Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What makes up the "core" of your collection?

+11
bowlingshoeguy
Bicem
terjung
docpatlv
rhettyeakley
Comisky
sabrjay
crazylocomerk
ullmandds
TheBig6
fisherboy7
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What makes up the "core" of your collection? Empty What makes up the "core" of your collection?

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Let's hear a little about the "core" of your collection - and by core, I mean the cards you see as being mainstays in your collection for the foreseeable future. How many cards? From what sets/eras? What is your focus?

For me, I have about 100 prewar cards total, but the core consists 30 cards or so - mostly HOFers and type cards (or a combination of both whenever possible). I really enjoy HOFers from tougher (but not impossible) sets like D359, D304, E104, T204, E270, etc. And of course, non HOFers from super tough sets like my new favorite N321 Sweeney card!

# Breakdown -

19th Century - 3 cards
Tobacco - 6 cards
Caramel - 10 cards
Misc (D, W, M, etc) - 10 cards
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

What makes up the "core" of your collection? Empty Re: What makes up the "core" of your collection?

Post by TheBig6 Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I would say the Core of my collection is also Hofers. The most treasured are the 19th century cabinet cards but I also like the mainstream sets such as T206, T201,T202 & a few E-cards etc. I like these cards and it is more economical way for me to have Mid-Grade Hofers.
When I started collecting for the second time (1987) ,absent my childhood collecting. Condition was everything and it has been hard for me to collect many cards graded lower than VG/EX which kinda limits the rarer type cards I'm able to afford.
19th Century 5 Cabinets
T cards approx. 40 Cards
E Cards 5 Cards
Misc. 10 cards
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

What makes up the "core" of your collection? Empty Re: What makes up the "core" of your collection?

Post by ullmandds Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:28 pm

I am a type collector...I've been a t206 backs collector for over 20 years and have been trying to collect a run of e, t, and to a lesser extent d cards while peppering in cards I love. I have about 150 vintage cards and I'd say the core consists of about 50-60 cards...most of which are types(lenox, red hindu, broad leaf, red cross, coupon)...whether in really nice condition for the set(d359,d311,t's)...or hof'er(e90-2 wags, e95 cobb, e220 ruth)...or super scarcities(e102 miller fielding, 1910 obak series 150 Wolverton). the breakdown would be something like this:

-20 t cards
-20 e cards
-5 d cards
5-10 carious others

Last edited by ullmandds on Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:37 pm

The core of my collection is T216's and T206's. Both my favorite sets. I did have a wide variety of tobacco and caramel cards at the beginning of the year, only to sell them all off to concentrate on 2 sets that I'm working on (T216's and T206 back variations w/HOFer fronts). I was more of a type collector until this point. I currently have 26 of the 35 T206 backs I'm going after.

19th Century - 0 cards
Tobacco - 56 cards (24-T216's, 1 T214, 31 T206's)
Caramel - 5 cards
Misc (D, W, M, etc) - 0 cards
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I've narrowed my collecting focus to 3 sets, Delongs, t205s and Diamond Stars. I'd say the core my collection is the m101-5 Thorpe, the Delongs and t205s. I love the Diamond Stars set, but I can also see parting with it after I complete it to collect something else. The Delongs and t205s are going nowhere as they are truly my two favorite sets. If start another set, it will be a complete 50 card set of n162s.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

What makes up the "core" of your collection? Empty My core...

Post by Comisky Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 pm

I primarily collect five players (Ruth, Cobb, Matty, Shoeless Joe, Wagner) and T206's. I have been collecting the same five players for about 7 years and have been able to acquire most of their cards on my checklist. I am also collecting a raw T206 set (I buy most graded and crack them out) and have become totally addicted to the monster. I am kinda collecting the monster in two different ways. One, is to collect the basic set and, two, I am also collecting American Beauty 350 framed backs. I figure both ways of collecting the monster will be fun and will take a long time to put together.

I also have about 75-100 other pre war cards, but I would say that my player cards and the T206's are my core. I don't really see trading what I have for anything else out there. I really just want to add to my collection from here on out.

Jeff
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 am

The "Core" of my collection are probably the sets or "runs" I am going after. In no particular order...

-E254 Near Set (need ~50 for master set of all variations)
-E270 Red Borders & Tin Tops (have ~30-40 from each of the 2 sets)
-Zeenuts 1911-1923 (have ~350-400 different)
-E121-like cards (have ~200-250 from all the sets)
-Player pinbacks, pre-1930 (have ~100 different)

Most everything else I have is somewhat "available" at the right price, although not explicitly for sale.

-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by docpatlv Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:00 am

Pete U,

"5-10 carious others"...Man brother, you need a vacation. I'm surprised Rhett didn't pick up on that.

I don't really have what I would consider a core to my collection. I can never stay focused on any one issue, but have been plugging away at my PX7 Master set, also working on Helmar and Piedmont stamps, S74 silks, and a few other issues. But if I see cards that I like, I purchase if I can. There is no rhyme or reason to my collection, I collect a little bit of everything, but I'm happy in doing so.

Mike
docpatlv
docpatlv
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:25 am

My core collection is made up of E107 HOFers and '33 Goudey HOFers in EX/NM condition. I feel that together they make up a nice cross section of early HOFs

I also am collecting the significant players from Big Red Machine's rookie cards in NM+ condition or better. I know it may be taboo to discuss that though since that goes into the 60s and 70s.

