Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a

3 posters

Go down

You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Empty You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:30 am

whole lot of T, E, D, W, and M cards which were issued 1909 - 1911. To suspect that the 100 year anniversary of t206 is going to somehow overcome the fact that 1909 is the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Cent, and drive non-collector purchasing focus through the attractiveness maze of other baseball card sets infers to me a singlemindedness which is difficult to fathom.

I do not think that the typical first time baseball card purchaser will care much about the fascination of all of the different tobacco advertisers and their districts and other operational subdivisions, associated with t206. They may find a disc to be quaint, a pin neat, or the gold opulence of a Ramly attractive. But 500 mostly unknown players? More likely they will go for the t51 College Series.

So, if you are planning on scarfing up t206s with the intent to unload them at a profit when the Anniversary ship docks, be aware that I am buying 1909 VDBs, and so are others.

The preceeding was a Public Service Announcement brought to you by the Full Count Committee for Behavioral Rehabilitation

insane
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Empty Re: You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a

Post by sabrjay Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:00 am

I am somewhat in agreement with Gil on this. The 100 anniversary of the Lincoln penny is going to be huge. Given the popularity of the state quarters and the decent interst shown in the Presedential Dollar coin, there is no way that the t206 set is going to overcome this. Coin collecting is much more mainstream something that people can more easily relate to.

In 1987, just about the zenith of card collecting, the 100th anniversary of the Old Judge set went by almost unnoticed within the hobby. I just don't see this creating much more than a very temporary bubble that will burst quickly.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Empty Re: You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a

Post by scott elkins Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:36 am

While I agree that the Lincoln Cent is VERY POPULAR amongst collectors and will probably see a huge increase in the already inflated prices (based on price per number minted), I have to say I believe T206 prices will jump and there will be more people collecting than before. The same increase in T206 collectors and T206 prices happened recently when Topps included T206 cards in certain packs in 2002 (I believe that was the date - I don't buy new packs any longer, so I am not certain). Again, I think the increase that we will see in T206 collectors and prices will be even larger for the 100 Anniv. than they were after Topps T206 promotion! Shocked

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:24 am

Scott, that's exactly why you won't see much of an increase in demand or prices, the Topps206 set already drew in all the casual collectors that existed at the time. This hobby isn't growing much, so there isn't a whole lot of new casual collectors to draw in. The only way you will see a big increase in demand and prices is draw in new people from outside the hobby. That's just not going to happen. You will see a temporary spike, but it won't be sustained. I'll be taking advantage of that spike when it comes and unloading my t206s.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:06 pm

I've got to think that a percentage of the baseball card collectors will perceive a 100 year old card from an important set is desireable to add to their collection, an a number of them will become hooked on the set.

I also think that a percentage of the non-collecting public will follow any newspaper or magazine article, and want whatever is being touted. And a 100 year old baseball card is likely to be viewed as an attractive purchase to many.

But although the stories (Wagner et. al.) associated with the set are noteworthy, as is the history and artwork; talk of discontinuance of the penny, coupled with the Lincoln issue being the only US coinage to achieve 100 year longevity, and the general recognition of coin collecting as a viable investment option, will result in minimizing the impact which would normally be assumed to coincide with the t206 anniversary.

I really do not think that there will be even a spike in the t206 prices, and I do not forecast much appreciation in the value of the penny either, for the simple reason that in both cases the supply of material is too great in my opinion to notice much impact from (what?) 5000 new one time purchasers?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Lincoln cents were probably a good buy a few years ago. I'm sure that more than a few astute collectors/dealers have been gobbling up desirable pennies. They will take advantage of the new influx people looking to buy, especially the 1909, no matter the mint mark of the VDB.

Coins have a huge advantage in that everyone can relate coins since they handle them every day. Baseball cards are ver specific. You need to have an existing interest in baseball on some level to get excited about the 100th anniversary of a set.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:45 pm

TBH guys, I have already noticed T206 prices increasing over the past few months - especially on certain cards.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100You've got Domino Discs and Pins, Ramly, postcards, and a Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:17 am

scott elkins wrote:TBH guys, I have already noticed T206 prices increasing over the past few months - especially on certain cards.

But how much of that can abtributed to the upcoming 100th anniversary and how much is just market correct from recent soft prices and natural inflation?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:30 am

One doesn't really know Jay, as you would have to guess what people are thinking (which is impossible). I do know that I have been buying more T206's and have been paying slightly higher prices than before to help add to my "hoard" of T206's for the 100th Anniv.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down