Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples?

+6
lamontcarter
Bicem
asphaltman76
fisherboy7
yawie99
crazylocomerk
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Empty Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples?

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm in the market for a new scanner. Mine is OK for unslabbed cards, but does a really poor job at slabbed cards. And being that all my cards are slabbed, I have a little problem. I'm looking for a scanner that I can pick up for less than $125, but that does a great job with depths, clarity, etc.

Any suggestions? Model Number and Manufacturer?

Here are what my scans look like:
These are the most recent ones:
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? 1911E94LordHarryBlueBackground

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? 1911E94MooreEarlGoldBackground

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? 1911-16HarryDavisKottonCigsType3

Thanks in advance.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Empty Re: Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples?

Post by yawie99 Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:56 pm

I really like my HP 3500c. I'm not crazy about its bare-bones software, but I use it with MS Digital Image Pro and it works pretty well for slabbed and raw cards.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Empty Re: Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples?

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 pm

Steve,

Looks like the HP 3500c model can be had for a very reasonable price.

Can you provide some sample scans from yours?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:42 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:Steve,

Looks like the HP 3500c model can be had for a very reasonable price.

Can you provide some sample scans from yours?

Yes Please.

I also found some good information on the Cannon Canoscan 4400f, and hear that this was a good one for slabbed cards.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:11 pm

I'll also find out tonight what exactly I have at the house...it's actually the wife's, and I can't imagine it was expensive at all.
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:51 pm

I won't bore you with specific settings yet, but here's a slabbed scan, compressed to my site's default display:

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? 1909-11%20T206%20Shaugnessy%20-%20SGC%2010

And a raw card compressed from my original settings to my site's default display:

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? T206%20Howell%20_Hands%20at%20Waist_%20Pied%20350-460-Fact%2025_

Here's a link to my site, in case you want to see the scans in their original form: http://imageevent.com/yawie99 I won't post them here in case we have any dial-uppers, but if you click "Original" next to the "Other Sizes" option under each scan, you see my super-size scans. They're all 300 dpi. I think I use a height of 1250 for slabbed cards and 750 for raw stuff.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:53 pm

That scanner does a good job with SGC slabs. I might just have to consider that one. Thanks Steve!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:30 am

Canon 4200f works well for me...

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? E107%20Waddell
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:01 am

I like that scan...nice. What does the Cannon 4200 run?
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:14 am

That canon was my other choice. It sure does look good. I can get that one for under $100
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 am

Great thread Eric....my scanner is a POS too and I was thinking about getting a new one. That Waddell does look sweet.

Anybody know if they sell that model at Best Buy or Circuit City?

Scott
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:42 am

Thanks Scott.

I looked on Best Buy.com. They didn't have either of these scanners. They did have one, but it had CIS technology instead of the needed CCD technology to compensate for the different depths of the slab. If you don't have CCD, then your scans will look like mine.

I think our two best bets are:

HP 3500c

and the Canon Canoscan 4200f or the model up the 4400f.

From what I've seen here I think I like the Canons.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:50 am

This is the scanner of the wife's I use. Simple and cheap and doesn't look too bad with the cards.

HP 3970 Scanner

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? D359morganf
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:52 am

Amazon is our best bet for picking up a Canoscan: 4200f or 4400f.

I checked the specs and both are CCD. With shipping you're looking at about $100. Not bad.

Here's the direct link. I will probably order one of these this weekend, as I need one badly. And a good one. The reviews are really good on the 4400f, from other card collectors.

Here is amazon's link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canoscan+4200f&x=0&y=0
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks for the research and link Eric. I just ordered one from Amazon. If you can wait 5-9 days they offer free shipping on it (which I took). $90 all in.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

Scott
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:27 am

Thanks Scott for the heads up on free shipping. I ordered mine too.

Canoscan 4400f it is!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:55 am

Are you guys cropping your scans or are your scanners neatly doing it for you?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 am

I crop mine manually.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 am

yea i had scanning problems for the longest time also with those thin canon lide scanners...so i switched to an hp since i saw them scan nicely...but from rman u just need any model with the ccd and u should be fine. even beckett slabs are no problem.

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Speakers
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:12 pm

I've got a HP C4385 all-in-one and its no good Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Sc000811
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:52 pm

That's how my current scans come out.

My new scanner has shipped. When it arrives and I set it up, it I'll post the results.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Scanner arrived today. I'll try and get it set up and post some scans tonight.

Scott
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:55 pm

lamontcarter wrote:Scanner arrived today. I'll try and get it set up and post some scans tonight.

Scott

That's awesome! And that was quick shipping. Mine should be here in the next couple of days. Can't wait to see your scans.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Need a good Scanner for slabbed cards. Ideas? Examples? Easter10

This looks great to me Very Happy
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm basically technologically stupid. Can anybody tell me how to make this smaller? I resized it to 640 whatevers for websites. Should I chose the smaller version for blogs?
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next