Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimmed

3 posters

Go down

Trimmed Empty Trimmed

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 pm

You are at a show looking at a beautiful, desireable card in a holder which says "trimmed".
Because of the holder the price of the card is within your grasp, whereas normally it would require more than your wife would be happy with you spending.
You inspect the card carefully, then moreso, and you still can not determine where it is trimmed.

At this point do you rationalize "buy the card, not the holder", and scoff it up; because you can not see anything wrong with the card?
Or
Do you hate decptively trimmed material, and prefer those which are obvious hack jobs done for or by kids (for reasons other than deception)?
Or
Other?

My preference is hack jobs.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Trimmed Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Trimmed Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trimmed Empty Re: Trimmed

Post by wonkaticket Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 pm

I have nothing against trimmed cards per say, but I will elaborate if you like?

I have a few simple rules I follow…

· First the card can’t be an easy card to obtain or one that comes up frequently enough that I can obtain a good EX copy without the trim.

· Second the card has to be rare enough that an untrimmed version in similar shape would cost me significantly more.

· Third it can’t be a card I need for a set; it must be a type card I would like to have as part of my collection etc.

· Fourth and final, I won’t pay even close to retail. I’m buying it to keep and not too play the re-submit game etc. therefore if I ever sell the card or need too sell I have to be able to sell it to another person as trimmed at an attractive price.

I find by following those rules at least for me, there are some wonderful cards to be had if you can get past the trimmed hang up.

Trimmed Plankper20T204Trimmed Brownper20T204

P.S. Also at the risk of being stoned to death. I think there are a lot of cards that get the trimmed ticket that are not trimmed at all, just odd factory cuts that are part of a particular issue which the graders due to lack of experience label as trimmed etc.

wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trimmed Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Trimmed Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:15 pm

I agree with Wonka on this one. Here are a couple of trimmed cards I bought simply b/c finding Drum HOF'ers is such an arduous task - plus, the price was right on these as well!

Trimmed Drum_c12
Trimmed Drum_w11

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Trimmed Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Trimmed Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down