Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball

2 posters

Go down

Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Empty Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:15 pm

A nice article about Bud Fowler, the original "Black pioneer of pro baseball".

Bud Fowler article
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Empty Re: Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball

Post by pariah1107 Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Great article! Curious, that Jackie Robinson's story can often be told while excluding other black pioneers (see "42", or read "Baseball's Great Experiment"), but the opposite is not true. You can not talk about Fowler without invoking the name, Jackie Robinson. I believe that has more to do with the enormity of Robinson's success, and the social impact it had on the nation.

I see he mentioned Fowler, Grant, & Stovey but no Welday or Fleet Walker? A pet peeve of mine, is when writers give definitive statements like, "there were three" African Americans in professional baseball in the late 1880's, that are difficult to support. Really, who knows?
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Empty Re: Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 pm

One of my pet peeves is the use of the term African-American. It's just about the dumbest politically correct term out there. On the UC-Berkeley campus in the early-mid 80s this is was always a hot topic on the quad. The Jamaicans would get upset if you called them African-American and would point out that they were neither African nor American. The clincher for me was a when a white kid pointed out that he had more of a right to be called African-American than most Blacks because his father was South African, his mother was American and he had dual citizenship.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Bud Fowler articler, the first Black in pro baseball Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down