Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PX7(Domino Discs): New Discovery...sort of

4 posters

Go down

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Empty PX7(Domino Discs): New Discovery...sort of

Post by docpatlv Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:39 pm

I completed my base set of domino discs in 2009, twelve years after starting the set with a Christy Mathewson. Having completed the base set, I decided to try for a master set, which would be two poses of each player (in a few cases 3 poses for a specific player).

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Discs1
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Discs2

Pictured below is front and back views of a disc with the manufacturer, Sweet Caporal, prominently displayed on the front, and on the back a domino with the word "domino" and the factory designation.

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of PX7CobbR_D-1MJP PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of RedCobbBk

With the comfort that I had at least completed a base set, I have not felt any urgency as I slowly work towards the master. On one of my searches for discs, I came across one that I had never seen before...

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of ZWilsonForPresident PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of ZWilsonForPresidentBk

Now I'm not really a non-sport guy, but when I saw this I was pretty determined to win it. As PX7's were produced from 1909-12, my guess is that this was produced in 1912 to commemorate Wilson's run for presidency. The disc is the standard size, but the front lacks "Sweet Caporal" and the back lacks the word domino and factory desig. As seen in the pic, it does have a domino present. There is no doubt in my mind that it was made by Sweet Caporal during Wilson's bid for president.

Although it's not sports related, it has leaped near the top of my favorite discs. I don't know if it's a one-of-a-kind, but in thirteen years of searching for discs, I have never seen another one. Just wondering if anyone has seen this same disc before?
docpatlv
docpatlv
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Empty Re: PX7(Domino Discs): New Discovery...sort of

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Very cool stuff. Can't say I've seen the Wilson disc before.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Empty Re: PX7(Domino Discs): New Discovery...sort of

Post by docpatlv Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks Jay,

I hadn't seen it before either although I don't really check for non-sports items. I just thought it was a cool piece that would make a nice companion for my other discs.

Mike
docpatlv
docpatlv
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 pm

You might check with the non-sports crowd and see what they say. Presidential memorabilia can get pretty spending for legit period pieces.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Those discs look great together! Congratulations on your progress. Not a fan of Wilson politically, but that didn't stop me from picking up one of his cards in the SportKings set a couple years back. That card was nowhere near as cool as your Domino disc! Congratulations on a very cool companion piece! I've never seen anything like it.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm

While not a fan of Brian politically, I do have to agree with him that those look great and the Wilson is a very cool find!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by docpatlv Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks Brian and Jeff.

Jeff, do you still have the Am Pub Lajoie? You must be drooling about the upcoming Legendary auction, some pretty impressive PC's.
docpatlv
docpatlv
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Bicem wrote:While not a fan of Brian politically, I do have to agree with him that those look great and the Wilson is a very cool find!

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of 910291

Good thing I'm not running for office!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 pm

terjung wrote:Those discs look great together! Congratulations on your progress. Not a fan of Wilson politically, but that didn't stop me from picking up one of his cards in the SportKings set a couple years back. That card was nowhere near as cool as your Domino disc! Congratulations on a very cool companion piece! I've never seen anything like it.

I'm assuming you mean the US Caramel presidential set. Unless I've gone completely bonkers there is no Wilson in the Sports King set.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:13 pm

sabrjay wrote:
terjung wrote:Those discs look great together! Congratulations on your progress. Not a fan of Wilson politically, but that didn't stop me from picking up one of his cards in the SportKings set a couple years back. That card was nowhere near as cool as your Domino disc! Congratulations on a very cool companion piece! I've never seen anything like it.

I'm assuming you mean the US Caramel presidential set. Unless I've gone completely bonkers there is no Wilson in the Sports King set.

He's talking about some modern signature crap. PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Icon_biggrin
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 pm

docpatlv wrote:Thanks Brian and Jeff.

Jeff, do you still have the Am Pub Lajoie? You must be drooling about the upcoming Legendary auction, some pretty impressive PC's.

yes and yes! Hope my kids did not want to go to college!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:25 am

Bicem wrote:
sabrjay wrote:

He's talking about some modern signature crap. PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Icon_biggrin

Jeff is right about it being a modern set. A couple of years ago, SportKings returned to the hobby and their "best" insert set was a 14 card set of presidential signature cuts coupled with pictures showing the presidents doing something sports-related. Each card was a 1 of 1. I had 9 of the 14 (I think it was) prior to selling them. Just for fun, here is the scan of the Wilson. He was throwing out the first pitch at a ball game, but they cut his arm out of the picture. Nice, huh?

PX7(Domino Discs):  New Discovery...sort of Wilson10
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 am

Bicem wrote:
docpatlv wrote:Thanks Brian and Jeff.

yes and yes! Hope my kids did not want to go to college!

I think Matty will probably get an athletic scholarship, so bid away!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down