Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity?

5 posters

Go down

Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Empty Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity?

Post by browncow75 Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Looking at Ebay recently, Ive noticed a shortage of these P42 backs in relation to other rare backs some consider to be tougher to aquire (2 Red Hindu's) than P42's. Do you think collectors are hoarding these more often than before, or are people just less likely to sell them due to the economy (not wanting to lose money). As a subquestion, what would you currently consider the top 10 toughest backs to aquire, in low to mid grade?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Empty Re: Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity?

Post by ullmandds Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:27 am

I think people are hoarding them...in addition to there being lots of rare back T206 collectors these days. While they are tough...I don't think factory rarities are terribly sexy...and many people don't care about them.

I think the top 10 tough backs to find in no particular order are: Drum, Broadleaf 460, Lennox, Red Hindu, Uzit, Brown Old Mill, Brown Lenox, Broad LEaf, Brown Hindu, carolina brights, toss up sov 460/cycle 460...just my opinion.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:54 am

I remember in the 80s when I was chasing factory numbers, dealers and collectors thought I was crazy and told me they never be worth anything because no one cared. Guess that changed, lol. All anyone cared about back then was factory and occasionally some would care about the series.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:06 am

I am slowly but surely trying to get my backs collection going. I have just been noticing lately that certain ones are coming up for sale in bunches, and then others you dont see but one or two examples for a year or so (low grade Southen League Hindu's come to mind). I am definitely looking for the lower grade examples, and even then, you just dont find some, that shouldnt be that hard to find!
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 am

Part of why you see some backs for sale more often is the fact that the people holding on to them feel that the market has topped out and it is a good time to sell. I think the Pied 42 still is a back up in the air. As Pete said some people give it no respect, but as we saw in the Goodwin auction, it only takes to get prices way out of line.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 am

Do you believe that t206museum.com back multipliers are accurate for the current market? I dont have a VCP account anymore, but do they list recorded sales info with back scarcity included, or are they not notated as such?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:08 pm

browncow75 wrote:Do you believe that t206museum.com back multipliers are accurate for the current market? I dont have a VCP account anymore, but do they list recorded sales info with back scarcity included, or are they not notated as such?

I wouldn't take anything from t206museum, and the multiplier isn't up to date. It's just one crooks opinion.

As far as VCP goes, they do list sales by back now. Only issue here is that they just started doing that over the last year or so and they don't have records of many of the older sales (on many). I think they've always recorded sales of the really tough backs (UZIT, DRUM, etc.)
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:13 pm

I have seen 2 Hal Chase Fact. 42's on Ebay that were both PSA 4, and the asking prices were both around $1k. Would you say that is about right for a star/minor star in that grade or is that out of line price wise?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:37 pm

that price seems about 2x what I'd consider within the realm of normal for that card.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:44 pm

ullmandds wrote:that price seems about 2x what I'd consider within the realm of normal for that card.

And I too will agree with Pete's assessment. Way beyond what those cards should go for, and that's probably why they were never sold from that seller's ebay store.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:04 pm

I think a VG/Ex Pied 42 will run you $300 to $400.

As Eric mentioned, bewary of T206Museum, the guy is a crook if you are not aware.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:31 am

Thanks guys! I thought that seemed a little too high. Considering you can get low grade Red Hindu's for under $500 (Goodwins' last auction had 2), I suppose anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay though. Its hard to keep track of the market, when you look in 3 different places, and find 3 different prices! Is there really that big of fluctuation in the backs market right now?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Some T206 backs are really hot right now.

Those currently on the up and up: Drum, Uzit, Brown Hindu, Lenox.

Those currently on their way down: Red Hindu, BL460.

Seems like backs go through cycles. One year a certain back will be extremely hot, the next year it won't be. Then it will be again. The trick is to find out which ones are loosing steam, and work on those, because eventually they will be hot again. I think it's a great time to buy BL460's......but not so good to sell them Piedmont Factory 42 Scarcity? 64370
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum