Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008?

+9
Bicem
glenv
cccc
terjung
sabrjay
TheBig6
Bosox Blair
Square_Frame_Ramly
fisherboy7
13 posters

Go down

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Empty Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008?

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:13 am

It has been an eventful year in the hobby for many of us. Lots of ups and downs, but let's focus on the positive. What do you consider to be your most significant hobby accomplishments of 2008?

For me, I managed to pick up a card that's been on my wantlist for a long time, a T204 Ramly Plank:

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Newplank

I also pulled off some great trades with fellow board members for some cards that I really enjoy owning now. That's always fun. And lastly, I've widdled my way closer to a low grade E96 set, now only needing 5 more cards for completion (with all the HOFers out of the way). This will be the first prewar set I've ever completed, as I'm mostly a type collector.

All in all, I'd say it's been a good year for me collecting-wise. dancing monkey

How about you?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Empty For me...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:21 am

Getting the T227 Ty Cobb to the collecting hobby was my 2008 accomplishment. Although i did not find it, i sold it for a friend and he was happy with the price he received. It was funny hearing his story about the Cobb mixed with other T227 cards found in a barn. The guy had no idea what he had.

I feel there is such a thing as Karma naughty ...i could have told the guy it was worth $100 and paid him but i would never do that.

beer To a great 2009.....

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Empty Re: Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008?

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:43 am

I would say my most significant hobby accomplishment for 2008 was getting back into old card collecting after a several year hiatus. I have definitely jumped back in with both feet!

Another great hobby accomplishment for me this year was discovering this forum as well as the Net54 forum. Through the good people who post on these two forums I managed to acquire all 3 Red Sox cards from the E95 set (amongst other great deals).

Looking forward to more collecting and meeting more hobby folks in 2009!

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Empty Re: Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008?

Post by TheBig6 Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:23 am

First let me say Happy Holidays to everybody santa

I have managed to add some nice cards to my collection this year,
Some Highlites include
N173 Comisky (Trade w/ Forum Member)
T206 Cobb bat On SGC 50 (Bought from Forum Member)
E96 Lajoie PSA 3.5 (19th Century Auction)
M101-5 Walsh (Famous & Barr) PSA 6 (Card Show)
Plus many others, it's been a good year over all

One thing I have done lately due mainly becuase the economy has slowed down Ebay Auctions in the Pre-30 catagory, I have been reliving my childhood, by picking up some 50's hofers. I find it fun and refreshing after 20yr hiatis from these cards.

I would like to add that Full Count has had a great year and I have really enjoyed my time spent conversing with fellow collectors about these little treasures we so love.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Jerry

PS. If you haven't looked lately, Check my collection here.
http://imageevent.com/ruckers
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:11 am

My major hobby accomplishment, would be with the help of Ben and others, getting this board up and running. Next would be the total revamping of my collection. I changed focus from trying to one card of major leaguer depicted as major leaguer to going by to my roots and working on my 3 favorites sets, t205, Delong and Diamond Stars.

Here's to another great year of expanding the collection and making the board better than ever grow even bigger.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:23 am

sabrjay wrote:My major hobby accomplishment, would be with the help of Ben and others, getting this board up and running.
Oh yeah...that too Razz I guess the only reason I didn't include that is because it has been more of a collective effort than an individual accomplishment.

sabrjay wrote:
Here's to another great year of expanding the collection and making the board better than ever grow even bigger.
beer to that!

Last edited by fisherboy7 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:29 am; edited 2 times in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:27 am

Like Blair, I would say that my big (card collecting) accomplishment is my new enlightenment into the world of vintage baseball cards as of July 2008. I can truly say that I am addicted to old cardboard. I suppose a secondary accomplishment would be getting my E107 collection off to a solid start.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:17 am

freaking great...saw this thread, opened up my document to view what i'd done in 2008. oh wait it's not there! i must've deleted it a few days ago. now trying to find a software to recover it. the last hardtext backup i have is dated 5/24/2006. flaming mad
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:26 pm

More types! There aren't a lot of ACC issues left that I need (and can afford), so I didn't expect much in '08. However, I had a pretty good year and picked up some interesting items, including:

1932 M101-8 Sporting News
1910 T100 Silhouettes
1956 V-Unc Parkhurst self-developing
1948 D324 Gentle's Bread
1915 W-Unc B&W issue
M101-4 w/ Holmes-to-Homes back
M101-4 w/ Everybody's back

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:54 pm

My favorite 2008 accomplishments...

