Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A player you'd like to have seen included in a set?

+10
ullmandds
Bicem
t206head
pariah1107
Bosox Blair
jbonie
seablaster
terjung
sabrjay
BigGuy219
14 posters

Go down

A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Empty A player you'd like to have seen included in a set?

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Now I'm not talking about fantastical creations such as, "Hmm. I bet Derek Jeter would look neat on a T206."

I'm talking about players who could have been in a set, but were excluded for various reasons.

I know the obvious choice for some would be a T206 Southern League Joe Jackson, but I don't want to be obvious.

For me it would have to be a T3 Grover Cleveland Alexander, simply because the art for the card was included in the S81 set. It will therefore always be a tease of what could have been.

A close runner up would be a M101-4/5 Christy Mathewson, because then we would have been treated to an attractive set that featured the entire 'first class'.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Empty Re: A player you'd like to have seen included in a set?

Post by sabrjay Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Cracker Jack Jim Thorpe
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Empty Re: A player you'd like to have seen included in a set?

Post by terjung Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Great question!

T204 Wagner, Matty, Cobb
Voskamps Clarke
E107 Duffy
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 pm

sabrjay wrote:Cracker Jack Jim Thorpe

Ditto.

Although I think a T210 Jim Thorpe would be cool too. He played for Fayetteville and then Rocky Mount per baseball-reference.com. I believe both those teams are represented in the T210 series. I wish I could make a mock-up.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm

A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? T210Thorpe

I gave this a go and I like the way it turned out. Very Happy

I used the image of Thorpe from the Police Gazette supplement because of the lack of background elements. You can see the lines from the folds however. I wasn't adept enough at using the smudge feature on the picture editor to eliminate them.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 pm

N172 Cy Young. He missed it by one year.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I like...

1915 Cracker Jack Babe Ruth RC
T204 Tris Speaker
T206 and T205 Harry Hooper
T206 and T205 Smoky Joe Wood

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 pm

STRIP CARD WARNING! COVER YOUR EYES PURISTS; Austin McHenry in the 1919-21 w514 set. Solid player for the St. Louis Cardinals. Only played 1918-22, 2nd in national league in batting average in 1921 (hit .350). Career shortened by beaning.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm

t207 Cobb and Matty
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Rotograph Mathewson.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 pm

diamond stars gehrig, ruth...33 delong ruth...cj ruth...t206 cj jackson, t216 ruth, t213-3 ruth.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:53 pm

a cy young mayo would be nice!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm

ullmandds wrote:a cy young mayo would be nice!

Good one!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by walktheplank Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:28 pm

E104-3 Cobb

walktheplank
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:30 pm

N172 Al Spalding (A stretch, but other owners are in the set, and Spalding was running the White Sox at this time)

N300 Mayo Bid McPhee

E107 Jesse Burkett

E107 Connie Mack

E107 Clark Griffith

Star Player Candy Grover Alexander

the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:02 pm

There is a strong possibility that the e104-3 Cobb exists, as well as a Mathewson. Both teams are well represented in these sets but cards for those players have never been seen.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:00 am

I know I'm straying from the proper time range, but I'd give anything if Stan Musial was in the 1957 Topps set. He's the one player who would've made the set absolutely perfect. It's a great example of what I call an ideal 'axis set.' By that I mean it had a beautifully simple, clean, and classic design (though I know others on this board disagree on the quality). Plus, it contained guys who went all the way back to the 30's (e.g., Mickey Vernon), and guys who went all the way forward to the upper 70's (e.g., Aaron). So you're talking about representation of nearly 40 years of baseball in one set, with a heck of a lot of seminal (and HOF) names included. The 1933 Goudey set is about the same; '48/'49 Leaf and the early Bowman's, also. Certainly The Monster qualifies as that kind of set.

But the one glaring exception for 57T is: Musial. And I don't know why he wouldn't sign a contract with Topps; if anyone knows the scuttlebutt on that bit of history, I'd love to hear it. It probably boils down to nothing more than they wouldn't ante up enough dough to make him happy. Whatever the reasons, he's the only man missing from what is still my very favorite set of all time.

And in terms of the actual time range, I agree with ullmandds: I'm actively collecting the Diamond Stars, and I do sorely wish Gehrig and Ruth were included. But I'll get them, anyway, by collecting '34 World Wide Gum (and in fact I already have the Gehrig, one of my happiest acquisitions). Very Happy
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:52 pm

Walter Johnson in any of the major E card sets. How cool would a E92 Johnson horizontal pitching pose be, to go alongside the Matty?

Or maybe a sharp E103 Johnson portrait?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100A player you'd like to have seen included in a set? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:36 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:Walter Johnson in any of the major E card sets. How cool would a E92 Johnson horizontal pitching pose be, to go alongside the Matty?

Or maybe a sharp E103 Johnson portrait?

We all know that Walter Johnson was an early crusader against childhood obesity, and refused to support children eating caramels.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Nice Chris I think he was a crusader against dental caries as well!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum