Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake.

+7
3-2-count
Bicem
cccc
bowlingshoeguy
TheBig6
ChiefBenderForever
Square_Frame_Ramly
11 posters

Go down

"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Empty "Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake.

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:06 pm

A friend picked this up last week...

"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb

Edited: Renamed the title.

Last edited by Square_Frame_Ramly on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Empty Re: "Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake.

Post by ChiefBenderForever Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:51 pm

If the seller has never sold a vintage card how would he know what a real card looks and feels like ? It looks real but how can it be ? I just don't see how you can get a 5 figure card for a steal like that , and if really real wouldn't more people have took a chance ? Everyone saw it so I guess I just find it to good to be true. Also since it was listed as a reprint I don't think he can get a refund even if disputed with his CC they might not side with him since no fraud took place. Also I think if fake the buyer doesn't have a right to a refund since they gambled on it. Finally, how stupid could someone be to sell a card like this as a reprint if real ? Are there really people this stupid in the world to give away a card like this ? I guess whoever bought the card will find out soon enough but my guess is they just threw out a nice car payment.

ChiefBenderForever
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

When a Seller plays dumb and mentions it might be a reprint. Not a good sign at all, to put it lightly.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:57 pm

My friend put in under a microscope and it's the same pattern as another T206 Cobb...I told him it may be re-backed.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Has there been reprints of the Ty Cobb back?

Definately a leap of faith.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiefBenderForever Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Could be rebacked from back in the day by a collector who wanted a King Cobb but couldn't find one so made his own for only a couple dollars. The seller lives in Jersey so any collector in the area could've gone and saw it in person if they thought it was real and gave the kid a couple grand or more. Not to mention SGC is a few minutes away so if someone thought was real could've found out real quick. Just doesn't add up at all, especially when the last one went for around 135k. Would be the steal of the century if real Twisted Evil

ChiefBenderForever
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:31 am

most likely a home-made reprint. at first i thought a real front with a fake back, but who would destroy a real cobb? anyways he knows of TPG (he's bought a bgs card in his feedback) and doesn't utilizes it here.

first rule of ebay buying...when seller says something is a reprint, believe him!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:04 am

I have not seen the card in person, but he would send card to me and I would be willing to drive to SGC. I am thinking...he may have a real card per our conversation over the phone.

We will see...

Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:45 am

no chance it's real. way too many red flags as already stated. no one is that dumb.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:09 am

Bicem wrote:no chance it's real. way too many red flags as already stated. no one is that dumb.

DITTO.....
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:49 am

Seller is from NJ and SGC is right there. If this was real there is no way anyone would not get this graded and leave that kind of coin on the table. No way.

The scans look good but with the laser printers today that is an easy copy.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:44 am

Familiar with grading, unfamiliar with vintage, but knows enough to call it a T206? As stated elsewhere, the small amount of research needed to come up with a T206 designation would also reveal that a Cobb / Cobb is a $100k card. Nobody in their right mind is going to just throw that on eBay without authentication. Pure scam job, imo. I hope your friend can get his money back.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:26 am

My favorite part of the description is when the seller at first says, "I have never sold any vintage baseball cards," but then later says, "if it is a reprint, it is was [sic] one of the best reprints I have ever come across." Oh, really? You've come across a lot of reprints despite not being a seller of vintage cards? Okay.

If one is willing to look past the ungraded status, the fuzzy pictures, and the extremely low feedback status, then the above statement should have sent any potential buyer screaming into the night. If this thing is real, I will drop my beloved Redskins and start rooting for the Ravens (who still belong in Cleveland and who, for that reason, I loathe with every bone in my body).

A couple of other asides: Has anyone on this board seen a T206 with this kind of fairly perfect middle fold? Cuz, seriously, what would've been the point of folding a T206 in the middle? And why doesn't the fold show on the front, when it's quite severe on the back? Lastly (and I admit I could be way off on this last point, but it seems strange to me), has anyone else on this board seen this pattern of lighter paper in the aging spots combined with the browning around the fold?

To me, this thing stinks to high hell. I'd run from it like it had the plague. I feel bad for the buyer. That $725 could've fetched him/her a nice flat screen or, better yet, a graded and reliably real HOF'er in a nice grade from the same set. A HOF'er like, say, Ty Cobb.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:40 am

mark--i hear wonka still needs a cobb/cobb Smile

seriously i hope you guys will be able to sort it out. anything is possible but this one seems like a really long shot.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:02 am

I hear ya guys..it's not my $700 bucks. Hope he can get his money back.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:11 pm

It is a pretty good fake though which is kinda scary.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:16 pm

If it seems to be too good to be true, right?
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:12 pm

I found the back that this card was copied from. I have seen it first hand and it currently resides in a very private collection in an SGC slab. Suffice it to say that I can confirm that the one above is not authentic.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100"Ty Cobb"---Ty Cobb, Real or fake. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 pm

My friend will find out in next few days if it's legit. My opinion, 99.9% sure it's a Rebacked Cobb.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 am

100% convinced here.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down