Truthfully, I have only reentered the hobby after stopping collecting the shiny stuff about 15 years ago. I never owned anything older than '80s cards until buying my first vintage card early last fall. So, I am still a noobie in the vintage game.

Brian
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:09 pm

When questions are asked about your collection, anything is fair game. The focus of the board is pre-WW2 cards, but if your collection includes other eras or items, everyone should feel free to talk about them in a thread like this.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Mike, me not catching that probably means I need a vacation too. It just didn't seem too out of place!
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Core collection is postcards I like with an emphasis on HOFer's.

I love 19th century stuff too but the stuff that appeals to me (rare issues, cabinets) is just so pricey.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:25 pm

sabrjay wrote:When questions are asked about your collection, anything is fair game. The focus of the board is pre-WW2 cards, but if your collection includes other eras or items, everyone should feel free to talk about them in a thread like this.

In that case, I do have nine modern 1/1 cards that together comprise a decent value. They are from last year's Sportkings return to the hobby and were their best inserts. I know... I know... ugly word, but I think the cards are quite cool. They are cut signatures of nine of the presidents along with photographs of them doing something sports related. Here is a link to their images.. http://tinyurl.com/94cw3k Warning: NSFSVCE (Not safe for some vintage collector's eyes). If malaise occurs, do not induce vomiting, but immediately go to www.oldcardboard.com Seek medical attention if condition continues.

These nine presidents and I have been talking though and we have come to an agreement that it is about time they find a new owner so that more room can be made for E107 HOFers.

So, they kind of represent the last of the holdouts for the modern era cards in my collection. They are probably more "potential core" due to value than actually "core" at this point.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:57 pm

that's hilarious...a major freudian...er I mean G.V. Blackian...slip there! I had no idea! I suppose I also have a bat and some memorabilia that I consider "core" to my collection...so this can be implanted into the caries secton! nahnahnah

those damn red sox!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:19 pm

I finally got moved in with the girlfriend this weekend and unpacked everything. I forgot a couple of cards that will never leave my collection, my e92 Nadja Rebel Oakes, my die cut t206 Johnson portrait and my red border Colgan Speaker. My 1933 WWG Paul Richards probably isn't going anywhere as that is one of the classic catcher cards of all-time.
What makes up the "core" of your collection? ColganWhat makes up the "core" of your collection? E92oakesWhat makes up the "core" of your collection? Johnson
not my card but in similar shape
What makes up the "core" of your collection? 536e_12

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Basically this is it for me, the rest is Extraneous Fluff
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Wright_1What makes up the "core" of your collection? Keefe2What makes up the "core" of your collection? Kelly3
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Ward2What makes up the "core" of your collection? Commy_1
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:26 pm

The main core of my collection is my T202 set and the never ending quest for one of each back. The other main focus is T206 Cycle 460 backs current total of 64, have not seen any I need lately. My collection also includes many more T206s but have tried to change my focus to backs other than common Piedmont and SC. I have lately been trying to make a half ass effort to finally finish my 56Topss set.

I do many many other cards in collection with no focus, I just have them and like them. Focus is tough but I have found that I am getting better at it.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 pm

I also collect 1950's and 1960's cards so I'll count those too. Most of my t205's will stay along with a few other type cards.

t-cards: about 15
n-cards: 1
e-cards: 0
Misc. Cards: 1
50'sand60's: about 20

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:29 pm

I have specific theme "sets" which include post war players, such as:
- the 20th century 500+ HR club
- the 20th century .600 slugger club (well only Williams is post war)
- Negro Leaguers who made it to MLB (any length NeL stay is ok)
- Reserve Clause fighters (Flood, McNally, Messersmith, Gardella (as well as several pre-war)
- Other specific historical occurances which I elect to commemorate: 1968 - the year of the pitcher (Gibson, Drysdale, McLain, etc.); 1959 Burdette/Haddix game + Face 18-1; 1955 both Campanella & Berra get their third MVP awards;1947 Mize: 50+ HRs with <50 Ks ... and way more.
Smile
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:57 am

Trivia Question:

Who was Danny Gardella, and what did he have to do with the reserve clause?
And for #2 - what baseball cards exist for him?
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

What makes up the "core" of your collection? Empty My Focus

Post by r337man Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm

1910 Washington Times and 1910 and 1914 Baltimore News Schedule cards. Both were issued with newspapers and I love them because they are local and very rare.

1933 George C Miller uncanceled cards. I have 3 complete type I sets and am within 2 cards of having the only known complete type II uncanceled set. A truly tough issue.

Finally, 1933 R337 Eclipse Import. A fairly tough issue that is about as ugly as it gets! Not popular but tough to complete.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Any scans of an eclipse, not sure if I have seen one.

Thanks

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Any scans of an eclipse, not sure if I have seen one.
Here's one of mine:

What makes up the "core" of your collection? R337Vergez
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What makes up the "core" of your collection? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What makes up the "core" of your collection? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 pm

The Eclipse set is the one where a gorilla is identified as Babe Ruth.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon May 04, 2009 3:07 pm

That was a perfect description Jay!! I needed that chuckle this morning. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next