Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New set(s) you're thinking about starting?

+3
ItsOnlyGil
Square_Frame_Ramly
fisherboy7
7 posters

Go down

New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Empty New set(s) you're thinking about starting?

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Personally I'm not much of a set collector. I've tried a few times and I'm getting pretty close on one (e96) but I have never actually completed a prewar set. Call me crazy but now I'm mulling over giving D359 a go. I have a few already (Plank, Baker) and have a few trades on the horizon that could bring me up to 6 or 7 cards. I love the set so why not?

How about everyone else? What's that set you've wanted to start for a while but haven't gotten around to it for whatever reason?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Empty Well...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 pm

As i stated in the thread below, i am after the M116 Blue Backgrounds because i have seen prices falling and believe it is a good time to start getting in. I was able to pick up 16 of the 24 in a span of 2 weeks. I have always loved the M116 set and the Blue backgrounds are just beautiful. I also love the portrait cards so it is all i want in one package!!!!

The remaining 8 i need will be tough but it keeps me going after something. mallet

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Empty Re: New set(s) you're thinking about starting?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:25 pm

There's a set I've been planning on starting for some time now. It is part of the 1935 Goudeys. The backs form a "puzzle" which when assembled form a picture of a player or team. Two of the players offered include Foxx and Klein. These are the two which I want to represent.

Both played for Philadelphia, and won the triple crown in the same year (1933 NL & AL). I believe that each puzzle consists of 8 pieces (cards) which would fit nicely into a 8-pocket binder page.

Thats it. Triple Crown winners are infrequent. And to have two from the same city in the same year is collection worthy for my meager assembly. But so far, I've always had higher priorities. I did get one card tho (a Foxx).
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Empty Re: New set(s) you're thinking about starting?

Post by TheBig6 Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm

I have become intrigued by the e90-1 set, I love the colors and the looks of cards, but it's a 120 card set which is daunting and theres always that Jackson card looming on the horizon, which I don't ever see myself being able to afford. And I sure ain't trading my N173 King Kelly for a beat up Jackson Rookie, which is probally the only way I could get one.

Another set I like is the t202's which is another relatively large set (132 cards) I think. It's an underated set in my opinion with 2 players and a vintage action shot in the middle makes for nice bang for your buck. Theres alot of Cobbs and a few other pricey cards but it is one I think I could finish if I decide too.

Anyway, those are the 2 sets as of right now , but it's liable to change at any minute.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:03 am

I've never been a set collector but lately have toyed with starting the e102 set...having attempted to procure that e102 wags fielding a few weeks ago on ebay...and lost. I thought if I got the 2 toughest cards the rest wouldn't be so hard. As well, the e94 set as I love it but have only 3 commons...it'd be quite expensive!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Empty New set(s) you're thinking about starting?

Post by shammus Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:41 am

I guess what I do when starting new sets, or trying to start them, is come up with 4-5 that I'm interested in and then go out to try to find cards for all of them be it through Ebay, Buy/sell,trade pages or otherwise. The cards I'm able to find will be the set that I end up going after. So, I guess I sort of make that decision on what the market will allow me.

For instance, last week, I did this exercise and came up with a few ideas of sets to start. One was the w553 set and saw three on Ebay I liked but was outbid on all of them. the v117 set was also on my list. I saw three of those just tonight and won all three from Ebay. So I guess I'll be going after v117s now Smile

I started the w590 set recently too. I guess I'm becoming much more of a 1920s collector than I was before. Because of a few generous board members, I'm off to a good start on this issue with 35/41 players out of the way.

A couple sets that I've stalled on somewhat are the d311 set and the t210-3 orange border set. Both are sets I'd like to make progress on but both are somewhat limited by the availability of the cards.

shammus
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:36 am

I knew it was a mistake to let Brian win those three v117's tonite. Brian, aren't there enough American card issues for you to collect?

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Jerry - I think e90-1 is a great set to work on. Don't be intimidated by the Jackson - even if you never get one, having a near e90-1 set is a huge accomplishment. They are beautiful cards, relatively affordable, and you already have a nice start on them.

Brian - some interesting choices there. Our recent trade will give you a jumpstart a number of those pursuits. Please keep us up to speed on your progress. righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100New set(s) you're thinking about starting? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down