Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would keep someone from buying this and......

5 posters

Go down

What would keep someone from buying this and...... Empty What would keep someone from buying this and......

Post by scott elkins Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:47 am

a cheap early cabinet card, then, taking the card off the cheap cabinet card (with a mount similar to T5's), and making this into a T5 Cabinet Cobb - thus, much much more expensive??? This seems like it would be easily done - Kevin?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-TY-COBB-PINKERTON-159-RARE-EARLY-POSTCARD-SGC-3_W0QQitemZ270208424521QQihZ017QQcategoryZ57993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
What would keep someone from buying this and...... Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What would keep someone from buying this and...... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What would keep someone from buying this and...... Empty Re: What would keep someone from buying this and......

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:52 am

Well the difference is that T5's are real photos mounted onto a cardboard backing. The Pinkerton PC's are not photographic - just regular postcard stock. Someone who didn't know this could be fooled pretty easily though I suppose.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What would keep someone from buying this and...... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What would keep someone from buying this and...... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

What would keep someone from buying this and...... Empty Re: What would keep someone from buying this and......

Post by cccc Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:08 am

obviously the thing to do is buy a beater t5 cab of jax/wagner/cobb, take out the photo and mount it onto an EXMT cab of a common player. i would think it's a simple process. even easier than jay's home-made e94 and e98 overprint stamp.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What would keep someone from buying this and...... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100What would keep someone from buying this and...... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:06 am

In addition to the points that Ben makes, the PC's are cropped different (slightly) from the original T5's. Quan's theory (as he and I have discussed) would work quite easily, especially if the person knew what he was doing and was aware of how the T5's were originally mounted.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
What would keep someone from buying this and...... Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What would keep someone from buying this and...... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:11 pm

That is a very good point made by Quan. It would be very easy to remount the picture of a bigger name player onto another mount.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What would keep someone from buying this and...... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What would keep someone from buying this and...... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info guys - I have only ever had a couple of the cabinets (no postcards or other unmounted T5's), so I thought those were the same as the photos mounted on the cabinets.

I do agree with Quan, as the way the T5's were mounted, make them easy targets for an old switcheroo!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
What would keep someone from buying this and...... Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What would keep someone from buying this and...... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down