Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me!

+8
fisherboy7
TheBig6
pariah1107
jbonie
Z-NUT
Bosox Blair
sabrjay
ullmandds
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Empty Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me!

Post by ullmandds Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 am

Today I took a road trip to my nearest fed ex facility(30 miles rt) because Bill Goodwin can't seem to ship my cards to the correct address...and now my e94 set is complete...barring some eventual upgrades. The cards were packaged in a babushka doll of boxes:[img]Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! E9410[/img]

I fell in love with E94's around 1992 while I was living with my parents and I got in touch with a guy on the old prodigy vintage card board...he said a friend of his had just inherited a box of old cards and didn't know anything about them...but mentioned ty cobb. I met these 2 fellows at a mcdonalds in central nj and the guy had 2 complete e94 sets...minus a mcgraw and about 15-20 e90-1's and a load of non sport cards in a cigar box...and I distinctly remember him having a t215 oriental character card as well. I was a small time collector and offered to help him sell them in exchange for some of the e90-1's but it never happened...and I've regretted it ever since.

And as a result of that experience...I've always loved e94's. I picked up my first 3 in a bargain bin at the 95 nat'l for $5 ea in st louis...and then decided to try to collect the Murray card with all of the different backs. I still need the violet murray...along with tbob and josh i think...i've only seen one...but have no idea who owns it now? I traded a handful of tougher t206 backs to scott elkins for a beater...super common gold lajoie a few years ago. I picked up a lot that included cobb and speaker from REA 2 years ago and decided to go for the set. Nice low grade cards don't come up for sale very often and they definitely sell closer to vg prices when nice.

I'd like to thanks everyone who helped me...via trades and sales. I've never really been a set collector and besides e90-2 this is the only vintage set I've ever attempted.

The Young is definitely one of if not the toughest card in the set from my experience...if you're looking for specific colors of a certain player you may be looking for a while...ask TBOB!

I may have made a specific effort to obtain more of the purple(violet) cards when they were available...whereas none of the other colors besides the murray run were a factor in my acquisition...so the sample is somewhat random:

[img]Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! E94sta10[/img]

In toll including a few dupes the tally is:

3 blue
4 dark green
6 purple(violet)
7 red
7 lime green
10 gold

I'd like to add an m113 to my e94 collection someday and will continue to upgrade.

[img]Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! E94spr10[/img]
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Empty Re: Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me!

Post by sabrjay Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 am

congratz! beer
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Empty Re: Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me!

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 am

Way to go - a great accomplishment to finish off that tough set!!! righton

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:32 am

Awesome set. Congrats! Smile

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:00 am

Since your set is all SGC, will you be entering it on the SGC Registry?
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:07 am

Looks gorgeous Pete, Congratulations!!! bananarama
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:15 am

Awesome Pete! That is a great group photo of the cards! A beautiful set!
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:23 am

Very Nice, Congrats
Enjoyed the story also
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 am

Great set Pete, congrats on the accomplishment. Happy to have played a small role its progression. Your red Young is sweet, and I like the look of that gold Mcgraw too!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks everyone...I doubt I'll put it on the sgc registry...that's really not my bag.

I hope to get nice scans of them all at some point along with the rest of my collection to post on a website...maybe this winter!!!!!

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:27 pm

nice! i think the sweet spot with the e94s is the 30-40 range. most of them are pretty beatup 1s, and they jump exponentially in price when you go up in grade. there will be an e94 find in our lifetime, i would bet on that. just so far the last 8-9 years there's been huge caramel finds of the e9x's and even an e107.

did you see the m131 that just ended?

www.ebay.com/itm/1911-E94-M131-BALTIMORE-NEWSBOY-JIMMY-AUSTIN-SGC-FR-20-ULTRA-RARE-SCARCE-/280926697561
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I totally agree with you on the sweet spot... i'd be very happy with a whole set of presentable 30's. Mine range from fair too good and my best is a 50.

That m113 sold very high I thought. a few years ago they were plenty full after that find and that card would have sold for $3-$400.

