Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

e90-3 "Hofnlan" error

+4
psacollector
scott elkins
sabrjay
fisherboy7
8 posters

Go down

e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Empty e90-3 "Hofnlan" error

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:10 am

Jay, I don't recall your Hofnlan error card looking like the one just listed on ebay. Is it the same card? If not, were you aware that another example existed?

HOFNLAN ERROR ON EBAY
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Empty Re: e90-3 "Hofnlan" error

Post by sabrjay Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:17 am

This appears to be a new example. This is the example I used to own
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error E90-3hofnlan
And to think I told I was crazy to think this was a legit variation Very Happy

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:44 pm

It's nice to see a new example to come to light. When I first found this card, many of the nay-sayers claimed it was just a one time printing freak. We now know this isn't the case and that the variation is legitimate.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:31 am

Looks like a legitimate error to me - similar to the Magie T206 error wise.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:01 am

I think Kevin here has mentioned that should be careful with these kinds of variations. Cards with missing text or different text like the Snodgrass/nodgrass or Sharpe/Shappe are not that difficult to recreate.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Empty Looks legit

Post by nolemmings Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:03 am

This is not part of a letter being added or subtracted to a card. This looks to be a legitimage spelling miscue. Dunno how you can change Hofman to Hofnlan.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 am

Actually, my theory is that "m" broke and turned into an "nl". If you look at the enlarged scan, you can see how if you bend the "l" down, it will fit neatly into the "n".

e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Hofnlancut

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 am

Jay,

That's what I have always heard about the "nl". And looking at your close up scan, it looks very possible that part of the "m" broke on the plate and shifted perfectly up on top of the second hump to form "nl". And if that's the case, then it stands to reason that there would have been a number of the cards printed this way before anyone noticed it. I am of the belief that it is not an error like the Magie, rather it is a print defect that happens to very much look like an actual spelling error. But come on, who could have made that spelling error. scratch

Thanks,

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 am

jay i think you got super lucky...i wouldn't pay any premium for the card since i don't consider it a variation. i don't think anybody's mistaking a "hofman" with a "hofnlan" so the plate prolly just broke off...so i don't agree with sgc on this one either. i find the different color back variations alot more interesting with the e90-3s.

i was also gonna start a thread upon seeing the card by davidbryan.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Jay, great eye. That's exactly what it looks like.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:38 pm

I forget if it was Wonka, or someone else, that photoshopped the name showed that it does fit.

Quan, no arguement here, I think it's printing freak that didn't get caught and probably occured late in the run. I also wouldn't pay a premium for it either, but I also recognized that there was money to be made on it, even if it was just a printing freak. There are enough collectors out there that like that sort of thing. I didn't have to pay a premium for it when I won it. I paid $37. After I won the card, I shoed it to an advanced caramel collector. He said he noticed the print flaw, even with the bad scan, but he too poo-poo'd it. Turned out to be a good thing for me bananarama

Even though there are prominent collectors and dealers that don't think it's a legit varation, I got enough of them on my side to convince Bob Lemke to list it. SGC would not slab it until SCD was willing to list it in their big book.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:16 pm

ic ic, so that's how it got the big price...because the scd listed it as a legit variation, someone wanted it for their set? or they've never seen one before and think it might be unique??? i was pretty amazed it got past 1k for a common hofman sgc30.

i will continue to eat crow if this 2nd hofnlan get even half of what the other one got.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Starting bid is $2799, so it will be interesting to see if it gets an opening bid. This is better looking than the one I used to own. If someone is competing for the best e90-3 set, then this card is a must have. Given that both known examples are a 30, owning this card gets you the "complete" set, but it's not going to make or break you for the top spot, but it is need to ensure you have a chance at the top set.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:39 am

Being a printing freak, as we have all mostly agreed, I don't think a set collector would really want or need the card for a "complete" set. This is kinda like the old price guides listing a couple of T207's with wrong backs as regular cards needed for set completion - they are no longer listed, as they are simply errors. Of course, there are some people who WILL think they need an error card for set completion, so it will be interesting to see if this example sells or not.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100e90-3 "Hofnlan" error Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:58 am

As long as a card is listed as being part of the set registry, it will sell. It may not sell for the listed price, but it will sell because there is just too much competition on the registries to let a rare card needed for completion pass you by if you can afford it.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down