Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"He could call a sunset..."

5 posters

Go down

"He could call a sunset..." Empty "He could call a sunset..."

Post by pariah1107 Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Dave Niehaus, voice of the Seattle Mariners since their inaugural 1976 season passed away yesterday. That rich baritone was the voice of my childhood. As Jay Buhner said, "he could call a sunset...." A remarkable man, to be dearly missed in the Pacific Northwest and by baseball.
Share some stories of your favorite broadcasters, or moments.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"He could call a sunset..." Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"He could call a sunset..." Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

"He could call a sunset..." Empty Re: "He could call a sunset..."

Post by sabrjay Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Having lived in NorCal for a long time, I had to suffer through bad announcers with Giants. The most memorable was Ron Fairly. I'll never forget hearing "...and he's slid into 2nd with a stand up double."

I didn't hear this one but I've seen it in a lot of books, Jerry Coleman was the announcer for the Padres "Winfield goes back. It's deep. He's hit his head on the wall and it's rolling back to second base."
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"He could call a sunset..." Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"He could call a sunset..." Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Some of Dave's signature sayings; "My, Oh, My!", "Break out the rye bread and mustard grandma...it's grand salami time", but my favorite has to be when speaking of 2nd Baseman Joey Cora's many superstitions, "that beats wearing the same jock strap everyday".
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"He could call a sunset..." Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"He could call a sunset..." Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:30 pm

when i was younger every year i'd look forward to hearing vin scully's voice calling that first spring training game in vero beach...first telecast was always on a sunday. signifies spring is here and another baseball season is upon us.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
"He could call a sunset..." Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100"He could call a sunset..." Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't think I ever heard Dave Niehaus, but the post made me think of Vin Scully as well. Growing up in LA in the 70's, I spent many a night listening to Vin call Dodger games on my transistor radio when I was supposed to be asleep. Crazy that here we are all these years later and still, there he is. Between Vin Scully and Chick Hearn with the Lakers, LA sports fans really did have the best of the best for quite a long run.
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 pm

My memories are late at night, listening to the Colts/Astros on my grandfathers old 1940's Zenith Radio,
Anouncers were Gene Elston & Loel Passe
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
"He could call a sunset..." Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100"He could call a sunset..." Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down