Thinking of Jumping into the Great T206 Fray, Seeking Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thinking of Jumping into the Great T206 Fray, Seeking Advice

Post by LucasRiley on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:13 am

Good to be back on again! Circumstances have kept me away for quite awhile, but my collecting is still alive and kicking, and I was hoping to get the input of some of you folks, as you are clearly authorities (or, at least, far greater authorities than I).

I've resisted the temptation on collecting T206's for quite some time, just because the set is so vast and so expensive. I'm getting pulled in as if by a tractor beam, however, slowly but surely. I can feel that I'm gonna give in. So before I do, I wanted to ask a few questions:

1) I do all of my collecting on ebay, and there are sellers I trust and sellers I don't. Basically, if your seller rating is below 99.8% and/or based on less than 1,000 feedbacks, I move on. Is this gonna be sufficient to protect me from scams? What is everyone's general impression of ebay as a market for tobaccos?

2) Should I even think of collecting T206's raw, or is that just asking for trouble (even from reliable sellers)?

3) SGC seems to be considered more reliable for the grading of tobaccos than PSA. Am I correct in that? Or are PSA tobaccos okay? My perception of PSA over the last several years is that there standards have started to deviate pretty wildly, particularly in relation to centering. However, I have a handful of 1934 World Wide Gum's in PSA, and I'm happy with them.

I appreciate any feedback. I don't currently have anything in my collection older than '34. I feel like an amateur about to turn pro!
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking of Jumping into the Great T206 Fray, Seeking Advice

Post by bowlingshoeguy on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 am

My first suggestion to you is to be focus on say collecting a team or some subset, once that is done move on to another. As far as your questions.

1) Is a sound way of handling ebay sellers. If you have any questions about a certain seller feel free to ask, someone here has more than likely dealt with them.

2) If you wish to collect raw make sure you are buying from reputable sellers. I personally have gotten more leary of raw T206s as time has gone by, but there are still good ones out there.

3) All though all the grading companies have there flaws I would strongly recommend SGC for vintage cards, if nothing else they are the best looking holder.

Hope this helps and happy ventures,

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
53 / 10053 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 am

Lee:

Thanks for the response! I'm with you: I think, unless I'm dealing with a particularly reputable seller, I'll lean toward graded cards. And, on an aesthetic level if nothing else, I have to agree on SGC's: They just simply look better. I think it's the black vs. the clear background. Black highlights the card; clear dwarfs it.

Thanks again.
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:44 am

I would go SGC. Also, I wouldn't fear 100-999 feedback sellers if their feedback is perfect or close to it. I would collect only the major leaguers. Once you are done with that you could move on. Or do Lee's idea of a subset if you have the patience. T206 is a major financial undertaking in any grade. Good luck!
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
5 / 1005 / 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top