Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reports from the 2010 National

+15
the-illini
bowlingshoeguy
t206head
rholmes
terjung
Square_Frame_Ramly
cccc
jbonie
zouraspm
Jewish-collector
Tennisguy
sabrjay
Bosox Blair
crazylocomerk
fisherboy7
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reports from the 2010 National Empty Reports from the 2010 National

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:21 pm

For the schmucks like me who are stuck at home during the national - here's a thread for attendees to report back about how the show is going.

What pickups/near pickups did you make?

What great cards did you see?

How are the prices and how is the quality of the material compared to previous nationals?

What are your impressions of the show overall?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Reports from the 2010 National Empty Re: Reports from the 2010 National

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 pm

I too am one of those schmucks......

Hope everyone is having fun!

Any T216's at the show????????
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Room for one more schmuck here? Reports from the 2010 National Icon_biggrin

Very interested to hear the reports... Reports from the 2010 National 347229
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Sitting at Jay's waiting to fly out tomorrow morning.

I did make a nice purchase on ebay yesterday picking up a Tinker Cycle 460 for much less than I expected.

Not sure if I will be able to make an update but should be there around 2pm tomorrow.

Lee (I guess I am on Jay's account)
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Reports from the 2010 National Empty Full Report

Post by Tennisguy Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 am

Hello,

I will be attending all day tomorrow. It is my first National, and I am very excited! I will post with a report when I return.

Ryan

Tennisguy
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Lee's not too bright. For some reason he thought he would be automatically logged in on his account on my computer. Must explain why he collects t202s, which no one cares about Reports from the 2010 National 601991
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewish-collector Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:54 am

Report from the National:

The short version is that I am really pleasantly suprised about this National. I have been at the show from the start. The attendance thus far have been really good, much better than I expected. I get the impression that dealers are doing decent, if not great sales. It wouldn't surprise me if the National committee chose Baltimore for 2014. I'm personally having a fantastic time !!! Reports from the 2010 National Icon_biggrin

Alan

Jewish-collector
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by zouraspm Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:51 am

It was neat seeing 3 Wagners at the National today (my first)--the shellacked one didn't look that bad in person. Dimitri Young was very congenial at a display of his PSA 10s of rookie cards when you first walked in. While lots of dealers prices on stuff seemed out of touch with reality, it was great seeing them on display. Like Preece's at SGC--who had 2 old mill joe jackson's and a run of kalamazoo bats portraits. There were 2 e107 matty on display--the card's image leaves something to be desired imo. It was nice seeing the cornacopia of OJs at Richard Masson's table, who barely let me walk away without buying their old judge book Smile. It was nice meeting Jay Miller and David Levin of the oregon find. There were a lot of cards that vied for my attention, but in the end I decided on a card bagger77 had (just posted in Aug pick-ups). It's difficult to thoroughly make the rounds in one day, but that's all I had and it was an immensely enjoyable yet exhausting experience.

Last edited by zouraspm on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
zouraspm
zouraspm
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:01 am

Yeah, I read about Young and his rookie card collection a while ago... it must have been neat to see it (and him) in person. It's neat that someone who can actually swing a bat collects cards. It would be interesting to come up with a list of MLB players who collect... if I remember correctly, maybe Tom Candiotti? Maybe I'm just making that up. Congrats on the OJ pickup, very nice. Hope you had a great time.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:18 am

Curt Schilling has a pretty nice Gehrig collection and I know David Wells collects memorabilia too.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:34 am

i've read dmitri is a nice dude, and his younger brother delmon could be turning a corner and maturing. does tom candiotti still collect?

WE NEED MORE NAT'L REPORTS...AND PICS!!!!

(does bobby still have young girls at his vcp booth? Smile )

useless without pics
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by zouraspm Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 am

Oh, can describe the National experience as particularly Ruthian, or Ruthesque, with cool displays in front where PSA was camped out full of more graded Bambino cards than you could shake a stick at--that I figured later was a nod to his birthplace. Lots of dealers with Ruth material.

Bill Latschzo (sp?) had huge signs announcing the sale of broken up t205 and t206 sets. First time I met that dealer. I don't think the movement of his product was very swift. Tik&Tik priced his AUT west coast color hess & company cards (5 or 6 or them!) at a stunning $4k a pop, that I interpreted as my cue to move on--would like to own one one of these days.

The ebay dealer I bought my e90-1 plank from (years ago) advertised the cards he was selling at the time as being "from the 'gus zernial collection".

