Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blankets & Pennants Flat-Why?

+3
yawie99
Gary!
TheBig6
7 posters

Go down

Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Empty Blankets & Pennants Flat-Why?

Post by TheBig6 Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 am

It seems that B-18's have been flat, price wise, for many years. I realize the set is lacking in Hofers and not highly collected but it seems odd that they haven't done better appreciation wise.
I have a nice Johnson Blanket that I think I paid somewhere around 200.00 for 15 yrs ago and I went to sell it the other day and didn't get as much as a nibble at 250.00. I don't think the Cobb has done much either hanging around 300-350.00. I have no idea what the Jackson has done over the years. I know there is some red infields that do quite well when they come up. Maybe theres some B-18 collectors that can chime in and enlightened me more about this issue in depth.

BF-2's seem to be a little more popular than the Blankets, would also like to know more about their trends

I bet, If SGC started grading these things you would see more people taking notice of these issues. I'm not in anyway advocating that they start grading them. I'm just saying I think grading has an effect on what people collect.

In the same vain, Look what grading did for P2 Pins. I remember when you could buy P-2 Johnson's, mathewsons and Youngs for 50-75 bucks a piece and now look what grading has done to them.

So, If there are any Blanket or Pennant collectors looking please chime in.

Jerry
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Empty Re: Blankets & Pennants Flat-Why?

Post by Gary! Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:14 pm

I've owned several blankets over the years but I've always ended up trading or selling them. They just don't have the appeal to me that cards do. I think their lack of detail (printing) hurts them... and I think some people just don't know what to do with them since they're not "cards".

I agree that grading and registry competition would definitely help them.

And I'm surprised how far P2's have come. I don't think it's a stretch crediting a lot of that growth to grading.
Gary!
Gary!
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 pm

TheBig6 wrote:I'm just saying I think grading has an effect on what people collect.

I think you answered your own question. If you grade it, they will come.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:56 pm

I agree with Gary and Yawie. I think collectors are more interested in "Cards" and the fact that they don't get graded hurts them as well. If I had a couple hundred bucks to drop and I was looking for a Matty, I would want a beater card instead of a nice B18.

I have two of them that I bought for $8 in an antique mall a few years ago. I bought them because I couldn't let them sit there at that price and walk away, not because I really needed them or wanted them. But, I must admit that every time I hold them, I think how very cool they actually are.

Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? B18_AinsmithBlankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? B18_Williams

Thanks,

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Empty my two cents

Post by nolemmings Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 pm

are that many just don't consider them cards. Here are the usual complaints about b18, many valid;

1. They are short on HOFers
2. Not even all teams are represented, so many team collectors avoid
3. The blankets are usually found beat up--frayed, stained, etc.
4. the blankets can be trimmed--probably can be washed wo/noticing too
5. odd size/material
6. often poor registration

Still, nice blankets are a treasure, IMO. Here are a few I've picked up:
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? B18x410
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Empty B-18 Blankets

Post by vintagecatcher Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:14 pm

I have always like the B-18s. His a link to my B18 page:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqzw1e/thevintagecatcher/id61.html

Then again, I like S74s as well.

Patrick
vintagecatcher
vintagecatcher
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqzw1e/thevintagecatcher/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Nice Blankets Guys, Todd, Your blankets look factory fresh, they are quite attractive when they are that nice.
Patrick Can you tell me how grading has effected S71's..
Here's my Train
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Johnsonbl
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:32 am

BigSix,

That Big Train is a great blanket. I like the elements of the blankets, the period equipment used in the design, the ball field design, the pennants and the full body poses. Come to think of it, why the hell do I not buy these things again?

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:28 am

I agree with the original observation that the market is flat for the blankets I have owned 20 or so since the mid 1980s. Starting buying a few more when I got on ebay in 2000 but the prices are still the same. I tried selling the following lot for $400 with no luck a few months ago all 6 look brand new.

Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? B18fro10

I think the set is actually a bit of a challenge to collect with the scarcities in the set. I have always liked some of the color combinations plus they make nice display items.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Blankets & Pennants  Flat-Why? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down