Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1933 Goudey cards

4 posters

Go down

1933 Goudey cards Empty 1933 Goudey cards

Post by newbieman Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Hello everyone, hope it has been a happy new year so far. I used to actively collect baseball and other sports cards as a boy in the late 60's and early 70's. However college, career, and family have a way of redirecting one's time, money and interests... Now I'm an empty nester approaching retirement and I thought about dusting off the old collections and perhaps getting back in the game.

While going through my 1933 Goudey cards I discovered that several of them have a crescent shaped hole punched through the date stamp on the front of the card. These holes were not punched recklessly as they all appear within the small circle , and the crescent shape of the hole still allows the date to be seen.

Does anyone else have any cards with these holes or know why these holes were punched?

newbieman
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
1933 Goudey cards Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1001933 Goudey cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

1933 Goudey cards Empty Re: 1933 Goudey cards

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Welcome aboard, and welcome back.

Any chance of getting a scan of the punch?

Lee

bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
1933 Goudey cards Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 1001933 Goudey cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:50 pm

There are Goudeys that were made with the "reprint" on them. it's possible that the hole is where that word would have appeared. Otherwise, let's hope they are legit and it's just something a store owner did as a local promotion.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
1933 Goudey cards Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1001933 Goudey cards Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

The first thing I thought of was the hole puncher that our paper boy used back in the day to keep track of payment for the newspaper delivery. Perhaps someone did that as a sign of ownership of the card.

I've heard of hole punching a card to string it up, but the crescent shape doesn't sound like that scenario.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
1933 Goudey cards Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 1001933 Goudey cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down