Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what is vintage anyway?

5 posters

Go down

So what is vintage anyway? Empty So what is vintage anyway?

Post by nolemmings Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:40 pm

I've seen this discussion from time to time on the various boards. There seem to be a few different delineation points as to when vintage ends, and I say noone is really right or wrong, at least within reason (I can't see anything after 1981 being considered vintage, even 25 years from now).

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to see more post-war stuff over here, but I understand and share some of the concerns: 1) the board will get overrun with scans and stories about regular Topps issues; 2) registry talk or similar PSA/SGC smack will proliferate; 3) few (read no one) here will care about the printing run intricacies of the 1986 Topps set, the fact that the card number on the back of Mike Kilkenny's 1970 card displays in a white baseball instead of the usual yellow---it really does Smile, etc. Still, I know most here collect SOMETHING baseball related after WWII, and all did at one time, so how about the display of this stuff every once inawhile? Unless and until it gets to be too dominant or distracting, I would like to see some regionals, oddballs, test issues, team issues, etc. I mean how can you look at something like this Campy--one of my favorites, a 1952 H-O Oatmeal--and not think of vintage?:
So what is vintage anyway? 52hand10
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
So what is vintage anyway? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100So what is vintage anyway? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

So what is vintage anyway? Empty Re: So what is vintage anyway?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I believe that we could accomodate a 50s and other special interest threads on this forum easily.
And I would have an interest in some discussions of 50s baseball as well as other subjects (non-sports, for example); however, I am uncertain that there is sufficient interest in any additional subject to warrant a seperate section. Therefore, wouldn't the Bull Pen be the place right now for such discussion?

You gotta like Campy. one of the best odd numbered season hitting catchers in the game, but in the even numbered years, he couldn't maintain a .250 average.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
So what is vintage anyway? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100So what is vintage anyway? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Most of us (Pre WWI Collectors) collect other eras as well. Last night, while speaking with Dan Koteles, he was searching for some 1950's cards on eBay and I was talking about the ones I like from the 50's (sets and singles).

It seems that the price guides, like you stated, usually have 1980 as the cut-off point. I guess it depends on the individual. At least on this forum, we have places where you can talk about any era - even those silver and gold coins Gil collects! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
So what is vintage anyway? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100So what is vintage anyway? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:16 pm

The Bull Pen area is fair game to talk about anything. We'd prefer that politics and religion be left to other message boards.

You are more than welcome to talk post WW2 cards in the Bull Pen if you like. I can't see a seperate area for 50s cards coming any time soon. The Bull Pen should be able to handle it for now. I know there are a few poeple that ignore the Bull Pen area because all they want to read about is Pre-WW2 cards and that is what main focus of this board is supposed to be.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
So what is vintage anyway? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100So what is vintage anyway? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:18 pm

To be fair to Todd, he originally posted this thread in the Bullpen but I moved it here because I felt the main question, "what is vintage anyway?" is hobby related, and a discussion appropriate for the "Hobby News" category.

I agree with the previous responses though. Any subsequent discussions of 50's/60's cards and stuff like that is great Bullpen material. I think a discussion of 50's regional issues (in the Bullpen) would be a very interesting read. So go right ahead Todd righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
So what is vintage anyway? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100So what is vintage anyway? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down