Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist.....

+4
the-illini
phlflyer1
rman444
scott elkins
8 posters

Go down

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Empty Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist.....

Post by scott elkins Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 pm

For me, the one card that supposedly exists, but I have never seen is an E92 Croft's Cocoa Knight.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Empty exist?

Post by rman444 Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:58 am

T216 Virginia Extra Cobb and Wagner?
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Empty Re: Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist.....

Post by phlflyer1 Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:03 am

scott elkins wrote:For me, the one card that supposedly exists, but I have never seen is an E92 Croft's Cocoa Knight.

One of these years, Scott, one will turn up.

Until then, I'll keep chasing the dream...

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Empty W600 Rickey

Post by the-illini Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 am

One that I believe has never appeared anywhere is a W600 Sporting Life cabinet card of Branch Rickey. He is listed in the checklist, but I dont think an example has ever surfaced.

I am pretty sure there are several other checklisted W600s that haven't been found, but this is one card I always hoped I would stumble across with a BIN on ebay - fat chance! Very Happy
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Empty Re: Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist.....

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:34 am

Great call on the W600 Rickey, Chris. Never seen one before.

I've wondered about a bunch of the checklisted W600's as well. Very intriguing set. Never seen a W600 Mack before. What a cool card that would be huh? Mack's cards are kind of like Plank's in that the so many of them share the same portrait shot (M116, e96, e104, d359, etc). I'm assuming if the Mack does in fact exist, it would have that same portrait shot. Rickey is a whole other story though, as he has so few cards to begin with.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:05 am

Not real vintage but the 1950 Callahan Gehringer dark cap.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:34 am

Since you could order any player that was on a major league at the time, the checklist was generated from that. It's highly unlikely that there was a card make for every player during that time period. Obviously, the most popular players of the day are the ones that we see the most. It's also the reason I don't include the w600s in my pursuit of my player set. There is just no way to know what is out there.

It might be a neat idea to start a thread to compile a list of known cards.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 am

Jay - my thoughts exactly - I am sure there were players whom only their immediate family ordered cards of and other, more popular players, that everyone wanted.

What someone could do in a situation like this, and it could pay off (or the cards could be long gone), is to track down some printer's employees' families and see if they have any cards from the set. I am sure ALL players were printed - while some definitely were requested more than others and survived to this day is another story. I know if I worked at the printer, I would want an entire set. Who knows, maybe an employee took home an entire set and it is setting in one of their great grandkid's attic as we speak?

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Empty B18 Steve O'Neill Red Pennants

Post by vintagecatcher Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:45 pm

The Price Guides list a third variation for Steve O'Neill with red pennants. I have never seen one, and I have never had anyone respond to my posts inquiring whether it does actually exist.

Patrick
vintagecatcher
vintagecatcher
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqzw1e/thevintagecatcher/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 pm

The way the cards were made, I don't they made any of them ahead of time, except maybe the big stars like Wagner and Mathewson. They are photos pasted to a cardboard mount. They most likely waited for the order, then printed the photo, mounted and sent it on its way.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cards listed in Vintage Sets that might not exist..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 am

What could have happened is the photos were already printed (diff. qtys. of course - more of Cobb, Matty, etc. than commons), then when an order came in, they were mounted and shipped. This would seem more streamline than printing the photos after the order IMHO.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am

You have to remember, this was the turn of the century. Service was much more personalized back then and would have been cheaper to wait to print them than make a bunch ahead of time. No waste. It wouldn't make sense in todays business world, but back then, would have been the norm.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down