It was ugly!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:10 pm

ullmandds wrote:
That m113 sold very high I thought. a few years ago they were plenty full after that find and that card would have sold for $3-$400.

It was ugly!

The M131 type in REA 2012 sold really high (way above estimate) too...a trend?

$1900 + juice for an SGC 20 common... Shocked

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=21964
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:36 pm

I think prices were artificially low relative to their rarity at the time of that large find resulting in supply outstripping demand... as what appears to be happening with high-grade e98's.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:19 pm

ullmandds wrote:Thanks everyone...I doubt I'll put it on the sgc registry...that's really not my bag.

I think you should stick them on the SGC Registry, if not to show them off then simply to show people are collecting SGC cards. The more sets on there, the better it is for the brand. Plus, the cards look great with that black background on their slideshow... it is a great way to show off the set.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 pm

I agree with Jamie. Even if you aren't in it for the glory, more sets on the registry means more competition in the eyes of the people that care and more people wanting SGC slabs instead of PSA
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:48 pm

I was sorta thinking of putting my Bender collection in the SGC registry (all my Benders are SGC), but wasn't sure if they did that sort of thing. Do they?

I'm not a registry guy either Pete, not by any means, but it's a nice way to feature your e94's....especially since you don't already have a website.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:I was sorta thinking of putting my Bender collection in the SGC registry (all my Benders are SGC), but wasn't sure if they did that sort of thing. Do they?

I'm not a registry guy either Pete, not by any means, but it's a nice way to feature your e94's....especially since you don't already have a website.

Hi Ben,

SGC has "Player Set Registries" but this particular area of their registry is very weak. There is no Chief Bender set established. There are relatively few player sets established. I sent in a request to establish a Tris Speaker player set over a year ago. I even sent a list of cards that should be included. They never did anything about it.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

SGC has a "my collection" or something like that, registry option for sets they don't list. I'm surprised SGC hasn't responded to the Speaker set request. They are usually very good about getting things done for their customers.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:02 pm

sabrjay wrote:SGC has a "my collection" or something like that, registry option for sets they don't list. I'm surprised SGC hasn't responded to the Speaker set request. They are usually very good about getting things done for their customers.

That is true - you can make up your own collection parameters (I have this on there for my Red Sox cards and others). The only thing about setting this up is that others don't post what they have in terms of the same cards...so your set is unique, not ranked agaist others with the same collecting goal. But still a nice way to display your cards!
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 pm

I am working on a complete Bender checklist. It's about 10 miles long. I can imagine it would be very time consuming to add all the data for every player, even just for the HOFers.

Didn't mean to take the focus off Pete's e94's, hey Pete, I'm making a G&T in a few minutes and will toast to your accomplishment!

Will you continue to add colors to your set, or are you "putting it on ice" ?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

That's how I have mine: The famed "JBonie Collection". I used to have my n172's in the set registry, but I was easily the highest ranking in the N172 HOF category. Also, I couldn't put in my N173 Ewing & Mascot. So I went with the "Way I Collect" option. Looks great and if someone asks me about my collection I can easily access it without any passwords, etc.

http://sgccardregistry.com/set.aspx?cat=6&set=648
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:56 am

I'll think about this whole registry nonsense...I would def put our bender master set up though! Very Happy

I will continue to upgrade my set...and may start to go for a color run of another player as there are atleast 3 of us who will be fighting it out if a violet murray comes up for sale!!!!!

There are certain cards that just look amazing with a certain background...so I may pursue these as well.

I will consider an orange background, an m113, and maybe an overprint back as well to add to my set.

I worry what happens when all of my cards are vg's or nice 30's except for my big 3!!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:36 am

Congratulations on completing the set.

And I'd like to echo your sentiments about Goodwin shipping out babushka dolls, but I'm glad to see the $$$ for shipping goes somewhere.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Congratulations, Pete! Great set!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Today I completed my E94 set...G and T's on me! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next