Sorry no pics Sad
zouraspm
zouraspm
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:19 am

Ha,Ha...I think you are talking about bill Latzko. Do me a favor and make sure he has FC business cards on his table. Reports from the 2010 National Icon_razz He tells me he does but i want a 3rd impartial party to make sure.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Bill has some nice Ganong Indian cards including Geronimo. You should go over there and buy that card and the George C Miller Mel Ott Card. Or maybe you'd like the Honest Long Cut Statue of Liberty rookie card *end shameless plug for my cards he has* Reports from the 2010 National 47710
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Square_Frame_Ramly wrote:Ha,Ha...I think you are talking about bill Latzko. Do me a favor and make sure he has FC business cards on his table. Reports from the 2010 National Icon_razz He tells me he does but i want a 3rd impartial party to make sure.

I heard a rumor about those FC cards circulating Reports from the 2010 National Icon_surprised anyone come across one at the show yet?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:54 am

There were F.C. business cards on Bill's table. I can personally verify that.

Great show with more pre-war vintage than I expected. I was very pleased at the material. Prices varied depending on the dealer and the cards. I had a blast at the show and really enjoyed hanging out with many folks.

Last edited by terjung on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:56 am

Hey Brian, was there any E107 action at the national aside from the two Mathewsons?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:59 am

fisherboy7 wrote:Hey Brian, was there any E107 action at the national aside from the two Mathewsons?

Masson had a couple of HOFers on his table, the eBay Plank was there, and 5 or 6 commons were on tables and a couple of dealers had an E107 or two that weren't on display... ungraded common, for one.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Hey guys...on the train to NYC from Baltimore now & on my iPhone so I'm not going to write too much. Spent most of the day at the Nat yesterday and it was, as my first about what I expected. Lots of cards...almost overwhelming so many in one place, and the hall seemed to have a good crowd but comfortably so. About E107's...Brian- was R. Masson sharing a booth with Leon and Scott B.? I saw a Plank there, but also a Delahanty, type 2 I believe. Was talking to Leon about it and assumed it was SB's but could have assumed wrong. Great to see anyhow. Also great to see my first T206 Wagner in person...& the strip with Wags!
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:35 am

rholmes wrote:Hey guys...on the train to NYC from Baltimore now & on my iPhone so I'm not going to write too much. Spent most of the day at the Nat yesterday and it was, as my first about what I expected. Lots of cards...almost overwhelming so many in one place, and the hall seemed to have a good crowd but comfortably so. About E107's...Brian- was R. Masson sharing a booth with Leon and Scott B.? I saw a Plank there, but also a Delahanty, type 2 I believe. Was talking to Leon about it and assumed it was SB's but could have assumed wrong. Great to see anyhow. Also great to see my first T206 Wagner in person...& the strip with Wags!

Hopefully, you found Joe ok for your pickup. Sorry that we couldn't meet in person. You are correct about the E107 Plank at Richard's table (an SGC 30). That is Richard's (not SB's) and actually was the second E107 Plank at the show. The other was the one frequently seen on eBay - an SGC 10. He also had a Type 2 Delahanty as you mentioned.

I got a chance to hold the E107 Matty that was auctioned by Heritage on Thursday night. It went for $100k + 19.5% vig or $119,500. Absolutely stunning card! I don't know who landed that one, but they got a really, really nice card. Some day I hope to add one to my collection. Reports from the 2010 National 633177
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:39 am

I just got back it was cool but not what I thought it was going to be, I saw that new wagner that the nuns found and pas had one graded 2. one seller had a plank. I went looking for some dockmans picked up 3 off grade hof but that was about it maybe I went in with the wrong attitude and not alot of cash sorry to say still cant beat ebay prices...... later BOB
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:45 am

It may not be a great place to buy cards, but it's definitely a great place to see cards, I would love to see all that stuff you guys talk about... that E107 Matty was pretty diesel and I've never seen a t206 wagner or plank either. Plus it would be amazing to see the whole scene. Congrats to those who went and thanks for checking in!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 am

Well here we go.

I got into Baltimore on Thursday anddidn't have a chance to get to the show until 4pm so I didn't have time to look much at the cards but was able to meet up with a few people:

Tim Newcomb
Jim Rogers (jrog007) (he was with his son and reverted back to his childhood Reports from the 2010 National 236977 and went crazy opening up packs)

Mike Pike
Jim Loeweke (shoelessjim)
Todd Schultz (nolemmings)
Jim Rivera
Jantz Morrey (first guy I met right away)
Mark McRae
Ted Zan
Lyman hardeman (old Cardboard)
I think that was all sorry if I left someone out.

