lots that are part of the upcoming auctions. My purchases were not numerous and I bought no collection centerpiece, but I was pleased overall with what I snagged.
One story that amused me. I found a stack of low-mid grade m101 blank and common backs, all slabbed. Only one card was not marked, a common player with Standard Biscuit back graded SCG 50. This card should go in the $100-$120 range, give or take. Anyway, when I asked the seller for a price, he looked it over and said $120. I took out the cash and paid him, then hovered around. The three "sellers" behind the table immediately huddled and whispered, then reached for a SCD big book. I stood nearby with a slight smirk on my face, as it appeared to me that they were worried they had been taken on some difficult variation that they let go cheap. One of them looked at me and then seemed even more troubled by my smile- I mean I hadn't asked for the obligatory 10-20% discount- and I don't think they could remember the player on the card to even look him up properly. Now that transaction probably cost me $10-15 by not haggling, but the experience itself was priceless.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Nice Review Todd
I wish I would have went.
Thats funny about the dealers and the Standard Biscuit, I guess you not haggling scared them, don't you wish it would have been a Successfull Farming. That would have had them flipping pages. lol
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:57 pm

very nice TRs. i was/am just super busy this year but thinking about hitting it up next year to browse at all the overpriced cards on ebay in person and meeting hobby friends i haven't seen in a few years.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 pm

What a sad story I have to report from the 2010 National. Over past the corporate section on the way to the TriStar autograph pavillion there were two guys from Cherry Hill, NJ (I think) set up. They had mostly pre-war vintage, wit some post-war vintage. They had a couple of cards I was interested including an E95 Wagner and an E120 Youngs.

Anyway. I was talking to them each day, trying to see if they'd come down any, and on the last day they told me someone had stolen their '48 Bowman George Mikan rookie card right out from under them.

Seems like there's always sticky fingers on the last day. Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Icon_evil
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

I know the Mikan of which you speak and the dealer who set up for his first show. The Mikan was a PSA 2.5. Please keep your eyes open for this stolen card.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Well despite my maid's best attempts to foil me when she tossed out my business cards and notes at my hotel in Baltimore, thanks to some help I've managed to track down most of the tougher cards I was seriously considering at the National. Phew. Believe me when I say I did not leave a tip.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Reports from the 2010 National - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewish-collector Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:14 pm

I grew up in the Baltimore area and used to attend shows in and around Baltimore in the 1980's and 1990's. None of the shows were really that successful. Baltimore had never been a great sports card show city. This was, of course, before the inner harbor area was transformed to the downtown that it is today.

When I found out the National was coming to Baltimore this summer, I was delighted, but was very skeptical that it would be a success. I thought transportation issues, parking, etc,... was going to be problematic. I didn't think attendance would be that good. I am very happy to say that I was absolutely wrong. This National in Baltimore was a huge success. Period.

The Baltimore Convention Center turned out to be a wonderful venue. There was actually additional space (another room in fact), to the left of the main entrance, for more booths. As mentioned earlier, the venue is very close to the Orioles ballpark as well as the inner harbor shops & restaurants. There is public transportation readily available and parking near the convention center, while a little expensive, is readily available. There are also enough activities for mom & the kids to do while dad is at the show.

Some dealers (vintage thru shiny stuff) that I spoke to said their sales were "decent". Some said "good' and a few others said "great".

I had a fantastic time !!! This was one of, if not the most enjoyable Nationals that I have ever attended. I'm glad that I was there Wed. thru Sat. It was really nice meeting/seeing some Full Count members as well as meeting some other longtime hobby collectors at the show and at the dinners after the show.

Alan

P.S.

That Irish guy, Brian, who next to me at the Sat night dinner, is not on this forum nor Net54 and was either a dealer friend or helper to the Memory Lane booth. I am unclear exactly. confused

Jewish-collector
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeRain Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:38 am

i've read dmitri is a nice dude, and his younger brother delmon could be turning a corner and maturing. does tom candiotti still collect?

WE NEED MORE NAT'L REPORTS...AND PICS!!!!

(does bobby still have young girls at his vcp booth? Smile )

LeeRain
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2