Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s?

+2
sabrjay
fisherboy7
6 posters

Go down

Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Empty Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s?

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:03 am

Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Early%20Baseball%20Card

Source: http://www.fcassociates.com/ntearlybb.htm

Close on the heels of this significant discovery, Hank Thomas, Walter Johnson's grandson and a noteworthy baseball historian himself, has acquired what is certainly the earliest known card of a bat and ball game. Hank's acquisition was originally found in an attic in Maine many years ago and is new to the hobby. Does the card show boys playing one of the dreaded bat and ball games the Pittsfield folks wanted to ban? Exactly what the game featured was called we may never know, but we can say with certainty that the image on the card is a close cousin to the game that today is commonly called baseball. Recall the history lesson recited above and gaze at the card . . . what game do you think it shows? Compare it to a woodcut shown in a garden book from 1833 published in this country (see illustration). Does that game look familiar?

How old is the card? There are obviously no “game statistics” or “yearly totals” on the back of the card to answer that question with the same certainty that we can rely on when viewing a baseball card today. However, historians who have viewed this card have concluded that it was, in all likelihood, manufactured sometime within the first few decades of the 19 th century. I have personally reviewed bat and ball drawings and lithographs from the 18 th and 19 th century, and I believe that this card dates from around the 1830's, the same time period as the woodcut bat and ball scene in the garden book. This was also a time period in which children's educational game cards were popularized and produced as teaching aids in this country and in England. The bat and ball card was uncovered with several other illustrated children's educational cards. None of other cards contain sport related subjects (see illustration). What does it mean?

More can be read about the card at the above link. Obviously it's a generic card, and not quite baseball, but certainly a significant early example of a bat and ball game pictured on a card. What are your thoughts on this piece?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Empty Re: Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s?

Post by sabrjay Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:54 pm

The answer is......HAY Very Happy

I remember when this card was discovered. It was a big deal in the SABR crowd, but barely made a ripple in the card collecting hobby.

I was intially going to say that the earliest card was from the early 1700s, but it's not on a card, but an image in a book.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Empty Re: Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s?

Post by scott elkins Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:53 pm

I would give this one the thumbs up. I have also seen it before and always thought it to be a Baseball Card. In fact, it is MUCH MORE a Baseball Card than the "Cricket Ticket" Mastro auctioned from 1863 (of Harry Wright, if my memory serves me correctly).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:34 pm

righton
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Looks like a laCrosse stick and padded player
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Vognar Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 am

The "bat:" is one of those things with a pocket to catch the ball, I think.

Dried grass is called pot. Wet grass too.
Julie Vognar
Julie Vognar
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:06 pm

Julie Vognar wrote:The "bat:" is one of those things with a pocket to catch the ball, I think.

You mean a lacrosse stick? I agree, that's what it looks like to me too. Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Lacrosse_stick_rt

Julie Vognar wrote:Dried grass is called pot. Wet grass too.

Laughing Laughing bow
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 pm

I doubt that it is anything like a lacraosse stick. The reasoning being, why would you pitch a ball and then try to hit it with a stick a that has a basket on the end?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 am

sabrjay wrote:I doubt that it is anything like a lacraosse stick. The reasoning being, why would you pitch a ball and then try to hit it with a stick a that has a basket on the end?

Jay

That's a good point, Jay. But how do you explain the function of the basket-like contraption at the end of the stick? My wild guess is that the player isn't trying to hit the ball with it, but instead scoop it up and fling it to one of his teammates.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:42 am

It's a huge assumption to make that there is a basket on the end of it. You can't really tell that from the picture. The end just looks fat. If you were to grad a tree branch to hit a all with, you want to use the widest part of the branch to try and hit the ball with. Too bad there isn't more explanation as to what is going on in the scene.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 am

The more I look at it, the "stick" looks more like a lacrosse stick. I have to change my mind and agree with Dan on this one.

So many of us (myself included) would like to have ONE CARD we could simply call the first Baseball Card, that it leads some people to label Cricket Tickets or other cards with a scene on them familiar to Baseball as "The First Baseball Card".

I wish I would have kept all my reference materials I gave and threw away when I quit collecting in 2001, so I could go through them all for my next question (anyway, I will try to go through what I do have when I get time).

What is the earliest Baseball Card you have seen? I know I have seen some cards of teams dating a few years earlier than the 1869 Reds team card (that use to be considered the first true Baseball Card), though I cannot remember the "specifics" of those cards at the moment (other than they were team cards - I cannot remember the team). scratch

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Earliest "ball card"...from the 1830s? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down