1) Bid McPhee studio cabinet
2) Acquiring half the w601 PC set
3) Finally getting a website together for the collection

http://www.freewebs.com/bicem/index.htm
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:33 pm

I was able to give a little back to the hobby by writing my first published article - Toy Town! bananarama 2
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggum Fan Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Mine is easy - starting to collect again. I decided to start again in the Spring and haven't looked back.

Wiggum Fan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:45 am

My biggest accomplishment for the Hobby would be discovering a JL Wilkinson card which made a lot of Hall of Fame rookie card collectors happy. My biggest accomplishment for my own collection would be adding 9 Omaha N172s this year including the Nichols.
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 am

Once more, I was fortunate enough to be able to help the hobby. Here are a few examples:

I worked with Beckett and helped them with the security of their flips and holders. Had a couple articles published....I think it was around my 15th or so. They also passed the doctored cards test with flying colors (nice job too). Great group of guys over there!

Went to Global a few times and worked with Mike Baker to help him identify some new doctoring techniques (way outside of the box) and show him in detail how each was done. On the flip side (no pun intended) he teaches me more and more about the fine art of grading. Helped develop their new counterfeit resistant flips. After several years, we finally got the new matchbook/matchcover grading and standards launched. They also have most of my doctored cards (slabbed as altered) which will be shown on their website and accompany them at shows to help collectors. If you get a chance go check them out...nothing like seeing them up-close and in person. Some still have both Baker and I shaking our heads. I still think he is best all-around grader in the hobby. One day I hope we can team-up.

Tried my best to show PSA (Orlando) where they had huge security issues and flaws with their flips and slabs...and was completely ignored. I even sent Joe some home-made flips that were near perfect and offered to take a couple days off work to help their head graders at no cost. Not sure what more I could do. Now they have big problems with counterfeit and forgeries...it wasn't without several warnings. frustrated

Was very successful in ignoring SGC in every aspect. Will next year be the year that they......? Suspect
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:41 pm

No good deed ever goes unpunished Kevin.

Thanks for doing your best to make our hobby as safe as possible.
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:25 pm

No good deed ever goes unpunished Kevin.

...and it hasn't.

I've been blessed with great long-time hobby friends and a community that has learned to trust many (not all) of my opinion's. I can say with all honesty that I have been able to open many eyes that were previously fused shut and now there are serious collectors out there who step back and look twice before making those big purchases. I'm one lucky guy.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 pm

slidekellyslide wrote:My biggest accomplishment for the Hobby would be discovering a JL Wilkinson card which made a lot of Hall of Fame rookie card collectors happy.
Interesting Dan, would you be willing to show us the image Question
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Jlwilkinson

Wilkinson is in the suit in the back row...he managed this team when he lived in Des Moines and worked for Hopkins Bros Sporting Goods...he later moved to Kansas City and played/managed the All Nations team (also a Hopkins Bros sponsored team) This was all prior to his forming the Kansas City Monarchs in the Negro League. Before my discovery this was a postcard that commonly traded for less than $20...in fact I bought two of them off of ebay before my discovery for less than $10 each. Since my discovery the card has traded for as much as $500. I contemplated holding this information to myself so I could hoard them Twisted Evil , but felt the info was too important to hobbyists. I noticed that Rob Lifson used this info in his April auction when he sold a JL Wilkinson rppc from the All-Nations team that surfaced shortly after I made my research public. I've also noted two ebayers have since used my research also to help sell the Hopkins card.
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Very cool stuff. It's always nice when people are willing to share new information rather than keep it secret. Hope your card collecting kharma has been off the charts for doing this.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Your Significant Hobby Accomplishments of 2008? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down