Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T212 (Stamped Back) Cards

+3
three25hits
caramelcard
TheBig6
7 posters

Go down

T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Empty T212 (Stamped Back) Cards

Post by TheBig6 Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Does anybody have a theory or know why so many T212's (Especially T212-2's) have Purple Stamps on the back.
Was this stamp applied at the Factory, Retailer, or Collector?
I have noticed they are so common that SGC doesn't even down grade for this stamp and to my knowledge the only qualifier they add to their flips.
Just trying to understand this mystery.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Empty Re: T212 (Stamped Back) Cards

Post by caramelcard Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Jerry,

I think they were applied at the factory by the person who handled that particular card. I always assumed it was for quality control; to make sure that the cards didn't leave the factory without a back, or severely miscut, etc. But, that doesn't explain only some of them are stamped.

Many non-sports sets have a factory stamp as well, but with even more frequency than the obaks.

I think only 10% of my Obaks have the stamps, but yes they are very common and sometimes so faint that you don't even notice them.

Rob

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by three25hits Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:34 pm

SGC has handled these cards in a variety of ways over the years. At one time, the card's technical grade was downgraded due to ink (treated like any other card with writing on it). Also, sometimes SGC would grade the card as if the factory mark wasn't there at all. I have an SGC 84 Obak with a factory mark on the back. Finally, SGC would give the card the appropriate technical grade with a "stamped back" (or something to that effect) qualifier on the flip. I have some D310s with a similar qualifier from SGC.

three25hits
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 pm

It this the stamp?

T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Sc000811
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 pm

Yes, I believe that one is consistant with the stamped backs I have seen
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:31 pm

Mark Macrae might know, but is it possible that there was a redemption promo with cards and they stamped them when you turned them so that you could keep the cards?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oaks1912 Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:02 am

There has never been any solid paper trail as to what those marks are. The general consensus is that they were done prior to the cards being inserted into the Obak packs. Whether it was at the printer (Schmidt Lithography, which is unlikely) or at the packaging stage (likely). I've bought well over ten thousand Obaks over the years from 'outside the hobby' sources, not counting the cards from inside the hobby (which is way more). From my experience, the percentage would be closer to 30% have those marks. The color can range from red to almost black. The cards shouldn't be 'downgraded' for this mark. It's different if a period collector or business put their rubber stamp mark on the back, but those two digits marks are one of the characteristics of a T-212........Mark Very Happy

oaks1912
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100T212 (Stamped Back) Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Hello Mark, thanks for that information.
Amigo, you were always a good digger.
Jay brought up an interesting point.
There are a few other sets with hand stamps, Contentnea being one of them.
Many tobacco brands had redemption promos, where one could turn in X amount of cards, or coupons for a prize.
I own an old cylinder type cigarette lighter with a Contentnea logo on it.
I would love to find anything related to the promo of that lighter.

BTW, any Mono's lately? Smile

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down