Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

19th Century cards

3 posters

Go down

19th  Century cards Empty 19th Century cards

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:24 am

Anyone collect them by player milestone?
Such as:
First shutout, Hit, HR, etc.
Highest average, Most HRs, most consecutive ...
more, more, and then some (history)

yawn
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
19th  Century cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 10019th  Century cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

19th  Century cards Empty Re: 19th Century cards

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:11 am

The only one I kind of collect that way is Tip O'Neil, highest single season batting avg. My 19th century collection has kind of evolved from the random ones I picked up early in my collecting.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
19th  Century cards Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 10019th  Century cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Well to me:
19th Century cards cost a lot.
And although I could obtain no-name players chosen solely on the card's appearance (and the grade), I don't do that.
Exactly. Well, I do.
But first, I research the "no-name" player to find out some thing about him which makes him more interesting than the average no-name player - somehing he did - or something that happened to him.
For example: a .248 /.300/ .317 hitting outfielder for Chicago in the 1880s has become a rather popular card because the player, Billy Sunday, became a well known evangelist after baseball.
This tho is a card which has already gone up in value, because of a special interest associated with a no-name player.
I select players whose cards have not gone up in value because of factors potentially of interest.
An example of this is shown below.
This player pitched 16 shutouts in the initial National League season, he also started his team's first (consecutive) 88 games, and pitched the NLs first no-hitter in 1876.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bradley-1887-Old-Judge-N172-Sioux-City-RARE_W0QQitemZ380114071956QQihZ025QQcategoryZ86839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
To obtain this player's card in the condition shown, and at the price shown, seems to me to be a bargain. I did not bid on this because I have one of his cards.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
19th  Century cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 10019th  Century cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down