Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!!

+8
cccc
bowlingshoeguy
Bicem
3-2-count
Square_Frame_Ramly
fisherboy7
sabrjay
ullmandds
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Empty Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!!

Post by ullmandds Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:03 pm

A few years ago...at the peak of the vintage bb card BOOM...when I was very active buying and selling on ebay...our good friend Brian Cataquet had an e90-2 Honus Wagner on the bay which I won...figuring this...my first Wagner card...would be my type for my HOF collection. Additionally I had already had a nice Phillippe which I had owned for many years prior. Fast forward to this past year I was able to acquire a 7 card lot of e90-2's for a very fair price at which time I decided this little set would be my first vintage set. I quickly picked up the Gibson leaving only the leach for completion. Ben...from Presidente and Brugal country in the lush lands of the Dominican Republic generously offered me his Leach to help me complete the set...with the caveat that I'd have to wait until late June for the card, upon his return to the great white north. I'm happy and proud to say the Leach arrived this past friday...and the e90-2 set is complete. Thanks to Ben, Tom Kindler...Brian "the lunatic" Cataquet and a few others for helping me complete this relatively easy set...and my first and only!

In summary...I used to think these e90-2's were pretty tough...but they're actually pretty easy to find...and...they are commonly mislabeled as e90-1's...or e104's...and can sometimes be had at bargain prices...happy sunday everyone...Go Yankees!! Whattsup with those twins these days?
[img]Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! E90-2-10[/img]
[img]Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! E90-2-13[/img]
[img]Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! E90-2-12[/img]

Last edited by ullmandds on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Empty Re: Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!!

Post by sabrjay Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Congrats. There is nothing like the feeling of completing a set. No matter how easy a set is it is always an accomplishment to complete a set. That's been the big appeal of e-card set for many in that you have small sets that aren't so easy to put together that they are still a challenge.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Empty Re: Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!!

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! 919468

And you're very welcome. While I've never had the discipline to complete a prewar set myself, I'm thrilled about getting an assist on yours! Nicely done Pete, great bunch of cards you have there. So why did the Wags get an AUT? Doesn't look trimmed to me. Once in a while you can score a decent deal from good ol' tobeeecat.

So what's next on the agenda? I know you're more of a type card guy just like me, but maybe this will inspire you towards another set building endeavor?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Nice....congrats!!!!

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Congratulations on the completion Pete. They look "GREAT"!!
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:33 pm

thanks guys...it's definitely a nice feeling.

Ben...I think SGC was reluctant to give the wags a numerical grade due to severe corner wear...I don't think it's trimmed. I bet PSA would give it a number grade...but PSA sucks...so for now I'm content...yet disappointed with its grade.

So now it will be back to my attempt at a master run of e's and t's. I'm down to about 5 e's and 6-8 t's...many of which are expensive and 1 or 2 you just never see... so I may never get there. But this has been my goal ever since seeing the Halper type spread in the old sport americana price guide...remember the color pages in the middle of the book...so I will press on!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:04 pm

well done, great looking set!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Funny...as I look at the order that I randomly scanned these cards and they just happen to fall in order that I obtained them...all except the Maddox and the Gibson!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Well done, Mr. Ullmandd's. It took you 40 years to finish something. Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Icon_biggrin Your parents should be proud.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Lee...you're too funny...have you fixed your toilet yet...I'm sure that'd make your mom proud! Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! 170215
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 am

Just got done fixing the toilet, the computer took priority over the toilet and now they are both running. Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! 140562
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:46 am

I'd have SGC review the Wagner, I don't believe corner wear alone would keep it out of an SGC 10 holder.

Are you going to get the Leach graded? Going to cross the Gibson? Would look amazing having the entire set in SGC holders imo.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:53 am

Bicem wrote:I'd have SGC review the Wagner, I don't believe corner wear alone would keep it out of an SGC 10 holder.

Completely agree, looks like a prime candidate for a regrade. Only other thing I can think of that could have caused the AUT is recoloring? Seems highly unlikely as well.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 am

Guys...I have no faith that SGC would change their mind on the wagner...maybe i'll try when i get the other 2 graded by them!

Lee...nice...it only took a week! Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! 517562
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:26 am

sgc suck...i've seen cards with a corner missing getting a 10 (cracker jacks come to mind). you can't tell me this wagner's had more paper stock worn away through natural wear than those CJs (that could've been clipped or cut)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Bicem wrote:I'd have SGC review the Wagner, I don't believe corner wear alone would keep it out of an SGC 10 holder.

I agree on this. If there is no tape on the back and you don't think it has been recolored or trimmed, I would absolutely resubmit it.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Congrats Pete! What an awesome looking set, and a very nice achievement.

And I'm with everyone else about the Wagner. Resubmit it and get that bump, because the card deserves it, from the looks of the front.

How does the back of the Wagner look?
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:51 pm

you guys have a lot more faith in sgc than I...I meant to bring him with me to work today and I was planning on scrutinizing him with my loupe all day to look for coloring, alteration...but I forgot. I'll look later on tonight and get back to you guys.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Congrats!
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:14 pm

nope...no color added that my black light aided loupe shows...just very worn corners...and wagners name partially cut off the bottom. Card measures within line of others that have been assigned a numerical grade. Do you have to pay or re-submissions? If so...what a racket?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:17 pm

I'd say crack it and sub it raw. I wouldn't want an AUTH slab tainted any decision they might make. I used to have a e101 Wagner that I did exactly that with and it came back with a 30.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:31 pm

ullmandds wrote:nope...no color added that my black light aided loupe shows...just very worn corners...and wagners name partially cut off the bottom. Card measures within line of others that have been assigned a numerical grade. Do you have to pay or re-submissions? If so...what a racket?!

Unfortunately, you do have to pay for resubmissions. Based on the number and the bar code, it doesn't look like it was a recently graded card. I'd resubmit that in the slab and ask for reasoning if it doesn't get a bump to a 10. Not having seen the back, it is tough for us to say what it should grade, but if it has no tape, no trimming, and no recoloring / altering, I see no reason why it wouldn't be expected to get the bump to a 10. Can you post a back scan?
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I'll post larger front and back scans when I get home tonight...for review. This card was very recently graded...in the past 4 months as well. To me this whole game in bullshit!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 pm

pm brian dwyer here, spacktrack...he'll tell you what you need to do. whenever i have a question about sgc brian has always been prompt and very helpful.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Empty bigger scans

Post by ullmandds Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Other than the wear...I can detect no alterations?

Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Honusf10
[img]Thanks to Ben in the Great White North...E90-2 is COMPLETE!! Honusb10[/img]
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next