Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 years ago today...

2 posters

Go down

100 years ago today... Empty 100 years ago today...

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Babe Ruth made his major league debut

Ruth debut
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
100 years ago today... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100100 years ago today... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

100 years ago today... Empty Re: 100 years ago today...

Post by jbonie Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:02 am

Yes, Ruth was a great player, but if he were alive today, I don't think he would be that great.  Today's players are so much more athletic.  The game has changed so much since back then.  You can say that for every player, but ultimately, it almost makes me sick to think of the Yankees greats.

The reason why is because Cashman and the new ownership have basically turned the team into a punchline.  Even you, Jay, who used to hate the Yankees, is now making sympathetic posts about Gehrig, Ruth, Jeter, etc.  I actually think that's nice of you, but man, oh man.  Couldn't they be a little more competent.

What really makes me mad is the offseason they had that left me scratching my head.  I was always cynical about the McCann signing (who signs a 30 yo catcher to a long-term deal?).  Maybe Ellsbury seemed okay, but seven years to a 30yo CFer who is injury prone.  They did well with Tanaka, of course, but now he is injured, too.

What does Cashman have to do to get fired - bankrupt the entire organization?
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
100 years ago today... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100100 years ago today... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:05 am

Oh yeah, and a three year, big-money deal to Carlos Beltran who is 37 years old.  My oh my...
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
100 years ago today... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100100 years ago today... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Great players will be great players, no matter what era they played in. Ruth would have benefited from all the training that is available today. Probably the only that would have changed is that he would have either been a pitcher his whole career or a hitter. We never would have gotten a chance to see greatness in both.

As for "going soft" on the Yankees, I give credit where credit is due. Except Mantle. Can't stand the guy.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
100 years ago today... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100100 years ago today... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm

The Mick, LOL.  Yeah, he had his demons.  I can't say that I like him, either.  He kept all the memorabilia people sent him to have autographed.  That is really absurd.  Though I guess there is a certain legend surrounding him based on his accomplishments.

Kind of a Mike Trout with more power.  Winning all those championships sort of puts a gloss on everything.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down