Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimmed? Yes or No?

+4
sabrjay
TheRiddler
bowlingshoeguy
lamontcarter
8 posters

Go down

Trimmed? Yes or No? Empty Trimmed? Yes or No?

Post by lamontcarter Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-Piedmont-Tobacco-WILLIE-KEELER-HOF-w-bat_W0QQitemZ320439906920QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item4a9bb4f268

I need this card and the seller guarantees it's unaltered but it looks funny to me. What do you think?
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trimmed? Yes or No? Empty Re: Trimmed? Yes or No?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Tough call, It does throw some question up and at that price I would pass.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:59 pm

This is a tremendous card. I have one in lesser shape. The colors blast at you. This example however, is guaranteed by the seller as untrimmed (reportedly). Therefore, have it encapsulated for verification, and your concerns go away along with those of the guarantor.
Really it is mainly the right lower corner in question, and your scan presents this corner most unclearly.
Gil
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 am

I say trimmed

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 am

I think it might be trimmed too and although the seller guarantees otherwise, to me it's just not worth the time (and potential hassle) to work out a deal regarding a refund if it comes back trimmed after I submit it. I'll just have to wait for another one.

Someone here could just sell me one Trimmed? Yes or No? Icon_biggrin
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 pm

I think trimmed as well. For a Piedmont top to bottom looks to narrow. I understand that some cards can be OC, but the bottom isn't nearly long enough to have that short of a top.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Okay...I'll play.

I say not trimmed. For more than a few reasons.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:59 am

Kevin

Would love to hear your reasons for no other reason than some education on what to look for.

Thanks.

Scott
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:05 am

Kevin, I'd love to hear the reasons too as I respect your opinion and would like to know what you are seeing that I am not.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:48 pm

Based on that scan alone, I can't form a definitive opinion either way. It doesn't scream "trimmed" to me. The fat bottom border compensates for the thin top one, and I don't see any jaggedness to the top edge (maybe a slight slant cut, which doesn't necessarily mean trimmed).

The seller's feedback is encouraging, but considering the BIN price is no steal, you might want to just play it safe and wait for one you feel more comfortable with. Or just buy a graded one. It's not like it's a tough card to find.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:03 pm

This auction does have the "best offer" option available. Another avenue to take if you really like the card is to offer a price
you feel is more in line with the risk involved being it's a raw card. Who knows, he may just take it.

Tony A.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:13 pm

For many of the reasons "Fisherboy" brought up. It doesn't scream trimmed.

Here is my opinion based on the scan:

The borders are nice and big on all sides with the bottom compensating for the short top.

Trimmed cards are typically done to to improve the quality...this has nicely worn corners and some small edge stains and dings. Nothing really looks improved.

The frayed corners look very natural (tough to perfect after trimming)

No stray fibers or odd cut markings.

The biggest reason is the slant cut, both the bottom and top match nicely. Although it sounds like something that would be easy, it often will not match or one edge will be slanted and the other straight. For advanced card doctoring, to hide the cut, it would need to be reshaped and retoned. While reshaping, on a single side cut, it's hard to keep the slant exact. For some reason it always ends up straighter.

To me...it looks good. Who knows it may be cut to hell (LOL).

For fun, take an old (or new) card and try to add a natural looking stain or two and/or fray a couple corners while keeping (or making) it looked aged.

Kevin
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:16 pm

Kevin makes great points. The biggest deterrent for me is the price with the card having a few red flags. With the Best offer, if you feel the card is unaltered just give the seller a price you are comfortable with.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Yes or No? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trimmed? Yes or No? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down