Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID

+2
jbonie
mortatort
6 posters

Go down

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Empty PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID

Post by mortatort Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Just bought my first pre-war baseball card. Looks similar to the E122 and the W573 cards, but has a blank back. Also it looks suspiciously clean. Any comments?

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID IMG_9191

mortatort
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Empty Re: PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID

Post by mortatort Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I've also noticed that on all the examples I have found online, the text on the front of the card is on the left end instead of the right.

It's a nice looking card and I found it for pretty cheap. I'm only out $15 total is it's a repro of some kind.

mortatort
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Empty Re: PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID

Post by jbonie Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Best thing you can do is buy SGC or PSA graded cards. That way you know they won't be repro's. Welcome to the board!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mortatort Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

and btw, forgot to mention that it's a 1922 card.

mortatort
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Welcome mortatort!

What you have there is a nice, authentic W573 strip card. And yes, it's from 1922. Pretty much identical to the E120 American Caramel set, aside from the checklist back that E120's have.

W573's were printed on vertical strips of 10 cards....so yours has been handcut off one of those strips, which explains the somewhat wavy cut on the right side. I think it's worth about what you paid ($15) but not a whole lot more. Nice card though, and good pickup for someone who's new to prewar.

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask! There are plenty of good folks on this board who are willing to help.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by mortatort Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:35 pm

E120.. that's what I meant to say. Thanks for the reply Fisher. I didn't even notice the wave in the cut until you mentioned it, in spite of having thoroughly looked over the card several times.

Any guess on what this might grade as? I've got a few post war cards that I may get graded and I could send this one too for just a few bucks more. More of a personal satisfaction thing vs a dollar decision. Three corners are pert and one is a little split, but barely.

Here's the back

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID IMG_9192

mortatort
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm afraid it might not receive a numeric grade, and will be rejected as not meeting minimum size requirements. This happens sometimes with strip cards-- I had this one meet that fate with SGC a few years ago, and it seems to have more border than yours:
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID 22w573gerber

If it is graded, it looks like a small wrinkle in the upper right corner (as the card is shown) extending down to the "L" in Nationals would knock it down to a SGC 40 or PSA 3, maybe one grade higher.

Still, a nice card. Good luck.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:01 am

Getting strip cards graded is a crap shoot IMO. Here' my W573 and it has less border that the one posted above.

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID W573%252520Hank%252520Gowdy

And for fun here's the same Ford image as the OP on a V61.

PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID V61%252520Horace%252520Ford
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 am

agreed with both todd and tim. w cards sometimes get numerical grade, and sometimes they don't. just depends on the weather that particular day and whether the grader is paying attention.

(i managed to pull both weather & whether in the same sentence and didn't mess them up)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100PreWar no0b here, just got my first. Trying to positively ID Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mortatort Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:05 am

Nice cards there ABravefan11 !!

Looks like we may be competitors for the same cards Very Happy I'm doing braves from the present to as far back as I can afford. Right now I have back to '51, w/ only this card dating prior. If you do the same perhaps we can trade extras sometime??

mortatort
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks mortatort. Though I don't have many duplicates or extras I'd be happy to help out in the future if I can.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down