Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade with New Board Member

+7
v117collector
bowlingshoeguy
Bicem
3-2-count
crazylocomerk
TheBig6
fisherboy7
11 posters

Go down

Trade with New Board Member Empty Trade with New Board Member

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 pm

I received this T206 Johnson today, which was my end of a recent trade with new board member Erich Wolters (wolterse). Couldn't be happier with the card, and Erich was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Thank you!

Might have to get this one graded. Any guesses as to how it might do? Very clean card except for the miniscule nick on the left of his cap where it meets the hairline.

Trade with New Board Member T206johnsonTrade with New Board Member T206johnson2
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Trade with New Board Member Empty Re: Trade with New Board Member

Post by TheBig6 Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Ben, If they don't downgrade for the nick, I would say a 70 or an 80
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:52 pm

Beautiful card Ben! I will have to agree with Jerry's assessment on the card for a grade.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Would you believe me if I told you I've never sent in a card for grading? In nearly 9 years of collecting prewar cards. Meh, no big deal I guess.

I must say though, I'm still a little apprehensive to do so. But there are a few cards in my collection that might be a little "too clean" to remain "in the nude". boobies We'll see what happens.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:37 am

Ben,
My guess, a 60. I'm pretty harsh. Beautiful card.

Tony A. frustrated
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am

Here's my 60 for comparison
Trade with New Board Member Sgcjohnson
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:54 am

do it Ben, join the darkside.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:04 am

That Johnson has great color on it, my guess with the "nick" it will come back a 40.

Personally would would send it in just for the protection value to keep it looking the same.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 am

bowlingshoeguy wrote:That Johnson has great color on it, my guess with the "nick" it will come back a 40.

Wow, 40? Ok there mr. partypooperguy. And Tony thought he was being harsh! Razz

But seriously, if you saw the card in person Lee, I think you'd change your mind. Maybe "nick" isn't the right word - there's no indent on the card or any disturbance to the surface - it's just a tiny white mark. Anyways, I'm just happy with the card regardless of what a 3rd party grader might say.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by v117collector Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:30 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:That Johnson has great color on it, my guess with the "nick" it will come back a 40.

Lee

Hate to agree with Lee, but he's right about SGC being extremely harsh on cards with "nicks" or minute flaws even if the card presents NM. Is there a big problem with grading system?? No, SGC and PSA have different grading standers, especially when it comes to cards that present very well.

I’m starting to believe the hole grading system is over rated and should only be use to authenticate cards that are not altered (all others don’t get slabed). That being said I do believe the top two grading Companies for the most part are consistent and would be a worth while investment to protect any collection.

I think the card deserves 5.5 or 6

Buy The Card Not The Grade!

v117collector
v117collector
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

http://tinyurl.com/58gpxz

Back to top Go down

Post by mwieder Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Assuming that card would only grade a 40/50 (and is not trimmed; the mind goes there when seeing mid-high condition cards raw), here is what's wrong with the market in my humble experience: Whether graded a 40 or a 50, that card certainly will sell for a premium due to the eye appeal, but the premium will be pretty much capped at the top range of whatever that grade sells for. In other words, if it grades a 3, you'd have almost no chance of getting anything more then 4 money for it, even though it looks like a 6. It has been my experience that the vast majority of the market when buying uses VCP much more as a fact of value and less like a guide and there should be some room there; some 3s looks like 5s and some 5s looke like 3s and they should sell accordingly. Even if you find a buyer open minded enough to consider valuing that as a 6, when he realizes that he's won't be able to get 6 money out of it when he wants to sell/trade it, he will probably think twice.

mwieder
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Here is a prime example, it took me a long time to find the flaw in this card but it has a very very tiny pin hole:

Trade with New Board Member Nearly10

Trade with New Board Member T2020910

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Lee, that card is overgraded, it should be no better than a 20 (pinhole).

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 am

I rained on Ben's parade and Elliot sent a hurricane to my parade. tongue

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:58 am

hehe, you know my policy "protect the moderator at all times". Kind of like protecting the goalie in hockey.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 am

Goalies take a lot of shots, just so too many don't hit your head.

E you are a kinder gentler mod. I think Ben was your padwan learner. ninja nun-chucks will have to replace the light saber. geezer Obi-Elliot-Kanobi

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 am

hey ben,

sweet card, i've seen 50s recently from sgc with a little front paper loss. i think they'd give it a 50...psa might give u a 5 or 6 (depending on how high up the evolutionary scale the grading monkey is).
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 am

cccc wrote:sweet card, i've seen 50s recently from sgc with a little front paper loss.
Hey Quan, nice to see you back around here. What's new?

Just to clarify, there's no paper loss on the Johnson - just a tiny spot. I'll probably take the plunge and have it graded eventually. Will let everyone know the result when I do - I honestly can't fathom it grading any less than ex, but we shall see.

bowlingshoeguy wrote: ninja nun-chucks will have to replace the light saber. geezer Obi-Elliot-Kanobi

Not anymore!

star wars fight
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:02 am

hey ben,

all is well, i'm travelling at the moment. nothing new or grabbing my interest on the card front, i've been busy on some watch boards. i'd recommend u giving ur card to ur obi mod elliot to bring to the national for grading...so the card won't have to deal with the cross borders trip by itself.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trade with New Board Member Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trade with New Board Member Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trade with New Board Member Empty Johnson

Post by wolterse Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:35 am

Hey Ben - That's a nice looking card you got there Laughing

Thanks for making the trade for the Chase/Tinker. I'm equally pleased and wish you well if you get the card graded. I actually sent both of yours in and am keeping my fingers crossed!

wolterse
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down