Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images?

5 posters

Go down

Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Empty Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images?

Post by browncow75 Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 am

Hey Guys,
I am thinking of getting a graded card display cabinet for my OJs, but I wonder if they might fade or be damaged if they are kept "out" over time. They wont be in direct sunlight, but will they be at risk from any residual rays that come in to the room? I always like the OJs with strong images when I can get them, so I dont want to waste the time and money on a display if its going to mess the cards up over time. Thanks!
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Empty Re: Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images?

Post by jbonie Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:57 am

Short answer is yes.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Empty Re: Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images?

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:36 pm

I'd also agree.....Yes.

Unless you can somehow prevent UV light from penetrating into the room. Either a room with no windows, or you can tint the windows in the room AND use blinds. I've actually done that with one room in my house. I tinted both windows with a 1% film (allows 1% of light through). The tint is so dark that you can't see into the room. In this room (the "MAN CAVE"), I have many cards and autograph displays on the wall. I've had no issues with fading over the last 5 years. I wouldn't be afraid to leave any of my T216's out and about in the room if they weren't locked away.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Yes they will degrade, but if you are dead set on displaying them there here are ways to protect them. There are five key factors to proper display, (1) light, (2) temperature, (3) pollution, (4) moisture, (5) time.

Light: UV light is the enemy. Unfortuantely the sun is not the only source of harmful UV light. All light sources have some aspect in the ultraviolet range. So direct light exposure for any time should be avoided. The case should be in a controlled lighting environment. Any room where the light is turned on/off frequently should be avoided. Instead a consistently low lit room is advisable without windows facing south. UV films and conservation glass on the display case would be helpful in avoiding exposure.

Temperature: Before placing cards in case, place cabinet where you wish it to be and place a high/low thermometer in the cabinet to monitor temperatures at various times of the day/year. Consistent temperatures should range from 45 - 70 degrees (with 50 degrees being ideal).

Pollution: Where to start? Case should not be open and shut variety (or see a lot of use), but rather remain closed. To avoid Off-gassing which can degrade cards the display case should be made of metal, plexiglass, or sealed woods. Using a silica gel pack in the case acts as an internal buffer and pollutant absorber. These act like stay fresh packs in beef jerky.

Moisture: The ideal relative humidity for archival display is 35-50%. Too dry and the card will warp, or crack. In an area of high humidity such as a coastal area, or the southeastern U.S. a dehumidifier is almost a must, and vice versa, a humidifier will be needed for drier regions.

Time: It is not recommended that any cards, or art be displayed for longer than three months a year to maintain quality.

I hope this helps. But best to just put 'em, and keep 'em away.

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks alot for the advice guys!
I will forget about the display idea. I will just keep 'em tucked away in my mini-safe, and if anyone, including me, want to look at them, I will just get them out of the safe!
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Damn.....good summary pariah! Way to cover all the environmental impacts.

Guess I'll keep my T216's locked away after all Smile. I don't care enough about what I have up right now to put that stuff away. It's all newer shinier stuff anyway.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 am

Questions regarding collection storage can be quickly cleared up with the purchase of a high/low thermometer with hygrometer. This will monitor temps and humidity for less than $50. A small expense for the preservation of any collection.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Will Displaying Old Judge Cards Damage the Images? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:11 am

Wow. This thread has been an eye-opener. I had no idea how many forces of nature were working against our collections. I was thinking about having an old autographed piece framed, matted, and put on display but now after reading this I feel like I should vaccuum seal it and send it to the dark side of the moon.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down