Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are your favorite players to collect?

+10
T206Collector
onlychild
yawie99
Comisky
joejo20
cccc
sabrjay
ItsOnlyGil
scott elkins
fisherboy7
14 posters

Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty Who are your favorite players to collect?

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 am

My favorites are Plank, Waddell, Keeler, and Mack. Aside from being great players/managers in their own rights, I like these guys because they were all unique characters.

I've made the most progress with my Plank collection. So far I have his E107, D359, T204 Ramly, and E95 (scans below). I'd like to track down a decent E93, but for the time being I'm happy with what I have now :albino:

So who are your favorite players to collect?

Who are your favorite players to collect? E107plank Who are your favorite players to collect? E95plank Who are your favorite players to collect? Newplank Who are your favorite players to collect? D359Plank
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty WOW! Those are some nice Planks!

Post by scott elkins Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:16 am

I guess my two favorite players to collect are Joe Jackson and Ty Cobb, though I have been mostly collecting cards by their backs lately, I still have quite a few Cobbs and Jacksons lying around (that I will post some scans of when I get another image hoster).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty Re: Who are your favorite players to collect?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:26 am

Ben:
I don't really collect by player.
I collect by year.
By that I mean that I select cards which represent specific noteworthy accomplishments of players for each year of baseball history.
For example, in 1936 three position players each set the all time high batting average for their position.
These were: Appling, ss; Babe Phelps, c; and Bill Dickey, c.
So I obtain a card of each from approximately 1936.
Also Hubbell began his 24 consecutive (over two years) win string, so a card of him is necessary.
1936 was also the year of the double: 7 players wound up with 50 or more two baggers that year - so they are included: Medwick, Gehringer, Herman, Waner, Walker, Hale and Chapman.
And that is all I picked to include for that year, but there are no rules.
I do this for every year.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty Re: Who are your favorite players to collect?

Post by sabrjay Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:30 am

In my first incarnation as a collector I used to get any card I could of Sam Crawford, Ken Williams and Benny Kauff.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm

i love the old philly a's and their 100k infield...plank/bender/baker/collins.

i'm also drawn to tragic figures such as joe jackson and ed delahanty.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by joejo20 Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:32 pm

As a Michigander, I naturally like to collect Detroit Players. I am also contemplating collecting a few HOFers, especially Bender.

Who are your favorite players to collect? Img36411Who are your favorite players to collect? Img47310
joejo20
joejo20
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty Favorites

Post by Comisky Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:59 am

These are my top three:

1. Matty- Have his E93, E98 (two colors, still searching for the red and green), E101, E103
2. Cobb- Love all of his cards, next cobb acquisitions are going to be his T cards
3. Jackson- Unfortunately, there are not that many cards you can collect of him
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 am

Not that I necessarily have a lot of cards of any of these guys, but I'd probably say Matty, Chase and Cobb. Among less obvious favorites, Hans Lobert, Germany Schaefer and Ed Konetchy. Or really any early St. Louis players for that matter.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty Player

Post by onlychild Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:01 am

A little off subject but I collect:

Rocky Marciano & Titanic cards.

This one is my favorite...and it's pre-war! I've only seen 14 in over two years.

Who are your favorite players to collect? Sgctitanic

Kevin
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Kevin,

I am with you regarding Marciano. I have a 1951 Ringside Rookie. IMHO, he is the MOST UNDERRATED BOXER OF ALL-TIME! Afterall, he is still the only Heavyweight to retire undefeated. And, I love watching the old fight where he knocked Joe Louis through the ring ropes and out into the audience! For anyone who claims Louis to be the greatest boxer ever, I simply refer them to watch the Marciano/Louis fight - there is no way they can say Louis is the greatest after watching Marciano manhandle Louis!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty This is my favorite image

Post by T206Collector Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Who are your favorite players to collect? Mathew10
T206Collector
T206Collector
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.T206Collector.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Wow, Nice card Paul. affraid affraid affraid

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:51 pm

I collect any old Baltimore players pre 1940 and Frank Robinson who is my all-time favorite player.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Who are your favorite players to collect? Empty favorite players to collect.

Post by Julie Vognar Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:04 am

My favorite player was Dummy Hoy (I had 5); my second favorite player was Hoss Radbourn ( I had ..4, I think--plus the Artball. my third favorite player to collect was Mike King Kelly...ARIGHT--because he was so cute, damn it!

I still HAVE some photos or cards (and a scan of the ball, which I, uh, gave away)...but I can't figure out how to post scans on this verschlungener ("Mad" magazine German) website. Suspect

The most fun i ever had collecting was giving away a N162 Kelly, and the Hoss Radbourn Artball.

Hoy belongs in the HOF, for several reasons, and Radbourn...was Radbourn.
Julie Vognar
Julie Vognar
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:07 am

Julie Vognar wrote:I still HAVE some photos or cards (and a scan of the ball, which I, uh, gave away)...but I can't figure out how to post scans on this verschlungener ("Mad" magazine German) website.

Hey Julie, a short scan posting tutorial was posted in "tech support" right HERE. righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:37 pm

My favorite is Grover Cleveland Alexander - he was the first of the "big-name" hofers I got when I started collecting, and I have liked him ever since. He appears on some cards I would love to own - A Wm Paterson or D381 Fleischmann's of Ol Pete would be a dream come true!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Who are your favorite players to collect? Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Who are your favorite players to collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down