Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beckett What are you Doing? Beware

5 posters

Go down

Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Empty Beckett What are you Doing? Beware

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:49 am

I came across this auction, thought a 7 for that price was great, but if you look at the fuzzy scan close you can see that a 7 by this grading company is Very Good or Better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1912-HASSAN-TRIPLE-FOLDERS-T202-LOBERT-KLING-BGS-BCCG-7_W0QQitemZ250443341167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item3a4f961d6f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

What kind of grading scale is BCCG and what is exactly is the company? It appears to be Beckett but what are they doing?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Empty Re: Beckett What are you Doing? Beware

Post by cccc Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:30 pm

bccg was a subventure between beckett and home shopping network (don west). hsn would send all the cards to beckett, and they'd be graded under the bccg brand....not very strict standard at all and i presume it's to dupe joe shmoe from indiana into thinking his BCCG 10 (nrmt or better) Pujols is a bargain compared to the PSA/SGC 10s prices back in the day.

creative thinking...
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Empty wow that is weak

Post by lentel Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:13 am

H ow weak is that? So what would a bccg 5 be poor or better? Where did they come up with a scale like that?
lentel
lentel
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Empty Re: Beckett What are you Doing? Beware

Post by cmoking Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 pm

It is obvious the numeric scale used by BCCG is for deception purposes. If someone with too much time on their hands decided to sue them, any chance they could win and/or at least stop this stupid practice?

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure that the BCCG service is meant as a quick opinion regarding the grade of the card. So people can submit their cards to find out what BGS will grade the card if they submit it for a real inspection of the condition. I don't think they actually give the card much scrutiny when reviewing it, but when they return it and it says the grade is "NM or Better", then if you were to submit it for real, it would not get a grade lower than NM but might grade higher.

I agree that it is deceptive, I was duped several years ago when I bought a lot of 5 Griffey rookies graded BCCG 9 thinking they would be equivilant to PSA 9's. When I got them and the flip said "NM-MT or Better" I was pissed. Luckily I didn't pay much for them at all so I wasn't pissed for very long.

Also, I believe that BCCG 5 is the lowest grade available at "Poor or Better", so the grading scale is 5 - 10 instead of 1 - 10.

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Beckett What are you Doing?  Beware Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down