Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist?

+8
Bicem
jbonie
pariah1107
terjung
sabrjay
cccc
ullmandds
BigGuy219
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Empty Re: "Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist?

Post by CARDMAN Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 am

In my opinion most of the people i have seen here i would call advanced collectors , myself excluded , but hope to be one day.

Richard
CARDMAN
CARDMAN
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://oldcards.weebly.com/wood-burning--drawing-page.html

Back to top Go down

"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Empty Re: "Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist?

Post by pariah1107 Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:50 pm

CARDMAN wrote:In my opinion most of the people i have seen here i would call advanced collectors , myself excluded , but hope to be one day.

Richard

Plenty of people on this board are NOT advanced collectors, but regular contributors such as myself. I have found that Full Count, perhaps more than any other forum, is loaded with collectors who are positive, informative, and complimentary. As opposed to judgmental, derisive, and just plain mean-spirited. I think you will find your experiences here, very helpful and pleasant, as I have. Ty

PS-Don't get me wrong it's not a hippy commune.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 pm

I wish this place were a hippy commune!?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm down with the hippie commune idea. We all need to learn to live in peace. I'd be even more enthusiastic about it if there were some cute girls on the board so we could practice free love. Practicing free love with Pete and Jay wouldn't be to my taste, though I'm tolerant of those fellows for whom it would be.

So as it stands, the board is kind of like a hippie commune without the free love.

Thanks Ty, I apprecriate your thinking on this matter. Next we can all find a way to stop plate techtonics. Together. As a community.

jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 am

Maybe the board should budget for chicks?! How much of that lowdy money is still available?

FULL COUNT...the message board for vintage baseball card collecting hippies...who like hot chicks!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:12 am

ullmandds wrote:Maybe the board should budget for chicks?! How much of that lowdy money is still available?

FULL COUNT...the message board for vintage baseball card collecting hippies...who like hot chicks!!!!

So you think women can be bought, Pete? That is so un-hippie of you... nono We will need a sensitivity training class before we begin our commune.

I was thinking we could locate our commune somewhere near Mt. Shasta... my friend lives out there and she says that it is uber-spiritual... that the energy is really amazing, very high vibrations and you feel incredibly connected to the universe. It would be an outstanding place to practice our yoga, meditate, and do shamanic healing. pray
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:20 am

OK official nomination for "I have read too much Carlos Castaneda" goes to Jamie. Put the aromatherapy candles down, and noone will get hurt.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 am

Ty, I have no idea who Carlos Castaneda is... you'll have to inform me. scratch
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:05 am

Spent the better part of 10 years in a hippie commune. Great experience.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:14 am

Wow, really? Do tell.

I went to a hippie college but was never really accepted by the hippies... I was too much of a jock. In all seriousness, although there were some very nice hippies, others I found to be smug and rigidly idealistic. So I guess I failed at being a hippie. It would be interesting to hear the story of someone who actually succeeded at becoming one. Smile
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:16 am

Castaneda wrote a series of books on shamanism in the late 60's. His book "The Teachings of Don Juan" is a decent examination of psychedelics, and the guru/student relationship. It can be found at your local New Age bookstore.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 am

pariah1107 wrote:Castaneda wrote a series of books on shamanism in the late 60's. His book "The Story of Don Juan" is a decent examination of psychedelics, and the guru/student relationship. It can be found at your local New Age bookstore.

Interesting. I thought I heard the name before. He was probably into psychedelic mushrooms, they were used by the Huichol Indians in Mexico. The difference is that they were used by the natives only once a year, whereas Americans into shamanism tend to use them more recreationally.

The one thing I always hated were the "gurus". These all-powerful teacher-types who claim to have found enlightenment, etc. There was so much babble surrounding spirituality altogether that I pretty much quit, became an atheist, and now study western philosophy.

Though I must admit that I was happier back then. Perhaps I could go back to it, but there is so much there I found distasteful and kind of brainwash. However, I made some very nice friends and one of them actually has become a shaman (not the one near Mt. Shasta).
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Hippies are just like any other sub-culture. You have the whole gamut of personalities. Where I lived there was no "free love". That's sort a big myth that public has about hippies. Yes, they are probably more open to casual sex, but you can't walk up to a woman and say "Hey baby, let's get it on." There still needs to be some level of attraction.

There were usually 10-12 people living there at any time and brothers and sisters passing through knew they always had a place to rest, shower and relax on their journey to where ever they were going.

We weren't in the country either but we always had a large garden. Everyone helped with chores, be it cooking, cleaning etc. If you ever get a chance to go to the annual Rainbow Family of Living Light Gathering I highly recommend it. Much better than Burning Man which has become very commercialized. There is no charge for The Gathering. All that is asked is that you bring supplies. It can be sugar, flour, toilet paper or anything else, and that you help out in one of the kitchens. I always helped out at Lovin Ovens. They do all the baked goods.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"Advanced collectors": what are they? do they even exist? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I am way too punk rock to be a hippie or join a commune, and the smell of patchouli oil makes me sick. My enjoyment of guns, hunting and fishing, does not go over well at Barter Faires. Perhaps it might be my bumper sticker that reads, "Paper and pulp mills out of business, wipe your ass with a spotted owl". But as Jay said there is a lot of diversity, and I do not mean to pigeonhole them.

