Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadball Era Fun Facts

3 posters

Go down

Deadball Era Fun Facts Empty Deadball Era Fun Facts

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm always interested in learning fun facts about players from the Deadball Era. I learned a couple today. Post 'em if you got 'em

John "Jack" Chesbro:
-In 1904 he won 41 games (the current single season record holder). That year he pitched in 51 games and threw 48 complete games, while pitching in 454.7 innings. He posted a final record of 41-12.
-He was a spitballer.

William Edward Donovan "Wild Bill":
-He received the nickname "Wild Bill" in the minors (while playing for Hartford) after he walked 9 consecutive batters. He did this after teammate Cy Seymour was returned to the majors after throwing wildly over the fence behind home plate.
-In 1907, "Wild Bill" went 25-4 for the Detroit Tigers as a pitcher.
-In 1923, Donovan died in a train wreck in Forsyth, NY traveling to Chicago for league meetings. He was 47.

And something else of interest:
Spitballs were completely banned from baseball after the 1920 season. The only exception was for those spitballers that were "grandfathered" in. They could continue to use the pitch until they retired.

Last edited by crazylocomerk on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Deadball Era Fun Facts Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Deadball Era Fun Facts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Deadball Era Fun Facts Empty Re: Deadball Era Fun Facts

Post by TheBig6 Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:32 pm

TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Deadball Era Fun Facts Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Deadball Era Fun Facts Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:40 pm

I might add that there is one known orphan, Hal Carlson
Barney Dreyfuss, one of the spitball's bitterest enemies, failed to register Carlson's name. As a consequence he was not allowed the use of his spitter and within two years he was back in the minors. However, he toiled diligently to perfect other deceptive deliveries and finally came back to the big time
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Deadball Era Fun Facts Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Deadball Era Fun Facts Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 pm

In 1913 Christy Mathewson set an amazing mark, more Wins than BB surrendered: 25 W, 21 BB.
But the next year he did it again !
24 W, 23 BB.

Five years later it was done again (but not by Matty, who was retired). Slim Salee got 21 W, 20 BB in 1919.

To my knowledge, it wasn't done again until 1994 when Bret Saberhagen turned a 14 W, 13 BB trick.

OK here's another:

26 up, 27 down. Perfect Game? I dunno.

Here is what happened. The starting pitcher walked the leadoff hitter, and was ejected for excessive arguing of the call (and slugging the ump). The relief pitcher comes in, retires the man walked, on a failed steal attempt; then sets down the next 26 batters in a row for the win.
The starting pitcher was Babe Ruth, the reliever Ernie Shore. The date:6/23/17.
Perfect game - you tell me.

Smile

https://vbbc.forumotion.com/pre-ww2-cards-f1/your-top-ten-vintage-cards-t117.htm

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Please note: these "records" pretend that the 19th Century never happened. I think that an inspection will find that the stats of Chesbro, Mathewson, Sallee, Saberhagen and others have been previously registered, often with higher values.)
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Deadball Era Fun Facts Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Deadball Era Fun Facts Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down