Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind:

5 posters

Go down

The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Empty The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind:

Post by TheRiddler Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 pm

If you discover that a $50. bill that you have is counterfeit, what do you do?

1. Try to pass it off to a store so that you don't get caught "holding the bag"
2. Turn it in to a bank and see if they really confiscate it.
3. Try to pass it off somewhere else that may not hurt an individual.

excerpted from Vintage baseball cards and collectibles site:

(Date Posted:10/15/2008 10:31:39)
.... "bought this 4/1 Exhibit cut-out of Ty Cobb on eBay years ago (I believe he even had the seller end the auction early, thinking it was a great "find"). Anyway, (he) listed this card on his website as a "W-Unc." Cobb card for around $600!!!!!!!! THIS IS ONLY 1/4 OF A CARD! (he) ALSO KNEW IT, AS PEOPLE TOLD HIM WHAT HE HAD DONE AFTER HE PURCHASED THE CARD - (he) WAS SIMPLY TRYING TO GET HIS MONEY BACK"
(much of the rant deleted for clarity)

The point being: I wonder how many of you would tear up a fake to prevent a fellow collector from being caught?
I don't know if I would. But I have destroyed a trimmed card which came in a lot of good (50s) cards, before passing them on.
A fellow hobbiest is known (by me) to seek out overgraded cards which he obtains at a discount, and then resells them as if the holder grade is accurate.
Exactly what do you feel is good business and what is unethical, in your opinion?

Last edited by TheRiddler on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited to delete reference to specific individuals, since they are not here do explain their thinking nor actions.)
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Empty Re: The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind:

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:17 pm

That is a great point. I think all of us at one time or another have been stuck with a card not as advertised. I personally am sitting on a fair number of T206s that are trimmed and have had a dilemma of what to do with them because there is a good chance the buyer will try to pass them off as unaltered which happened when I purchased them.

I think if they bother you having them in your collection you need to sell them with the proper disclaimers.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Empty Re: The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind:

Post by mwieder Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:00 pm

I have an M116 Cobb that I have to sell/trade that PSA claims has been recolored. I could easily sell it well above my asking price without disclosing the issue (the card is VG-EX otherwise), but I have made it known that PSA said it was discolored and am therefore sitting on it still. Even though I disagree with PSA's assessment, I wouldn't pass it off as not having any issue.

mwieder
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Right_bar_bleue

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/

Back to top Go down

The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Empty Matt...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Glad to hear it was not trimmed, i am also surprised to hear recolored. I don't have your M116 Cobb in front of me but looking at the scans i also can not see any indication of it being recolored.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:46 am

The point being: I wonder how many of you would tear up a fake to prevent a fellow collector from being caught?

No, but I have made an entire website out of doctored cards to help fellow collectors from being taken.

I personally am sitting on a fair number of T206s that are trimmed

Should you want to sell them I may be interested....or donations are always welcome pray . I use these and beaters to dissect and experiment on. They would not go to waste and I will not enter the hobby. They will be used for the good of the hobby...and many times are destroyed in the process.

but I have made it known that PSA said it was discolored and am
therefore sitting on it still. Even though I disagree with PSA's
assessment, I wouldn't pass it off as not having any issue.

Matt, you can always send it to me for a thorough inspection. As you know, many collectors have done this when they don't agree with a grading company. This is where a 4th party "validator" (kinda' like a gladiator) comes in handy. I will give you an honest opinion based on objective findings. Should it reveal the card in not recolored, you can sell it with a clear conscious. Oh, and you know the cost...free!
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100The '52 Mantle thread brought this to mind: Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down