Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.?

5 posters

Go down

resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Empty resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.?

Post by Maris61 Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:34 am

Hi all,

I've returned to collecting somewhat recently. Like some, I collect only what I can easily afford (no Mantle RCs for me, thank you very much)--and, more importantly, what I like.

Lately I encountered a few sets that neatly fit these criteria: 1933 Sanella (w/ the inexpensive but lovely Ruth card), the 1958-65 Jay's Publishing photos/cards, and 1976 Isaly's Sweet William discs. . . . BUT cursory research shows that one thing these have in common is an affordability due either to market flooding (Sanella) or relatively recent warehouse finds (Isaly's & Jay's).

Does anyone know of other such sets--"vintage" (i.e. pre-1981) yet affordable b/c of old stock newly discovered? Are there some recommended resources that cite or report on such finds?

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by Marris61 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maris61
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Right_bar_bleue

http://pulpephemera.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Empty Re: resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.?

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:12 pm

There was a big find of unopened 1951 Topps red back in the mid 80s. I would think that set is still very affordable in high grades. Then there is the recent Black Swamp find of over 800 e98 cards. The e-card experts on the board have more insight as to what is happening to that market than I do. Otherwise, I can't think of any other large finds of the type you are talking about.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Empty Re: resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.?

Post by Maris61 Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Jay, thank you for that--and from a cursory look you certainly seem right about those '51 topps red backs. . . .

Anyone else have anything else to add?

Maris61
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:06 am

There was a large find of tango eggs cards(which I'm sure you're aware of) in excellent + condition rendering certain cards very common as compared to others in the set...I believe there was a stash of high grade mello mints(e105) found a ways back too. More recently there was the large candy find of late 20's-early 30's cards stored in an old candy distributor in unopened condition.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 am

How could I forget the Mello-Mint find. I bought a number of those cards from the person that made the find. Great cards with no center crease that was common for the cards.

There was also a large find e92 Nadjas that if I recall correctly was all St Louis players.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100resource to learn about vintage warehouse finds, etc.? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by m-mac Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:00 am

I don't know a resource, but two books by Mr. Mint and several You Tube videos cover the many grounds he has walked to buy low and sell low. Descriptions of early Topps and Bowman "finds" or huge buys in places like western Illinois, Tennessee, and elsewhere.

As mentioned, the 51 Topps "find" was wholesaled through SCD in the mid-80s, as I recall. Don't recall the details. I think they were offered for $10 a pack, $85 for 10, and $700 for 100, or something like that. I bought a few. Each pack included two red backs. You could see at least one of the cards through the wrapper. Some of the packs had a broken seal, but I didn't think they were searched.

Back then, I think there were offered a huge lot of early 1960s unopened cellos. I do not know who offered them or if they were real.

Sometimes, "find," was used as a marketing gimmick. I think there was a "find," of Homogenized Bond Bread cards, but I do not know if they were a real find or not. Again, I seem to recall these were sold through an ad in SCD during the 80s. Also, I recall a "find" of 1950s Coke cards.

I seem to recall a large amount of strip cards from the 1920s were found, but I cannot recall when or if these included sports.

Obviously, the recent vintage finds of the Black Swamp, a lot of T206s, and the chips cards were exciting. Personally, the Black Swamp find showed, to me, maybe how some series of the caramel cards were distributed: outside the packaging and through retailers such as butchers. The lot of T cards show a collection as it was originally assembled. The location is known and the cards collected are known, so again, provides a potential clue about distribution. Those chips or discs I think were introduced here, and a descripted of how the collection was assembled, which I forget, was provided.

m-mac
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripken Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 am

Haven't heard of any 'warehouse finds' lately. Here's a story about a cool vintage find that just happened though.

And here's one of the more amazing relatively recent finds of unopened stuff from decades ago

Ripken
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Maris61 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 am

hey ripken, do you have those links you were going to post?

Thanks!

Maris61
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripken Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 am

Scroll over the latter half of the text in my post...it's linked.

Ripken
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down