Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New round of Baseball Card HOF

+11
bbcard1
bowlingshoeguy
crazylocomerk
cccc
jbonie
terjung
bruinsfan94
browncow75
TheBig6
ullmandds
sabrjay
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Empty Re: New round of Baseball Card HOF

Post by BigGuy219 Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:07 pm

I voted against the E107 Matty. I'm a fan of Mathewson, but I find the E107 one of the least desirable cards based solely on aesthetic qualities.

I think what hurts this card is that Mathewson (arguably the most popular star of the 1909-12 card boom) has some very extraordinary cards out there.

There's the classic horizontal caramel pose, which everyone pretty much got behind as one of the most iconic images of the era and is already in the HOF comes to mind.

As a secondary, I'd probably have to go with the '14 CJ over the E107. Again, if you have to turn the card 90 degrees to view it properly, collectors seem to go nuts. Add in the fact that the image was dropped for the 1915 issue and you have a ridiculus premium.

The E107 image was also used on the W600 and colorized on the T206 and M116 portraits. I think that hurts it as well.

I'm a tough HOF voter. I voted for the Just So Young and the '51 Bowman Mantle.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Empty Re: New round of Baseball Card HOF

Post by Bicem Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm

The e107 image is not the same as his t206 or m116 - that's actually 3 different images.

I personally think both the horizontal Mathewson cards mentioned above look nothing like him and that the '14 CJ card is downright ugly, no wonder they changed it to the Ben Falk image for 1915. It's rarity is overstated too, ridiculous premium is right.

I'm a tough voter too. I also understand people are voting by different criteria. I personally was trying to vote for cards that I think are important in the hobby instead of ones that I think just look neat. If we are voting primarily on aesthetics then put me down for the entire T3 set.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:17 pm

A bunch of tough voters all with different criteria = extremely few cards in the HOF.

Perhaps establishment of "HOF-worthiness" criteria would be in order?
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Come on now, do we want a watered down HOF like that players have? Razz
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:34 am

It would the the AAA for the HOF. juggler
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Voting closes this weekend so vote now before it closes.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:49 pm

wow 71% on the e107 matty. i need time to come up with some card sabr metrics to show its worthiness of the hall.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New round of Baseball Card HOF - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

yeah, tough crowd. I thought the e107 Matty was a shoe in.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Matty is getting closer. 72% now.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3