Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadball Hofers on the Fringe

2 posters

Go down

Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Empty Deadball Hofers on the Fringe

Post by TheBig6 Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:56 am

I need to add some hofers to my collecting checklist as I'm nearing the end of my goal of a card for each deadball hofer. I would like to continue with the fringe deadball hofers. Fringe being players that started their careers and had some good years in the deadball era but most of their best years were later. Also Non-Hofers with Hof status.
These are off the top of my head
Alexander
Rixey
Roush
Maranville
Ruth
Bancroft
Carey?
Hornsby?
Smokey Joe Wood -Hof Status
Chase- Hof Satus
Thorpe-Hof Status

Some these names may not belong hence the question marks. I did no research on yrs played.
Can you think of any names to add to my list.

Ben, This post may belong in a different catagory, feel free to move it.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Empty Re: Deadball Hofers on the Fringe

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 pm

How do you define "Non-Hofers with Hof status".
Arrow
How about a .356 lifetime BA, or a .349 for a caereer started in 1919?

Wasn't Maranville the .250 hitter who set the 20th century record for errors with something above 700? flaglol His would be a card to collect because of "why is he in" while Riggs Stephenson would be one to collect for the opposite reason.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Gil, I was defining Hof status as a player for one reason or another cards were priced like a hofer.
I forgot Joe Jackson
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:01 pm

Deadball Hofers on the Fringe G001710

There are Negro Leaguers, typically on foreign sets, from the era which you specified whose cards command a premium, and whose play was superior to their peers. The card shown recently sold for >$4K, and is neither the best player from the period, nor its most costly card.

http://www.cubanbaseballauctions.com/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=681
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Deadball Hofers on the Fringe Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:25 am

Although, since he has been elected (I forgot), I guess Torriente is not a player who you seek to identify. But there are many others worthy of consideration including: Lundy, Homerun Johnson, Alejandro Oms, Dick Redding, Marcelle and John Beckwith, for example. Most played prior to Foster's organization of the NNL in 1920.

Of course, not just Jackson, but all BlackSox players player's cards sell for a premium.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down