Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In exchange for a card with superior appearance,

+4
psacollector
cccc
arandy
ItsOnlyGil
8 posters

Go down

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Empty In exchange for a card with superior appearance,

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:02 pm

are you willing to consider some alterations in order to reduce costs?

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Johnso10

For this card, would you accept:

- Rebuilt corners
- Stain/ink removal
- Other removals (writing, tape, etc.)
- Recoloring
- Trimming
- Rebacked

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Johnso12In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Eb75_111

This is an example of the tradeoff. Both W. Johnsons have recently sold on ebay for about the same price. A SGC Authentic and a PSA 3.

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Empty Re: In exchange for a card with superior appearance,

Post by arandy Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm

I wouldn't mind buying a card like that if the only problem it had was some kind of removal.
-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Empty Re: In exchange for a card with superior appearance,

Post by cccc Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:20 pm

only if the price is right...i would not pay VG price for that particular card (appearance of EX+) because i can find a similar-looking legit 40 (EX front, small paper loss back....nice front/back, small corner wrinkle). it's a tradeoff buying altered cards, but at some point it's no longer smart to do so.

now if i think there's nothing wrong with that card and it would get a numerical grade, then that's another story.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Generally I would much prefer a lower grade card that has never been tampered with over a trimmed or recolored card with better aesthetics. Alteratons is not the kiss of death it once was, but it is still frowned upon in this hobby. I would consider buying the card with alterations if it was significantly cheaper though.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mwieder Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 pm

I'll take the value of the "Authentic" card every time.

mwieder
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/

Back to top Go down

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Empty Funny you should ask this question

Post by O'Brien Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I was recently faced with something similar. The card in question was a SGC A Willis Drum, you have all seen it around, looks BAD. I am a HOF backs collector on a budget, basically I sell off my childhood stuff to pay for my T habit (takes a lot to buy a little), and catch crap from the wife if I charge a $50 common. I have to have a Drum for the line (usualy collect SGC 40-50).
Drum Willis SGC A= $275 deliverd
Drum HOF SGC 40= $4500ish
So I do it as; "is it possble to ever own X in my grade"? If not, go get the A for fractions on the dollar. I will only do it again for a HOF BL460, if the price is right.
Take care,
Bob

O'Brien
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Part of the beauty of your set Bob, is when you review the cards, you also review all of the considerations and comprimizes that went along with many of the acquisitions. I have one card which shut down my buying activity for seven months to get. Another so beat that other beaters struggle to their feet to salute it, as it hobbles by. And so on ... it's all for the fun!
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Empty You made me chuckle

Post by O'Brien Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 pm

That is FUNNY!!

O'Brien
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:11 am

For this card, would you accept:

- Rebuilt corners NO!!!!
- Stain/ink removal YES!!!!
- Other removals (writing, tape, etc.) YES!!!!
- Recoloring NO!!!!
- Trimming NO!!!!
- Rebacked NO!!!!

My two cents......

Tony A.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:43 am

$275 for a HOFer Drum that may be trimmed but is presentable is a great price. If you are on a budget you definately need to take these considerations into account when you want really tough stuff. To me it is all about appearance.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:55 am

Bob, I usually don't show this old soldier e4xcept on special occasions. But today is kinda special, so ...

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Delaha10
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:57 am

Ooops, thats not the one ...

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Keeler10

No, no, no ...

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Willia10
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

In exchange for a card with superior appearance, Empty Holy Beaters!!!

Post by O'Brien Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:42 am

We need to have a high end beater trading day! I am going after Big Ed!
That is goooood stuff!

O'Brien
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down