Went to dinner with Todd Schultz and then the Orioles game on a late entry ticket (great fun and a few beer).

Friday I got a chance to spend the whole day at the show. I was on a mission to find Cycle 460s and T202 Black 30 backs. I went through over half of the show with zero success. I met John Stephanski (grew up 30 miles from my home town and use to come into the card store I ran) and Mike healer andwe went to lunch. I was getting to the point that I might be leaving the show without purchasing anything, nothing at this point said buy me.

After having lunch I went to check out the rest of the show and within 15 minutes I found a table with T202s, looked through the cards and then he told me he had other under the table and Shazam, there were 2 black factory 30s Reports from the 2010 National 27512 . Need less to say I bought plus a reasonably price matty/Devlin(Rustler). So know I am happy a purchase. After more wandering I finally found a Cycle 460 I needed but the price was really steep and the dealer wasn't moving much, so I had to leave it behind. Reports from the 2010 National Icon_cry

Met the following collectors on Thursday:

ed hans
Gary Nov?
Peter Fishman (delehanty) wingman number 2 for me and Todd on Friday
Bret Hardeman
Pete calderon (of Heritage fame)
Dan McKee
Jeff (hrbaker)
Tom Bobblitt
Jim Blumenthal
Jay Miller
Richard Masson
Scott Brockleman
Zach Rice (he's old enough to drink alcohol now) Reports from the 2010 National 324797 .
Bill Cornell
Robert Silverman

Once again sorry if I left anyone out.

The night consisted of Todd S., Peter F. and myself going to the O's game. todd seemed to think that I picked bad seats that were right under the scoreboard and the PA speaker, but a few beers, Boog's BBQ, the Whitey's getting beat and some talk of baseball was a great night at the game. Then it was off to the Hilton bar for some cocktails and brush with other collectors and White Sox players. Overall a great day.

Saturday I ended up going back bound and determined to find a way to get the Cycle 460 I need at a price I was comfortable with. My initial attempt was to no avail but while I was contemplating the card I noticed some T202 i had not seen the day before on his table. In the pile was a beautiful T202 Speaker/Wood at a reasonable price. So know I am comfortable to pay the price for the T206 Cycle as long as I buy the Speaker/Wood, but problem of money now comes into play. So I hit the floor trying to sell some cards I brought along. After 2 hours I have no luck. I go back and work out deal to buy one and put a down payment on the other. After doing this I go to the guy on the table right behind him and proceed to sell him most of the cards I had brought along to trade or sell, kind of felt like I wasted 2 hours walking almost the whole show trying to sell the cards only to have the guy 20 feet away willing to pay for them. So I was able to go back and pay for the other card and have money to bring home. Reports from the 2010 National 517562

I was able to meet the owner of the Yellowjackets, Keith (kjjavic) team while talking to a fellow collector, Val. Great guy with some cool memorabilia.

At the dinner we were joined by jantz Morrey, Randy (a friend of Jantz's that was from Lefty Grove's hometown), Allan (Jewish Collector), rich Klein (Sabr Geek), Brian, (irish man that did not know his his food Reports from the 2010 National 445187 ), Chris Levy (Big Guy), Todd Schultz (nolemmings), Dave (friend of Rich's set up at show) and myself. A good night of food and vintage banter.

It was amazing Todd and Myself got back to the hotel, a 5 minute walk took about 25 minutes and out a back door and lots of dead ends but we did make it.

Overall a great weekend, meeting people and some nice pickups. Definitely recommended if you ever had second thoughts.

Here's to all the fellow collectors I met especially Todd Schultz and Peter Fishman for being wingmen. Reports from the 2010 National 182900

Lee

Last edited by bowlingshoeguy on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Reports from the 2010 National Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Reports from the 2010 National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:25 am

Small note to follow up Lee's commentary. I hate to break it to you Lee, but I am not Irish and was back in Florida by Saturday night, so it must have been a different Brian that you had dinner with on Saturday. I was hoping to meet up with you folks, but didn't get the opportunity. Too many cards and too many people! Perhaps next year in Chicago.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 am

Nice write-up, Lee. Still sorry I wasn't able to go the dinner Saturday night, but had a great time at O's vs. White Sox. Camden Yards was something to see...glad I finally made it.

Brian - I did get the card. All went well, easy to find, and I ended up getting another card from Joe so the choice was perfect.
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next