Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades

3 posters

Go down

SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Empty SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades

Post by sabrjay Fri May 30, 2014 1:06 am

Hmmmm...was glad to hear a new flip is coming, but sadly, they didn't use their comic book model. They could have gone with green trim flips as unaltered and red trim flips as altered/authentic cards. I'm not sure, but I think sports cards are the last major hobby that doesn't recognize restoration. I really wouldn't have a problem with restored items getting a number grade if they went the route of their comic book division.

New SGC flips

new half grades
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Empty Re: SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades

Post by pro9 Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 am

Jay, they introduced those half grades almost two years ago.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Empty Re: SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades

Post by sabrjay Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 pm

doh, shows you how much out of the loop I am, lol  mallet 
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scottand Fri May 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey Jay. I personally am not a fan of any kind of grading "restored" cards. I have no problem with a restored card getting an "Authentic Restored" grade. Kind of like whats going on now but if a card has been touched up,trimmed or colored it just gets an "Authentic "grade.Id rather own a rough 1953 Jackie Robinson graded Poor or Authentic (which I do) than a high grade restored one. Just my opinion but a collection of off grade cards would get my money before any restored cards.

scottand
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 pm

I prefer unaltered cards too. To me they are cards that were loved by someone else. Not put in a box, etc and forgotten for decades. The CGC does great with grading both raw and altered comics. With the different colored flips, as long as you know the system, there is no way you are going to get an restored comic if all you want are raw. As shown with restored Plank, people will pay good money for a good restoration job. So why not grade them? It doesn't hurt you or anyone else as long as they are knowledgeable.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scottand Fri May 30, 2014 11:47 pm

I guess its a preference,I do see your point though. I know the Plank card is the extreme example but you would have to kill me before I let anyone restore a card like that even if it was in poor condition There are some cards out there that are worth more if left alone rather than restore. But like I said, its up to the individual and if they are aware its not original,go for it. I know we arent the only ones who enjoy off grade cards.Along with my 53 and 56 Robinson I just bought a 54. ALL in poor grade but proud to show them off

scottand
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SGC gets a new flip and some more half grades Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 am

I know a guy who does professional restoration work for all sorts of paper collectibles. He doesn't do work on cards because it's not accepted in the hobby, but he does practice on it in case things change. I have a few of his practice piece. The most amazing one is a t206 he stripped it of color and rebuilt the corners. It doesn't fluoresce under a black light and under a 10x loupe, no work is visible. I also have a franken card that is same way except you need the 10x loupe a really good eye to see the difference in layers. I have no doubt there a lot of high grade restored cards out there in slabs that people are not aware of.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scottand Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 am

I believe things like that exist,but it also ruins the hobby.People even fake cards in poor condition thinking no one will question the authenticity if the card is rough. If your friend is that good there are bound to be more out there. I stopped colllecting(but kept my collection) about 20 yrs ago because the market was saturated with crap,(inserts,subsets,mail in redemptions etc.) I started up again but focus on pre-war or the first African American players in MLB. Nothing thats gonna break the bank.I did recently pick up some 70s Kelloggs 3d cards because Im 49 and it brings me back to my childhood but I stay away from anything newer than that. The hobby has changed so much. Thanks for letting me vent. Im new to this forum and I appreciate your comments on my other post also.THANKS

scottand
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down