I must admit, occasionally I will put on a Jimi Hendrix album and enjoy it guilt free.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 pm

sabrjay wrote:Hippies are just like any other sub-culture. You have the whole gamut of personalities. Where I lived there was no "free love". That's sort a big myth that public has about hippies. Yes, they are probably more open to casual sex, but you can't walk up to a woman and say "Hey baby, let's get it on." There still needs to be some level of attraction.

There were usually 10-12 people living there at any time and brothers and sisters passing through knew they always had a place to rest, shower and relax on their journey to where ever they were going.

We weren't in the country either but we always had a large garden. Everyone helped with chores, be it cooking, cleaning etc. If you ever get a chance to go to the annual Rainbow Family of Living Light Gathering I highly recommend it. Much better than Burning Man which has become very commercialized. There is no charge for The Gathering. All that is asked is that you bring supplies. It can be sugar, flour, toilet paper or anything else, and that you help out in one of the kitchens. I always helped out at Lovin Ovens. They do all the baked goods.

Thank you, that is a great recommendation. I would seriously consider going to that. I have never been to Burning Man but basically feel the same way that you do about it. I think there was probably more "free love" before the advent of AIDS. Who knows? Maybe you'll see me out at the Rainbow gathering someday.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:50 pm

pariah1107 wrote:I am way too punk rock to be a hippie or join a commune, and the smell of patchouli oil makes me sick. My enjoyment of guns, hunting and fishing, does not go over well at Barter Faires. Perhaps it might be my bumper sticker that reads, "Paper and pulp mills out of business, wipe your ass with a spotted owl". But as Jay said there is a lot of diversity, and I do not mean to pigeonhole them.

I must admit, occasionally I will put on a Jimi Hendrix album and enjoy it guilt free.

I would like to go hunting but do not trust myself with a gun. I think I would become the next Dick Cheney. Bow and arrow, I could get into, though I hear it is very difficult. Fishing is awesome. Wish I had the opportunity to do more of those things out in the country. City life is very different. Sad

I think that as far as stuff like paper mills go, we need to be practical. We all need paper and not to wipe our asses with spotted owls. But that doesn't mean that paper mills need to dump their pollutants in the waterways. Same with dealing with climate change. We need to be realistic about it and realize it is a scientific reality, take practical steps to control it, but realize that industry still has its place and realize the function it has in our lives.

Personally my favorite of the hipster musicians is Bob Dylan. Also a fan of a lot of folk rock, Joni Mitchell for instance. The Band. I like Jimi but I think his guitar skills are superior to most of the songs in their totality, if that makes any sense.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:31 pm

jbonie wrote:
I think that as far as stuff like paper mills go, we need to be practical. We all need paper and not to wipe our asses with spotted owls. But that doesn't mean that paper mills need to dump their pollutants in the waterways. Same with dealing with climate change. We need to be realistic about it and realize it is a scientific reality, take practical steps to control it, but realize that industry still has its place and realize the function it has in our lives.

Very well said Jamie, and I agree. The bumper sticker is an absurd statement, meant to provoke thought, and debate. Nothing on this earth upsets me more than irresponsible morons who damage our ecosystem without an eye on the consequences. I believe the great majority of hunters and fisherman are for responsible, sustainable fisheries and hunting grounds. When I go hunting, I always bring bags with me to pick up the discarded garbage from people without respect for the environment, and almost always carry out more than I packed in. Of course, potato chip bags make an awful racket, and may explain my recent lack of success. That, or the fact I'm a lousy shot. I'm usually helping others carry out their trophy.

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:36 pm

My only problem, and most hippies have this one with the lumber industry, is that they no longer need to log old growth forests. They have enough tree farms already to sustain their industry. The reason they want to log old growth/virgin forests is that is where the most valuable lumber is. They still haven't figured out, that like farming, you can't have a monoculture system. They replant only trees that they want to harvest. They haven't figured out that you need to replant the entire forest. If they haven't figured it out, they don't do it because they deem it too expensive which only themselves to blame for bad lumber in their monoculture forests.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Absolutely right Jay! Monoculture forestry is a plague in the Pacific Northwest. The planting of one species of tree has advanced the spread of disease in the system, especially the pine beetle. The resultant deforestation by disease or worse, dead undergrowth is exactly what contributed to the rapid spread of the nearby Taylor Bridge Wildfire.

In my opinion the Department of Natural Resources is vastly understaffed. I would welcome the establishment of a Civilian Conservation Corps-like organization that renewed our national parks, and maintained/improved forestry roads and trails.

Old growth forests, the predominant habitat of the spotted owl and countless other fragile ecosystems is very controversial. It is the line in the sand, washed away by the tide.

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2