Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back

+5
TheRiddler
cccc
Square_Frame_Ramly
fisherboy7
sabrjay
9 posters

Go down

Does this card deserve to be in the Baseball Card HOF

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Vote_lcap84%BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Vote_rcap 84% 
[ 16 ]
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Vote_lcap16%BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 19

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Empty BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back

Post by sabrjay Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:37 pm

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back 10992a_lg
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Empty Re: BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Looks like this is the only one that's gonna get inducted.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Empty Re: BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:33 pm

how can it not...desirable card and rarely comes up for sale. I think T206 Honus comes up more than the cobb.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:54 pm

i like the selectivity...the other cards were meh to me. maybe our screening process need to improve Smile. the just so young would be a no brainer imo
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:05 pm

It doesn't hurt to have a lot of choices. Only the cards that deserve in to get will get in. A few cards will get put up for a vote again at some point, like the n162 Kelly.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 am

I'd like to hear why the dissenting opinion resulted in a "no" vote.

Is the card quality too low? Is the main feature seen solely as a back variation on an otherwise common card? Is Cobb viewed unfavorably? Other?
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:00 am

I voted no. Great card, but I don't really think of it as the quintessential Cobb.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 am

It's the ULTIMATE Cobb in my opinion.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:32 pm

yawie99 wrote:I voted no. Great card, but I don't really think of it as the quintessential Cobb.

I agree wholeheartedly Steve, but for me, the card does not have to rise to the level of quintessence in more than one catagory. These include:
Card quality - think SGC 98, n172 Alcott
Card/Set Importance or Rarity - think G&B as the sole 19th cent. non-tobacco card set
Pose uniqueness or attractiveness - think Jay's Hengle dead man
Card design asthetics and implementation - think n43s

Because of these criteria, I found the Cobb/Cobb meeting my requirements for "card/set importance or rarity" better than any of the other candidate cards met the criteria which they were striving to achieve.

Of course, all of this is only my opinion. It would be very helpful if others would reveal their criteria so that we can collectively sort out what is right for each of us. And then keep it a secret (or not) once we each have considered all factors.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:37 pm

To me, the ultimate Cobb card is the 1913 Boston Garter.

This is the best scan I could find:

BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Mus40
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm

That's just it: there's so many ways to approach the question, "What makes a great card?" Just as there are so many ways to think about the actual Hall of Fame. I prefer the guys who tower over their contemporaries - even if it is just for a stretch of several seasons - over those that are pretty good for a really long time.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:15 pm

There is something to be said for prolonged steadiness. If it were that easy to do, everyone would be hanging around for 20+ years. For long time vet, he has prove that his large salary is worth keeping over a young kid who gets paid less.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't necessarily disagree, it's just my personal preference. In the end, it's a good thing that the Hall recognizes both the Sandy Koufaxes and the Don Suttons of the baseball world.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Off Topic
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:53 pm

yea...WTF...we're talking bb card hof right? Can't there be 2 ty cobbs in there...I'm guessing someday there will be!

This Cobb/Cobb...to me...is like cy young...or babe ruth...or honus wagner...if we're comparing hof's...it's a no brainer! BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back 64370
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 pm

There certainly can be more than one card depicting the same player. Personally, just from eye appeal point of view, the t206 Cobbs do nothing for me. If the name on the card wasn't Cobb, most people wouldn't even give the cards a second thought.

Even though I think the picture of Cobb is lackluster, this card has a lot going for it and I voted for it for these reasons. Rarity, legendary status in the hobby, iconic player. Makes for the perfect storm for a BBC HOF card.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:15 am

big thing with this card for me is the mystery surrounding the ty cobb brand back...only cobb is depicted, very few examples in existence (some glossy some not adding to the mystery), i like the red back...ty cobb card on a ty cobb brand, what's not to love? the card brings alot of questions, excitement, and passion out of the hobby...imo it's a burn out rather than fade away card Smile

p.s. where i can view these cards in the hof's.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:28 am

TheRiddler wrote:
yawie99 wrote:I voted no. Great card, but I don't really think of it as the quintessential Cobb.

I agree wholeheartedly Steve, but for me, the card does not have to rise to the level of quintessence in more than one catagory. These include:
Card quality - think SGC 98, n172 Alcott
Card/Set Importance or Rarity - think G&B as the sole 19th cent. non-tobacco card set
Pose uniqueness or attractiveness - think Jay's Hengle dead man
Card design asthetics and implementation - think n43s

Because of these criteria, I found the Cobb/Cobb meeting my requirements for "card/set importance or rarity" better than any of the other candidate cards met the criteria which they were striving to achieve.

Of course, all of this is only my opinion. It would be very helpful if others would reveal their criteria so that we can collectively sort out what is right for each of us. And then keep it a secret (or not) once we each have considered all factors.
Just so that I understand correctly... is it the actual single card that is being nominated... such that we are almost grading that card's condition too? Forgive me, but I don't see the point of that. That would be akin to complaining about Ruth's jersey being dirty or ripped and no discussing the greatness of the player as a whole. (not a perfect analogy, but you get the point)

Quite simply, I think we should presume that it is the card in general (ie. a Cobb / Cobb and not that particular Cobb / Cobb). Otherwise you could nominate one PSA 8 vs. a PSA 9 of the same card. Then you have ridiculous arguments like... Well, the 9 is strong enough to get in, but the 8 is not...
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100BBC HOF vote Ty Cobb with Cobb back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:41 pm

I guess that since it was my proposal, I can share my viewpoint. And that is that in the case of the card quality criteria only, a single card would be proposed for a vote. Although each of the other catagories are considered by me to be similarly subjective, and therefore subject to opposing opinions. It was my intention that the rarity, uniqueness and design criteria refer to any example of the card.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:37 pm

We are not taking card condition into consideration. Imagine you are looking at an 8 or 9.

Quan, here is the link to BBC HOF
Baseball Card HOF
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:02 pm

one last bump for votes on these cards and then I'll close them on the weekend
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down