Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare 19th Century Issues

+4
scott elkins
fisherboy7
the-illini
mzm55
8 posters

Go down

Rare 19th Century Issues Empty Rare 19th Century Issues

Post by mzm55 Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:06 am

I have always been a big fan of 19th century material, the rarer the better. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to own too many key pieces but I try to pick up 1-2 a year. To me, nothing can beat the sepia imagery used in many of the rare 19th century sets (Four Base Hits, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, N338-1 and 2 S.F. Hess, etc.). So in hopes of starting a discussion on these rare issues, feel free to post images of cards you own and information on them!

To get the ball rolling, I’ll post my N338-2 Curt Welch. Nestled in a set full of New York players (a result of the maker of this issue being located in Rochester, New York), Welch represents one of only two St. Louis players in the issue. The only other cataloged (to my knowledge) non-New York player is Getzein of Detroit.

Rare 19th Century Issues Sfhesslts

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Rare 19th Century Issues Empty Re: Rare 19th Century Issues

Post by the-illini Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Great topic Zach - I agree; the ultra rare 19th century cards are some of the nicest ones out there in my opinion. I would absolutely love to own a Kalamazoo Bats Harry Wright card. The image of him sitting on the bench is one of the coolest poses out there!

Here is my one rare card from a tough 19th century set, which I post often (if I ever get another tough 19th century card I plan to retire this one from its posting duties!) - a Yum Yum Mickey Welch...

Rare 19th Century Issues Mickey10
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Great cards, guys! Other than my Sporting Times Cigar cabinet of the NY Giants, I don't have much in the way of rare 19th century issues at the moment. One of my absolute favorites is the N338-1 SF Hess Cali league issue (the color ones). I think they are among the most stunning cards ever made but are rarely seen due to their rarity. I used to have a nice one but the the bottom caption was trimmed off. I would love to own a full sized one in any condition.

Rare 19th Century Issues N321

While not quite as scarce as some of the sets Zach mentioned, the N173's cannot be overlooked in terms of rarity/beauty. A nice N173 with a crystal clear photo is a stunning sight to see. The ones with black mounts are especially impressive. Here's a beautiful two player N173 from the Burdick collection:

Rare 19th Century Issues Tagging
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:58 pm

These are some really nice and rare cards guys!

While I currently own zero 19th Century cards, I have always loved some of these rare issues. My top two wants over the years have been a Lone Jack example and a Yum Yum example. In fact, I remember being in the bidding on the Yum Yum Welch pictured when it was in a major auction. I simply couldn't win it and the other two lots I really needed at the time and had to drop out of the bidding on that one.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:23 pm

I've always had a fascination with the Yum Yum set. Only had one type card back int he 80s. The name is so wrong for a cigarette scratch

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:02 am

Set names have always fascinated me. Its almost as if you could compose a song out of 'em.

Yum Yum
Num Nums
Kalamazoo Bats

Gypsy Queens, Lone Jacks, Ju Ju Drums, Nadja, Four Base Hits.
Texas Tommys, Yuenglings, Buchner Gold, No. 7, Dixie Lids, J=K;
Big Eater, Home Run Kisses, Just So, Scrapps, Lorillard, George Close ...

OK, Im not a composer.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:01 am

Here I go bumping an old post again....

But I thought some of our newer members might have some 19th century cards they'd like to share with the rest of us. It seems like less and less of the really rare 19thc stuff is coming to market these days.

Some of us might remember seeing truly special G&B Al Spaulding, which belongs(ed?) to an advanced collector whom many of us are familiar with. That has to be among the top 19th century cards in the hobby, wouldn't you say? Unfortunately I don't have a scan of it on file to share.

Besides the Spaulding, the 4BH Kelly and the Just So Young, what are some of the other top 19th century cards in the hobby?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:00 am

The Duke Cabinet of Ed Delahanty has be up there.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:09 am

There are the high profile players in the rare sets cited above as one example of "top 19th century cards in the hobby" and if given a choice between them and alternates, a specialty collector who was not motivated by price could seek cards important to his collecting area of specialization. Certainly many of these options involve rare and unique collecting opportunities.

One example of a card which (assuming that I already had a Spaulding) I would prefer over most high profile players is a SF Hess Charlie Sweeney because it is his only card, and he has baseball achievements which fit my collecting objectives.

There are many other similarly uncommon cards which fit other collecting objectives; which a 19th century specialty collector may deem as a priority.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:23 am

I'm the first to say that most HOFer cards are very overrated. If those cards didn't depict and HOFer, most people would never give those cards a second thought. T206 Cobb cards come to mind. Talk about a bunch of bland and boring cards. But because they have the name Cobb attached to them, people think they are the some of the greatest cards in the set. There are so many other portrait and on-field cards in the t206 set that look much better than any card.

I cited the Duke Delehanty not because it feature Big Ed, but because there really isn't a bad card in that set, but it's the one that stands out. I got to see all them at one time before I ever knew who Ed Delehanty was and it was the one that stuck out.

In the OJ set, the Moxie Hengle "Deadman" pose is my favorite in the set and he's a Minneapolis player which is an added bonus.

Then there is "Motorcyle Riding" Benny in the t210. Possibly the best card in existance.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by OJsOJs Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:56 pm

I really like the 19th cnetury rarities but for some reason or other I just can't get myself to shell out $$$ for one card. I use the $$$ to purchase several OJs (N172) rather than the ONE card. I'e been really tempted but I've resisted so far.

Did anyone happen to see the Beckett guide on OJ prices? If so, does everyone agree with the price structure? Contact me if you do agree with the prices and if you have a Phenomenal Smith (portrait) card you want to sell at the Beckett guide price.

OJsOJs
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:20 pm

How about M117 for a rare 19th century issue that's rarely talked about. When's the last time one of these babies sold on the open market? The Old Cardboard profile has an Anson pictured, what a card Shocked

Rare 19th Century Issues M117
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by dstudeba Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:50 pm

There was a yellow M117 that sold within the last 2 years in REA I think. I forget the player, but it went high. JC might have picked it up, but I am not sure. They look too much like a cutout Harper's Woodcut to me so I don't follow them.

I would love a SF Hess California League Sepia some day.......

dstudeba
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Rare 19th Century Issues Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rare 19th Century Issues Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down