Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot vs. Cold Sets

+3
scott elkins
Bicem
fisherboy7
7 posters

Go down

Hot vs. Cold Sets Empty Hot vs. Cold Sets

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:04 pm

After having taken the '07 year off and away from the hobby, I'm probably more out of touch with the current card market than I have been in a while. So maybe you guys can help bring me up to speed. What are the current "hot" sets and "not" sets?

A few initial observations is that the b&w photographic sets have really escalated in price over the past year or so. I can't believe what some m101-4/5's are selling for. Ditto for the E135's (Collins McCarthy).

What's going on in caramel - finally slowing down? How about tobacco and 19th century stuff?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Hot vs. Cold Sets Empty Re: Hot vs. Cold Sets

Post by Bicem Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:00 pm

agreed on the b&w photo sets you mentioned, I think Exhibits have also picked up in price.

caramels kinda depend on the set, e98's and e94's are still hot, yet e93's have definitely cooled from a year ago.

19th century still hot, and I see it getting even hotter for '08. I think overall tobacco has seemed to cool, especially in high grade.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:13 pm

I know Uzits and Red Hindus have escalated (just after I began collecting them again). The last SGC 10 Uzit common on eBay went for over a grand (I thought I overbid on it and was the third underbidder)!

Personally, I think the high-grade tobacco cards have cooled down - especially T206's mainly because of the number of trimmed examples in high grade holders. People are more cautious and paying less for these mostly out of fear of paying a ton of money for an altered card IMHO.

Last year, I sold my remaining horizontal and other E120's at substantial profits. The cards I had paid between $20 and $30 for the previous year, I sold for prices between $200 and $300. naughty I have to agree with Ben on these - the B&W issues have increased over the past year in prices. I know in the E120's, the dramatic increases were mostly due to a handful of bidders who began collecting the set around the same time. I did notice that after these people had gotten certain cards, others, sold later, began to decrease (since these set collectors had their examples already).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Prices in general are soft, but there are a few issues that seem particularlly cold.

1. T206s (especially higher grades)
2. Old Judges
3. E93, E95

Other harder to find caramels like E94s and E104s seem to be holding up well.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:45 pm

The only cards I have tracked consistantly in the last year or so is Mid-Grade Common Back T206 Hofers in sgc50/psa4 grades and they have remained pretty consistant in the 150-250 range depending on the player and pose. Excluding the big names of course.

Also Lower tier T3 Hofers seem steady in the 1K range for PSA4's and 2K for Psa5's

I also made a nice profit on some Rare Back M101 Commons last year, but that can only be atributed to a lucky buy.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:41 pm

w572s are still cheap, so you guys them alone until I get what I want Razz

I don't know how many people follow t205s but it seems to me that raw t205s are going for more than their graded counterparts. The only thing I can figure is that people are hoping to get a blind grader in hopes of making money on the flip. When it comes to cards that are in the 40/3 range, I'd rather spend the money on a slabbed card rather than take a chance on a raw card given current prices. There are just too many hidden flaws in t205s pull anything beyond a 4. I prefer raw cards, but I also don't want to overpay for a card, especially a common that is easy to find.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 am

I've got some votes for cold sets:
1935 Goudey 4 on 1s with puzzle backs - interesting, but a bit complicated.
R312 Pastel Premiums - images not too crisp, but nice groups of players, for example Cochrane & Hartnett on the same card:

Hot vs. Cold Sets Zoom10

Four people named, five shown. Who is not named?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Hot vs. Cold Sets Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Hot vs. Cold Sets Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down