Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guys on another board...

+6
rholmes
ullmandds
jbonie
BigGuy219
hrbaker
browncow75
10 posters

Go down

Guys on another board... Empty Guys on another board...

Post by browncow75 Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Bitching about not doing business with certain auction houses, based on the conduct of their owners/operators. Lets face it, when you start dealing with 10's of thousands of dollars for pieces of cardboard, there are going to be guys who are going to take advantage of the situation, right? Then you have guys saying that because a person has a criminal record or have served time in prison, they wouldnt do business with them. On that board in particular, isnt that the ultimate example of hipocrasy, if you know what I mean?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Guys on another board... Empty Re: Guys on another board...

Post by hrbaker Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:52 pm

No, what do you mean?
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:23 pm

People deal with convicted criminals in this hobby all the time whether they know it or not
When you buy and sell over the internet you dont ask someone for their criminal background before you do a deal in most cases
Not just over there but I am aware of at least one person with a shady past over there
If you are going to have a moral compass with your purchases I dont believe you should pick and choose what crimes are ok and what arent
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Wherever there is money, there are crooks.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 am

Probably not too many people are gonna want to touch this one, but I'll take a stab at it. I've done business with Memory Lane, mainly selling them some set registry type cards over the last couple years. Frankly, I felt that JP gave me some very fair offers. The checks came immediately after I sent the cards, so what could I complain about? Certainly there have been a lot of shill bidding accusations at almost all the auction houses except REA. Look, you bid what you're willing to pay. Heritage openly acknowledges that the house bids on their items. That might have allowed me to pick up a great card because detractors won't bid on their items. A different pose N173 Ewing went in the same grade at Goodwin for 4.5k More than I won mine. Maybe that pose is more desirable, I don't know, but they are fairly equal in rarity. So I potentially got a reasonable price on the card.

Legendary was the worst of the situations because for a long time, some "minnow" consigners didn't get paid. Nevertheless they all eventually got their money.

So my advice is to be cautious on your bids, but trust the auction houses the best you can, and beware of shady smaller dealers and people posing inaccurate information or frauds on eBay. No one is an angel in this business, and while it's certainly wrong to do morally reprehensible things, and in no way am I advocating that, being a preacher on a high horse is also annoying. Btw, I find some of the other message boards to be a bit poisonous, Full Count is my favorite.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:47 am

Also proud to say that I typed that whole thing out on my iPhone! Is that skill, or what? Wink
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Part of my dilemna/problem with this hobby...since I was a kid was/is dealing with dealers who are assholes. They've always been present...always will be. Is there really a big difference between a crook...and an as*****? Not to me! People make mistakes...I got caught stealing when I was a teenager...and I don't steal anymore...I'd rather be a one time crook than an as*****!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:12 pm

People can have a myriad of reasons to do business with or not to do business with any individual, that does not necessarily make them or anyone else a hypocrite.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:41 pm

I think this all comes back to the fact that you can't, or shouldn't, dictate how, what and why others collect. These boards have to be pretty much strictly about the cards...it's what the community grows out of. Any ideas about morality (or politics or religion) can only be divisive in this context. So while I may agree on principle with the boycotting of certain auction houses, I am never go to advocate for it here. And this isn't to say I don't think you should stick up for your principles; it's only that I think a public forum about baseball cards, as broad and without nuance as it is, is the wrong place to do it.

Guys on another board... 674205

(Putting you all to sleep.)
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Some of that information is good to know. If an auction house is under investigation for shill bidding, etc that is good info to pass along to fellow collectors. It will certainly make me think twice about dealing with someone that is under investigation by the FBI. That doesn't happen unless something serious has happened to get their attention.

Same goes for someone's personal history. If they have committed crimes in the past, especially recently, then chances are they will committed another crime. If these crimes involve fraud or money, then I'm really going to be leery of the dealer or collector.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:23 pm

nevermind it isnt worth getting into I suppose
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:36 am

sabrjay wrote:Some of that information is good to know. If an auction house is under investigation for shill bidding, etc that is good info to pass along to fellow collectors. It will certainly make me think twice about dealing with someone that is under investigation by the FBI. That doesn't happen unless something serious has happened to get their attention.

Same goes for someone's personal history. If they have committed crimes in the past, especially recently, then chances are they will committed another crime. If these crimes involve fraud or money, then I'm really going to be leery of the dealer or collector.

I agree with what Jay said. I want to know about potentially relevant issues. Criminal activity involving fraud, theft and the like will definitely affect me in choosing a seller. It isn't so much about "morality" as me being cautious about getting screwed. For example, if I knew a card seller had a prior conviction for spousal assault, I would not approve morally, but that is not the type of thing that would necessarily prevent me from ever dealing with that person.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:52 am

Hey guys
I appologise for bringing up such a sensitive subject. I hate how confrontational and poliical things get on other vintage forums, and thats all my thread is seeming to bring up. I let my feelings regarding a certain person cloud my judgement in making some of my statements. Wont happen again!
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:01 am

It's all good Very Happy
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:54 pm

No problem Brandon. You've probably noticed by now that on Full Count, the card-focused threads are the ones that tend to get the most participation/quality discussion. Which is the way it should be.

This thread could have gone in a number of different directions. I'm proud that our board members decided to handle it maturely and respond thoughtfully. Just part of what makes FC a great place to be Smile

Kudos
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Guys on another board... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Guys on another board... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 am

Been a member here for some time now and my only problem was the lack of posting.Always good threads but few posts and sometimes it seemed there were no posts all day. That seems to not be a issue anymore-there are many great threads with many posts in them.
I will be hanging out here more and do my best to contribute.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down