Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rights to card images

3 posters

Go down

Rights to card images Empty Rights to card images

Post by PeteBrowningFan Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 am

I'm sorry to start a new topic about this, but it encompasses a couple of things being discussed here. The "only one example" and "reprints" makes me wonder who has "ownership" of the image of the lone type? It's garbage that these image thieves can profit from the sale of someone else's card image. Are these considered public domain? I needn't worry about it happening to me, but it chaps my backside to see this piracy take place.

PeteBrowningFan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Rights to card images Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rights to card images Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Rights to card images Empty Re: Rights to card images

Post by scott elkins Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:19 am

To the best of my knowledge, I believe these images are not protected under any copyright law unfortunately. I have seen many sellers/dealers/collectors place their "name" or "handle" on their images on their websites to prevent this type of activity however (as well as people trying to sell a card they do not own).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Rights to card images Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Rights to card images Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by PeteBrowningFan Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:22 am

Thank you Scott. I suspected as much. I figured if you posted something on-line anywhere it was up for grabs. If I owned, say, the Just So Young, and I saw its "twin" for sale, someone would have trouble coming. Thanks again!

PeteBrowningFan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Rights to card images Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rights to card images Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:15 pm

That is where it might get sticky (owning a one of a kind card). One "might" have a case then. However, I still believe the law states you may own the card but NOT the image.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Rights to card images Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Rights to card images Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:48 pm

An image can be copyrighted, but that probably takes more effort than it's worth. Plus, it's usually not worth the effort to go after the person using your photo. Think you have to prove that they are making money just because of your image. Therefore even a copyrighted photo could be pasted on this forum or passed to friends. And if someone is using it to sell fakes, it would probably be easier to bust them for fraud. Hope this is right - law stuff is always confusing. insane

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down