Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

please tell me this D304 is reprint....

+3
fisherboy7
bowlingshoeguy
Square_Frame_Ramly
7 posters

Go down

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Empty please tell me this D304 is reprint....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Empty Re: please tell me this D304 is reprint....

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:42 pm

I would like to know what signs to look for when detecting a reprint on this issue. I have a couple that are reprints but not sure the reason why.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Empty Re: please tell me this D304 is reprint....

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Definitely a reprint. Some of these d304 fakes can be pretty convincing though. But there are subtle differences, mainly having to do with the color/detail of the image.

Here's the D304 Wagner in question next to an authentic example (it's in a PSA 8 holder btw). Note how the colors on the reprint are rather dull and washed out. On the authentic one, there is signficantly more contrast between the light and dark colors (the whites are quite a bit whiter and the blues/greens are much deeper).

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Wagner10please tell me this D304 is reprint.... D304wa11

I'd imagine that if you had the card in hand, it would be fairly easy to tell it was fake because of the card stock. Also, the corners on the fake one appear artificially rounded. The dark outline around the edges of the border is also strange.

Here's the fake back (left) next to an authentic Weber back (right). See any differences?

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Tmpphp10please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Weber10
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Empty Ha,Ha...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:52 pm

He already lowered the BIN price to $750!!!

He knows its a reprint.

mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:00 pm

most of the time the color is off, sometimes the back combination is wrong. if my memory is right the reprinted photos are cropped also...but it's mostly the color like ben says.

i haven't ran across a really good prewar caramel or bread issue fake. i think they're hard to duplicate 100%. i fear more about the home-made counterfeits. all the technology are there, you just need the right cardboard/paper, but luckily people with access to those tools and resources are not utilizing them to make fake e98 lajoies.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Empty And....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:39 am

its gone....seller says item no longer available.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:40 am

This is an obvious reprint as the graphics are horrible. However, there are some decent reprints of this set out there that you can't tell by a scan. In person though, loop your D304 and make sure the dot pattern stops at the picture and does not run into the name font. The good reprints have the dot pattern on the entire card. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:51 pm

How about this D304 Evers? Looks iffy to me, but very borderline. The murky colors and corner rounding (similar to the fake Wagner discussed above) have me thinking that it's fake. If it is, it's one of the more convincing D304 fakes I've seen.

Thoughts?

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... B659_110please tell me this D304 is reprint.... B7b4_110
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:51 pm

i'm no expert on these...but...the back looks fake to me!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Empty oh yea...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 pm

looks artificially aged...i am also no expert but you would think these sellers would spend the few $'s for a card like this to get graded.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcard Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Ben,

The Evers is also not authentic D304.

Your comments earlier in the thread are spot on and apply to this card as well, but the Brunners backed reprints are a bit different.

As Dan said, there are some pretty "good" reprints for this issue, but with the Brunners back, they haven't been able to get the forest green color correct.

The main thing I look for is the corners and colors. The corners of authentic D304 don't age like this. Also, the back of the reprints are almost always off center from top to bottom with a larger area of blank stock on the bottom.

I've tried to win a few reprints of this type to compare up close with the original cards, but there seems to be so much shill bidding going on that whenever I place a bid I get outbid right away. I can't ever justify placing an additional bid.

Rob

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100please tell me this D304 is reprint.... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down