Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on this E98 Bender, stamp back....

4 posters

Go down

Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Empty Opinions on this E98 Bender, stamp back....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:47 pm

I just received this E98 Bender...it has an unusual stamp on back. "PAID"

As i looked at it with my eye loop i can see how the ink is still present even after some paper loss but no ink from the players.

Can it be possible that the stamp was put on before printing. I know Scott E. has a card with a cigar stamp that Kevin has checked out.

Mark

Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... E98ben10
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Empty Re: Opinions on this E98 Bender, stamp back....

Post by terjung Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Ah, the "underprint" question. To me, it would make sense that the ink used to stamp "Paid" was either a larger quantity or different type of ink or had some other reason that caused it to permeate deeper into the card than the adjacent player names. With the light paper loss, the names and most of the paid stamp were lost, but some remnants of the paid stamp remain. I do not hold myself out to be an expert on such matters, but it would seem to me that is more likely than the alternative.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Empty Re: Opinions on this E98 Bender, stamp back....

Post by sabrjay Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Guess would be that ink just bleed thru deeper into the paper. The lithographic process doesn't lend itself to inking that seeps deep into the paper.

I still don't buy the underprint theory on anything unless the card looked like it was true printers scrap.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:34 pm

As to the checklist looking like it is on top of the PAID stamp, that can be attributed to the checklist ink be glossy. The ink for the PAID stamp is most likely is a water base. It would run off the glossier ink of the checklist giving the appearance of the checklist being on top.

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Empty ahhh...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 pm

that makes sense....thanks Jay.

You learn something new everyday.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:56 am

I still don't buy the underprint theory on anything unless the card looked like it was true printers scrap.

I agree. Unfortunately, the one that I was able in inspect and examine in-depth this year belonged to a person who many dislike (that may be an understatement) and I was caught in a terrible heard mentality.

A "highly respected" person in the hobby and I both agree it is very real. Had it belonged to anyone else, it would been taunted as a new discovery and over glorified. Even if had been someone who I disliked, I would have come to the same conclusion.

That was not of the best times of the year and caused me to back off from posting on most boards. I'm now trying to ease myself back into posting. Fortunately this is a great place to start.

Sorry for venting.

Mark, if you want to send the card over, I will be more than happy to inspect it and give an objective opinion. The price is right....free.

Kevin
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this E98  Bender, stamp back.... Empty Thank you Kevin...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:10 am

That is very nice of you to offer that...i do believe you and others when they say my "PAID" stamp is after-the-fact. It just looks weird when you see the "PAID" going thru a few layers and the players names looking like they are on top.

I am sending it to SGC for grading and may sell it down the road or just keep it.

Thanks
Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down