Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question

+3
jbonie
nolemmings
BINatVCP
7 posters

Go down

Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Empty Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question

Post by BINatVCP Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:13 am

Hi all,

Recently decided to start selling vintage baseball cards to support my addiction to buying vintage baseball cards. Ran across this forum, but notice that it's a very vintage forum. Right now, most of what I've got to sell is from the 50s and 60s, which seems about 20-30 years more recent than most of the rest that I see on this board, particularly the BST section. Question is: should I post the material for sale or wait until I've got some older stuff?

As far as me personally, I am a recent graduate of a Washington DC area law school, am taking the Illinois bar exam on Tuesday and Wednesday, and (pending favorable results) will report for duty in Alabama as a member of the Air Force JAG Corps in January. More importantly, I've been collecting baseball cards since my great-grandfather gave me a few hundred as a young kid. I amassed about 30,000 now-worthless cards from the 80s and 90s (which I nevertheless love), but in the past couple years have gotten much more interested in graded vintage cards.

Am sure I will enjoy the boards.

Best,

Brad

BINatVCP
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Empty Hello Brad

Post by nolemmings Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 am

Welcome aboard, and thank you for serving our country. Please let us know if the women in your JAG group are as gorgeous as Katherine Bell was on the TV show. On second thought don't--it would just remind me of yet another career choice I didn't make.
Best of luck on the bar exam, that will be lots of fun for sure. Only two days of exam now? It was two and a half when I took it in AZ, and we only had 15 laws to memorize way back then Smile

Many here own post-war cards as well as the old stuff--so there would be some interest if you were to post on this forum. I'm afraid the market for 50s-60s material has not been all that strong of late, though, wherever you go, with the possible exception of the high-grade stuff. Others would have suggestions on where else you could sell this "newer" material, although ebay might not be a bad option.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Empty Re: Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question

Post by jbonie Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:19 am

Brad,

Welcome to the boards. If you think 50s-60's is addictive, wait until you start buying pre-war stuff. Shocked I share your pain on the worthless 80's-90's stuff, as I was a part of that generation. Mostly I got sealed sets for Christmas and birthdays that I stored away thinking they'd be super-valuable one day. Whoops. But hey, who needs toys? I don't know much about the JAG Air Force, but my buddy does work for them in MA. He is out of the military, though, and in the civilian sector. This is a pretty awesome board, so enjoy!

Last edited by jbonie on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : okay, now I have to remember not to write my name at the bottom of my posts)
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Empty Re: Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question

Post by cccc Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 am

two of my favorite words sum up this board nicely...awesome and legendary
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:39 am

welcome to the board. The board is dedicated to pre-ww2 cards but you are more than welcome to discuss post war cards, etc in the Bullpen area and you can post those types of cards in the Everything Else section of the BST.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BINatVCP Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome, all. Posted a few for sale in the Everything Else section, just in case anyone gets the post-war bug today. Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Icon_biggrin

jbonie wrote:Brad,

Welcome to the boards. If you think 50s-60's is addictive, wait until you start buying pre-war stuff. Shocked

As far as my personal collection, my biggest project right now is a NM/NM-MT graded 1965 complete set. Not too far along. Secondary is a 1953 Bowman Color set, which is even less far along, but I do have the Reese, which is probably the centerpiece of my collection. My only other project is a pre-war 1921 Exhibits set. That set is BEAUTIFUL, so I know what you mean about being addictive. Problem is that the cards just don't come up at reasonable prices too often. A couple months ago someone did a fairly significant set-break of PSA 3, 4, and 5 cards in the set, and I was able to pick up five of them to get a start.

Have not gotten into the T, E, and N cards yet. The OCD side of me is scared, because there's just so many of them! If I ever do get into them, I'll probably focus on White Sox players from the era, which would seem like an appropriate way to limit myself. Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Icon_lol

BINatVCP
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:57 pm

The nice thing, though, is that it doesn't have to be crazy expensive, if you collect beaters. You could knock out a great T206 White Sox collection with Walsh as the centerpiece quite affordably if you don't mind low grade.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum! I agree with Jamie....prewar cards are where it's at, and they don't even have to be beaters. You can pick up decent VGish cards from the more common T and E sets (T206, T205, E90-1, E92, E93, etc) for very affordable prices ($30-50ish). HOFers will cost you more....and things do get a little out of hand once you get into high grade material.

But for now, you could pick up the odd White Sox T/E card without breaking the bank, and slowly build up a type collection. And you're right, there's a ton of material out there in the prewar realm; it can be overwhelming. I think one of the keys is to take it slow....get more familiar with what's out there, pick up a few cards here and there when you spot a bargain, and eventually you'll be a full fledged prewar enthusiast/addict like the rest of us!

And in the meantime, there's nothing wrong with using our bullpen to talk 50's/60's cards and our BST ("Everything Else" category) to sell them.
Glad to have you aboard, I think you'll like it here Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question 347229
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:15 am

Welcome to the forum Brad! Glad to have you on board. It truly is a great forum!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Hello! New to the Boards, Plus a Question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down